Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

New julian Lage Album

just saw this tune from his upcoming album. love the vibe and direction he's been heading in.

Sounds great and can't wait to hear the album, but I had hoped he would do something entirely new. So far his discography has been amazingly varied. However Arclight, the live Arclight, and now this seem to make 3 albums in the same vein in a row

Great, but that melody definitely reminds me of something else, and I spent too much time watching that video and trying to recall the tune I had in mind.

New julian Lage Album

He just started his trio tour. Scroll down for the schedule. I’ve seem him perform three times in widely varying styles. The future of guitar is in good hands.
    Home — JULIAN LAGE

Does sound very familiar - damn we are a harsh crowd)))

Will

Yes it does sound like his Arclight stuff. Good thing that was so good!...

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    just saw this tune from his upcoming album. love the vibe and direction he's been heading in.
    That direction being......................Telecaster!

i actually remember reading something about him having issues with his hands, can't remember what it was, but it was hinting that the switch to the tele was a comfort thing. not sure if that's true, I'm just glad to see that he got himself a real 54 tele. it's better in the hands of an incredible player as opposed to some glass case

I am perfectly happy if Julian spends the rest of his career playing Tele in a trio.

Mind you I'd be perfectly happy if he spent the rest of his career playing an acoustic L5 with a string band.

Nice! Makes me think of George Harrison around the time of The White Album (Helter Skelter).

Yeah, that's a great direction! I think I'm gonna buy this album. Reminds me of Bill Frisell, but with a better technique. I hope he sticks to this style, he's the only one so far who's doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    That direction being......................Telecaster!

Julian has been playing a Tele for a few years now.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Julian has been playing a Tele for a few years now.
    All smart folks eventually do.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    i actually remember reading something about him having issues with his hands, can't remember what it was, but it was hinting that the switch to the tele was a comfort thing. not sure if that's true, I'm just glad to see that he got himself a real 54 tele. it's better in the hands of an incredible player as opposed to some glass case
    At a clinic I attended he mentioned he was trying to recover from hand issues probably caused by years of intense playing starting at such an early age. That may have something to do with the timing of his transition to Telecaster on the bandstand, but it’s not a fallback for him. He’s following the muse.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    At a clinic I attended he mentioned he was trying to recover from hand issues probably caused by years of intense playing starting at such an early age. That may have something to do with the timing of his transition to Telecaster on the bandstand, but it’s not a fallback for him. He’s following the muse.
    There is a great interview with Terry Gross where he talks about the issue in a lot of detail:
    Jazz Guitarist Julian Lage On 'Arclight' And Shifting Musical Genres : NPR

if memory serves, it was more than just a hand issue, it had to do with repetitive something or another and what that does to the brain. It sounded like he needed to re-tool his technique a bit, which Marcus Roberts said we should all do every 10-15 years anyways.

anyways I'm in the same camp as christian, I'd happily listen to julian play whatever guitar he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Reminds me of Bill Frisell, but with a better technique

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed