Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Jimi did chicken out. Jazz musicians would chicken out when it came to doing R&B in Japan. They would do R&B in the states but not the far east.
    Everyone should chicken out. It's a good way to keep your sanity.
    Well that makes sense that he wouldn't want to play in rapidly changing chord unfamiliar landscapes.

Jimi Jammed with McLaughlin etc.

And played with King Curtis and Rahsann Roland Kirk.

But on non modulating harmonic landscapes.

If they used' Watermelon Man ' or even 'Heard it Thru the Grapevine'...I imagine he would have done it.
    R&B Standards essentially.

Jimi should have asked for 'Night Train '..

For me personally this raises an interesting point about basic skills though.

Quincy got great Solos out of Van Halen [ Beat It - amazing Solo ] and other rockers....but with thousands of Recording Sessions etc.. he probably knows that he usually had to simplify and put aside the Charts when the Rockers come in ...
    Unless it's Session Guys ( literate ) who also play Rock etc.

As a largely illiterate Guitarist I am somewhat correcting that now..I feel the Condescention from Q is mostly justified ..

However there has never been a Jazz Michael Jackson , or Jimi , or Elvis , or Beatles , someone should ask Q why that is so...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-14-2018 at 09:36 PM.

never been a Jazz Michael Jackson , or Jimi , or Elvis , or Beatles

To me the answer to this question is simple; Most people don't like harmonically improvised complex music. Big Band music and the band leaders were very popular in their day and to me they come closes in terms of popularity to the names mentioned (but close isn't close to). And Big Band music is still very melodic and fairly 'basic'.

It took me years to move from guitarist centrist rock to Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow really changed my POV), to blues based jazz cats that keep it fairly 'simple' (E.g. Grant Green etc..), to bebop players and straight ahead jazz.

But while many of my friends also like Blow by Blow, instead of moving 'forward', they went back to rock and R&B. Decades later I still play music with many of these guys but the only jazz I can get them to do are songs like Sweet Georgia Brown and jazz blues. I.e songs that remained in one key. Hey, even adding the additional jazz blues changes to I\IV\V took patience.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 02-14-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Newbie!

Yes, I agree with what you said.

Remember that when Guy X - first burst on the Scene - he sounded Unique and New.
    1)You can NOT expect to have the same impact as Wes , or Joe Pass, or Hendrix, or Eric Johnson, Metheny etc etc etc did because THEY were fresh and new when they emerged.
    Now part of the Vocabulary.

2) You can NOT expect to have the same impact as Vocal Tunes with Singers- Jazz , Rock, Pop etc.whatever the field.

3) A very very small part of the entire World or USA or France or Cygnus 4 cares about how well someone can improvise .

I was thinking of Harmonically Advanced but Vocal Music ...but maybe someone who takes extended Solos too..

I think that eventually there will be a Stevie Wonder type who sings and has Tunes with advanced type harmonic structure ( like Stevie but his own thing )...

But will also take extended Solos on his Guitar or Keys etc. who may be like a Jazz Jimi or Elvis etc.

Learning Jazz and about Jazz in the past 2 years I have heard Metheny talk about going to see Van Halen many times and was even more surprised to hear in an Interview Jon Kriesberg giving EVH a lot of respect.

When he was out in the 80's I heard him on Radio but never bought a CD but ( foolishly ) used to think he was kind of overrated...
    Until I heard his Solo on Beat It - the Tune builds and builds and the Guitar Solo takes it over the top IMO.

I can see how some of you guys might not like the Tune but presumably the Solo ( with Lukather's Rhythm Guitar ) should sound pretty stellar to most of you...it's very horn like ....can you hear that ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-16-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Drunken Eddie on how he got to talk to Quincy the first time.

Some tall tale telling going on in these interviews, I'm pretty sure.

Malcolm X was in prison in 1947-52, and Quincy talked about the Hampton band scoring drugs off of him, but he didn't join the band until 1950 or 1951, and was with them until 1953.

Malcolm X became a pretty clean-living convert in prison, and I doubt he was dealing upon his release.

Hard to sort out fact from fable in these combination self-promotion, and puff-pieces.

Reminds me a little of Miles D. The man is accomplished enough musically, and adding more to the "legend" just detracts from it.

What's on Quincy's mind right now is probably Tupac's legacy. Tupac was overrated in my book. I see these pictures of him and Quincy's daughter Kadida and Tupac is always looking at the camera and not her. Play on player...

Who killed Tupac? Las Vegas.

I will have to read the interview in detail later. From what I've skimmed and read in the papers QJ is old, entitled and cranky. Guess he's earned the right to be.

I take what he says with a big grain of salt. Sounds about 70% true and 30% blowing smoke.

It's a good interview though, I'll give you that.

I love interviews with artists. I can think of basically 5 types:

1. The guy who hates interviews and does everything to %&$% up the interview, e.g., Lou Reed
    2. The guy who's a friendly chap and open as a book, warts and all, e.g., Keith Richards, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty, etc.
    3. The guy who's super earnest and just trying to get across his story and message, e.g., Bruce Springsteen, Bono
    4. The guy (or girl) who's wordy and opinionated but weird and elliptical, i.e., messing with the interviewer and the public, e.g., Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell
    5. The guy who's egotistical, accomplished and not afraid to toot his own horn, regardless of how things really went down

I would put Quincy and Miles in the last category. Also Sam Phillips. Many others will come to mind I'm sure.

The guy who's egotistical, accomplished and not afraid to toot his own horn, regardless of how things really went down

I would put Quincy and Miles in the last category. Also Sam Phillips. Many others will come to mind I'm sure.
    Les Paul, Carol Kaye

I realized I actually never really heard Quincys music. All I knew about him he produced Thriller. Is he mostly an arranger or he has some quintessential songs?

In the GQ interview we get:

89 motherfuckers
    actual shit eating
    heroin injected into testicles
    saying no to Marilyn Monroe because of her pear-shaped...you get the idea.

Guess Quincy's been holding it all in for a while.

Stay classy, Q!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmek View Post
    I think his disdain for the early beatles was probably less about their songwriting and more that they put a lot of black musicians out of work who pioneered the sounds (R&B) the Beatles ran off with. Anyway great read! Q is wild.
    His negative comments about the Beatles had to do with a recording session around 1970. Then he mentions that he met Paul in 61'....
    In a red light district in Germany? The Beatles were doing residencies there from 60-62'.
    Whatever..
    It's none of my business.
    Good call on 'f$@ing up the national anthem'. It was probably high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I realized I actually never really heard Quincys music. All I knew about him he produced Thriller. Is he mostly an arranger or he has some quintessential songs?
    Quincy Jones production discography - Wikipedia

Well, he obviously has nothing to do with rocknroll or rock. He did say it I think, he doesn't like those genres anyway. He has no business criticizing the artists in those genres either then. That's why I don't take him seriously.

Quincy doesn't like Ringo Starr... Quincy who?

This is a Quincy arrangement behind Aretha. It's one of my favorites from both of them.

I don't know how people can stand all the gossip. I can take it in small doses. Quincy is an old fart and he sounds pretty sexist at times.
    Hip Hop is going to force him to make Tupac out to be the martyr. Star-crossed love between Tupac and Quincy's daughter.
    Sure. Everyone loves a martyr.

MJ's Off the Wall was perfect for the times. Don't Stop Till You get Enough is an excellent dance tune. The Thriller album was good but Beat It sucked. Weak attempt at rock. Prince and Cameo came along and cut through a lot of BS. Cameo was hard and Prince could rock. They were regular people. Quincy worked in LA and we've all heard the stories about LA.

Look at the charts for 1983 and not just the charts. UK alt too. Prince, The Time and Cameo were steps bands. That was 84'. 83' might have been the best year ever in pop. Look at what's popular now.
    I'm just happy I'm not in my 20's now. The music is pathetic.
    QJ say's there's no more music business. He's right. it's bean counters who know you only have to fool some of the people all of the time.

Jazz and blues will always be there. I'm getting back into blues. They're both hard to do well.
    Prince was "regular people"??? lol

Oh well, his spirit lives on in the Dr. Pepper commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer View Post
    In the GQ interview we get:

89 motherfuckers
    actual shit eating
    heroin injected into testicles
    saying no to Marilyn Monroe because of her pear-shaped...you get the idea.

Guess Quincy's been holding it all in for a while.

Stay classy, Q!
    Classy is the word I was thinking of as well. His public persona just took a big 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Prince was "regular people"??? lol

Oh well, his spirit lives on in the Dr. Pepper commercials.
    Prince World was relatively boring.
    It's all about LA and Hollywood now. Social media feuds. Who stole from who and who was screwing who.

Quincy might be having a Piscean rage. He's not as crazy as my ex though. Not yet anyway. She believed in that crap too.
    Never saw those commercials before. They're pretty funny.

Tricky guitar here;

This is best discussion I've heard about these recent QJ interviews. Starts at 5:30;

Quincy has gone 'off the reservation' because it's burning down.

I heard Quincy took Oprah down to the crossroads...

According to Page Six, the Jackson family is furious with Quincy.

Michael Jackson’s family is furious with Quincy Jones | Page Six
    Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or punching a bag. It's not the thing in itself; it's preparatory to the activity. Barney Kessel

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    For real? Toots could intimidate just about anyone!
    That’s the truth!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Wonder who was waiting in the Model-T....

Kamala?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Quincy can take just about anyone down to the crossroads.

Tricky guitar here;

I was in college when that came out--played loud throughout the entire dorm night and day. If you listen that is a GREAT arrangement, and IMO probably the last time that MJ was really making a statement. (And before he went off the deep end psychologically.)

Whatever you think of the interview, you can't fault Quincy as a great producer and arranger for decades. Look at his discography. The best in the biz in his day...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I was in college when that came out--played loud throughout the entire dorm night and day. If you listen that is a GREAT arrangement, and IMO probably the last time that MJ was really making a statement. (And before he went off the deep end psychologically.)

Whatever you think of the interview, you can't fault Quincy as a great producer and arranger for decades. Look at his discography. The best in the biz in his day...
    I'm just a club musician.
    We all live in a bubble of some kind.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed