The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I just spent the last hour or so listening to various Louis Stewart recordings. Man, I've got a lot of catching up to do! Am I the only one who overlooked this great player?

Albert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He has been one of my favourites since I saw him at a jazz festival in Yorkshire in 1980.

I was sitting right in front of the stage and in the interval Louis put his guitar on my table and said ‘Would you mind keeping an eye on this while I find the bar?’

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    He has been one of my favourites since I saw him at a jazz festival in Yorkshire in 1980.

I was sitting right in front of the stage and in the interval Louis put his guitar on my table and said ‘Would you mind keeping an eye on this while I find the bar?’
    Can you remember which instrument? He seems to have played several different models (L7, 175 w/ CC, Epi, etc.)

User Info Menu

louis S is legend..rip...but i bet he was firing on all cylinders playing with mundell lowe!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    louis S is legend..rip...but i bet he was firing on all cylinders playing with mundell lowe!!!

cheers
    I'm amazed Louis escaped my radar. Luckily I caught Mundell at a restaurant in Berkeley years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Can you remember which instrument? He seems to have played several different models (L7, 175 w/ CC, Epi, etc.)
    Sorry, in those days I didn’t know one jazz guitar from another, I was still at uni and I had only just got interested in jazz. I knew all the ‘rock’ guitars, that was all.

User Info Menu

On video Mundell Lowe is playing Fender D'Aquisto model I think.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

On His Own - great album (my copy is now lost and gone).

User Info Menu

He was highly rated by some top players. He played in Tubby Hayes' quartet in the late 1960s and I've been looking for years for a copy of Serious Gold, a highly regarded 1977 LP with Ronnie Scott.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    He was highly rated by some top players. He played in Tubby Hayes' quartet in the late 1960s and I've been looking for years for a copy of Serious Gold, a highly regarded 1977 LP with Ronnie Scott.
    I might be able to help you with that - send me a PM!

User Info Menu

Actually I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 175 - I did know about those (thanks to Steve Howe!)

I think it was dark/sunburst, venetian cutaway (i.e. not pointy like a 175), probably a Gibson.

User Info Menu

One of Louis' greatest recordings was 'I Thought About You', with John Taylor (piano), Sam Jones (bass), Billy Higgins (drums).

Unfortunately it was on the now-defunct Livia label from Ireland. Somehow I found a copy in a record shop up north somewhere shortly after seeing that gig with Louis, to this day I've no idea how or why the shop had it in stock.

User Info Menu

Hadn’t heard this before, excellent playing.

User Info Menu

I met Louis a few times at his friend Cedric West's House ( my Tutor )
    a laid back ,but great player , he would occasionally dep for Cedric
    if he was unwell. My good fortune in being a student of Cedric enabled
    me to meet and hear first hand, Louis, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel , and
    meet Dave Cliff, Martin Taylor. and Ernie Cranenbourg, all fabulous players.
    in the early 80's
    If I had known him 19 years sooner ,I'd have met
    Wes also who stayed at Cedric's house during his 1965 visit to the UK.
    ( If my memory serves me correctly, Louis often used a Super 400 ? )

User Info Menu

just posted about this vid on what you listening to now thread..but worthy of re-post, for those that dont follow that thread (shame!) hah

louis stewart with great george shearing and nhop...great trio

doin' chick coreas 500 miles high

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-05-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Throughout my various memberships at Ronnie's I never got to see Louis.

User Info Menu

I met Louis a couple of times and also recorded some LPs and CDs with him when I was a contractor for the German label Jardis (now defunct).

As far as I remember he mostly brought a Guild guitar but I couldn't say today if this was always the case.

Regarding his old recordings, some of them, at least his solo LP "On His Own" and "Acoustic Duets" (With Martin Taylor) where reissued by the aforementioned label Jardis on CD. I did the digital remastering of some of these - don't remember exactly which.

The label is now defunct but you can try and contact the former owner Mr. Heiner Franz under Jardis Records, maybe there are some leftover stocks of these CDs (Though I believe to remember he sold all his leftovers in bulk to some other company, specializing in out listed media)

Louis and the label got in some kind of disagreement later (don't know details, I had left too), so in his last years they did not work together any more.

Apart from being the great player that he was, I also remember him as a very funny and witty person, always great fun to meet and work with him.

User Info Menu

I was lucky to see Louis several times, at a jazz festival , at Ronnies, and at the Bass Clef in Hoxton.

Always played superbly, I think he was one of those players who is consistently excellent.

Apparently he loved reading James Joyce's 'Dubliners' and had a great sense of humour. I read somewhere that when he was in his final illness a relative asked him if he would like to be buried or cremated, and Louis said 'Surprise me!'

User Info Menu

I got to meet and have a drink recently with drummer Stephen Keogh, who worked a lot with Louis over the years. He tipped me off that a 1997 bootleg of Louis at Pizza Express has recently been cleaned up and given an official release: Live in London - Jazzmessengers

Louis Stewart - One of the Greats!-live-london-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I got to meet and have a drink recently with drummer Stephen Keogh, who worked a lot with Louis over the years. He tipped me off that a 1997 bootleg of Louis at Pizza Express has recently been cleaned up and given an official release: Live in London - Jazzmessengers
    Yes I spotted that recently - in fact I've already got it because I taped it off the radio (BBC I think) when it was broadcast back in 1997! I've transferred it to CD and the sound is pretty good. Excellent playing by the whole band and Louis does a couple of Wes tunes which are great.

User Info Menu

Benny Goodman, Pat Martino, Chick Corea, and everybody in between ! Take a look....