The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

On all the GG recordings I have, the opportunities to hear his comping is a bit limited.

If hearing GG comp is something you want to hear, I stumbled on a recording with Baby Face Willette called Face to Face, think I paid AU$4 on iTunes, his comping is the star of the show on some of the tracks.

Face to Face (feat. Fred Jackson, Grant Green & Ben Dixon) by Baby Face Willette on Apple Music

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great album! That whole record swings so hard.

I have a sentimental attachment to it as well, I bought that on CD right after I bought my house...I listened to it as I cleaned out the garage. Funny what you can remember, ain't it?

Speaking of sentimental, here's another record where gg plays plenty of chords you can hear.. in typical grant fashion, there are no unneeded notes

User Info Menu

Yes Jeff the Ike Quebec album is pretty cool.

This Sony Red with Grant Green album really does it for me also, maybe cause Sonny Red is so cool

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I will have to give a listen. I first heard him comping during the bass solo from I'll remember April and is sounded good - sparse but good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    On all the GG recordings I have, the opportunities to hear his comping is a bit limited.

If hearing GG comp is something you want to hear, I stumbled on a recording with Baby Face Willette called Face to Face, think I paid AU$4 on iTunes, his comping is the star of the show on some of the tracks.

Face to Face (feat. Fred Jackson, Grant Green & Ben Dixon) by Baby Face Willette on Apple Music
    Mark, he comps on all his recordings with Organ players. You can hear him clear on nearly all of them.
    He never comped much at all on piano sessions.
    Someone made a great post in a thread last year (I think), that he was an innovator and pioneer in Guitar/Organ comping and he surely was.
    The Prestige sessions he did as a sideman in the late Sixties feature this side of his playing - and Bob Porter who produced those sessions says Green was specifically recruited for that purpose.
    I've always been fascinated by his comping in Organ settings. You can see some of the shapes and inversions he uses on the Paris footage.
    The Baby Face Willette albums are superb stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Speaking of sentimental, here's another record where gg plays plenty of chords you can hear.. in typical grant fashion, there are no unneeded notes

I'm a huge Ike Quebec fan.. I think he's really underrated.

Am I wrong in thinking Grant's comping style is so we can better hear the organ do it's thing?

Another underrated player, check Quentin Warren's comping with Jimmy Smith on The Champ (17 minutes in):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Am I wrong in thinking Grant's comping style is so we can better hear the organ do it's thing?
    It wouldn't surprise me. I haven't listened to too much of Grant, but I do know there's a whole course on TrueFire devoted entirely to organ trio comping, so I'm sure there are peculiarities.

User Info Menu

check out talkin about...one of the most adventurous grant green records...trio with larry young and elvin jones...more trane than soul jazz..larry young was a modern organist, not typical cocktail organ jazzer...grant comps like crazy behind him and they all really soar

check around the 5 minute mark...after gg solo's, its larry turn..and grant gets rhythm busy

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-02-2018 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertoart
    Mark, he comps on all his recordings with Organ players. You can hear him clear on nearly all of them.
    He never comped much at all on piano sessions.
    Someone made a great post in a thread last year (I think), that he was an innovator and pioneer in Guitar/Organ comping and he surely was.
    The Prestige sessions he did as a sideman in the late Sixties feature this side of his playing - and Bob Porter who produced those sessions says Green was specifically recruited for that purpose.
    I've always been fascinated by his comping in Organ settings. You can see some of the shapes and inversions he uses on the Paris footage.
    The Baby Face Willette albums are superb stuff.
    Guitar comping when there is a piano player is often 'weak' since the piano player doesn't wish (or need), such comping since they are doing that with their left hand.

I find the most interesting guitar comping with a guitar\bass\drums trio backing a sax or trumpet (E.g. Something Different by Dexter Gordon). Since the left hand of a organ player in a trio setting is typically playing the bass, this setting also leaves 'room' for niffy guitar comping.

Quarters that feature a vibe instead of a piano have some cool guitar comping. E.g. Joe Pass and Milt Jackson album Quadrant. Joe does some great comping when Milt is soloing (Joe also has some of his more energized solos on what I find to be my favorite Joe recording).

User Info Menu

.... and the scratchy 330/p90 sound is so great for creating energy.

Wrapped that I put a Lindy Fralin P90 in a humbucker in my 175, I think it six in a bands mix much more better, to my ears of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    check out talkin about...one of the most adventurous grant green records...trio with larry young and elvin jones...more trane than soul jazz..larry young was a modern organist, not typical cocktail organ jazzer...grant comps like crazy behind him and they all really soar

check around the 5 minute mark...after gg solo's, its larry turn..and grant gets rhythm busy

cheers
    Hah, I was going to post this one neatomic, It was the 1st tune that came to mind when subject was posted, maybe the most memorable as far as Grant comping.
    And probably my favorite of the young green jones sessions.
    Jammin!

User Info Menu

Resonance records about to release two live GG recordings one late 60s one mid 70s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hah, I was going to post this one neatomic, It was the 1st tune that came to mind when subject was posted, maybe the most memorable as far as Grant comping.
    And probably my favorite of the young green jones sessions.
    Jammin!
    Yes brilliant comping on this one. Actually Grant doesn't do any comping on his other two Blue Note leader sessions with Larry Young, Street Of Dreams and I Want To Hold Your Hand. He comps all through the Verve album with Larry Young though, especially nice on Willow Weep For Me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertoart
    Yes brilliant comping on this one. Actually Grant doesn't do any comping on his other two Blue Note leader sessions with Larry Young, Street Of Dreams and I Want To Hold Your Hand. He comps all through the Verve album with Larry Young though, especially nice on Willow Weep For Me.
    I think little in the way of comping on "Into Something," too, my favorite Larry/Grant collab...

The fact that GG doesn't comp on all of these records, but does on some, leads me to beleive a few things:

1. These cats talked about the music before they played, decided what was necessary

2. GG lived by the Jim Hall adage: "Don't just play something, sit there!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Guitar comping when there is a piano player is often 'weak' since the piano player doesn't wish (or need), such comping since they are doing that with their left hand.
    I've seen it done extremely well, though. One of my old teachers played with one particular pianist for quite a while, and the two of them developed a tandem comping style that was pretty great.

With my group, I'll comp along with the piano, but I'll use fairly sparse voicings. (We talked about taking turns, but it appears he is physically incapable of keeping his hands off the keyboard.)

If I'm playing with someone I doin't know, I'll ask what he or she wants. I don't mind laying out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I've seen it done extremely well, though. One of my old teachers played with one particular pianist for quite a while, and the two of them developed a tandem comping style that was pretty great.

With my group, I'll comp along with the piano, but I'll use fairly sparse voicings. (We talked about taking turns, but it appears he is physically incapable of keeping his hands off the keyboard.)

If I'm playing with someone I doin't know, I'll ask what he or she wants. I don't mind laying out.
    Love that comment about "keeping his hands off the keyboard"! Yea, that is really the key. The pianist has to welcome the guitar player joining in on comping and both players really need to LISTEN to ensure they are a tandem.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 03-08-2018 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    Interesting. I bought this long ago with the Mosaic Larry Young compilation. Always thought it was Larry Youngs recording date ......
    Great album!!!!