The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

two players that worked with getz early on..& had similar or at least crossed roots/stylings

johnny smith...and jimmy raney...two maestros always worthy of investigation

cheers

User Info Menu

The lyrical line, the soft tone and melodic phrase, the logical development and absolutely natural flow of ideas. You've got to check out Ed Bikert.

David

User Info Menu

In a weird way, Abercrombie. As lyrical as any guitarist ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    When he wanted, Abercrombie had that same lovely floating time feel...

User Info Menu

yes thought of abercrombie as well..both very lyrical players

cheers

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Ed Bickert clip.

Love his touch, tone and above all his musicality.

Sadly I feel that it is an approach that would have difficulty finding an audience in the noise of 2017.
    ....by noise I mean both literally and figuratively....

I have loved Ed's music since hearing him for the first time on an obscure late night jazz radio show in
    New Zealand C 1980.
    The other significant player that I came across around the same time on that show was Pat Martino....from the We'll Be Together Again album..... Those two guys are like the yin and yang of jazz guitar for me.

Incidentally, I met the elderly gentleman who ran that show and thanked him for introducing me to these and many other wonderful
    musicians. He was quite touched by the gesture and responded in the same quiet approach consistent with his online persona.

A bit off topic ....but game-changing stuff for me ......sorry about that chief....

User Info Menu

Wonder why nobody has mentioned Charlie Byrd so far - too obvious? He played on all the classic Getz records.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This is interesting, b/c to me since Charlie Christian jazz guitarists have tried for a horn-like sound and phrasing by simulating an air column----by left hand slurs, 'long tones', etc.

When you hear Christian with Pres they sound like one mind. Maybe Charlie was a little 'hotter'.

I don't know if there's a guitarist that plays like Getz. He's too unique. Saxophonists hardly have copied him---they know better. So guitar...

He and Raney were a great team, though...

User Info Menu

That Ed clip above was great. I would put in a vote for Jim Hall as well.

Modern day player--maybe Bill Frisell?

What Getz had was a feel for the sound that was like a singer's. (There's a reason he was called the voice.) His timing and use of air was legendary. He also was a lyrical player--never sacrificed the melodic flow just for the sake of chops.

And very importantly though he had skills out the wazoo he made it sound "easy," or at least relaxed and unforced. That reminds me of Bickert and Hall also.

User Info Menu

He had AMAZING chops---just used them in the service of music. Pres called him 'my singer'.

Weird that Art Pepper, in Straight Life, (stupidly) said 'Stan Getz is a technician, but I hear him as he is and he plays cold. He's rarely moved me'.

WTF?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    There's a reason why Lee Konitz and John got along so well. Lee, another lyrical player (and let's put Paul Desmond in there too) formed an exclusive club of lyrical players for whom the beauty of the line was always pure and had a singing quality to it. Yeah John Abercrombie was one of those players. Pat Metheny too, but he's always on the top of everyone's list so we needn't mention him.

David

User Info Menu

yeah..agree on the desmond/ konitz ...desmond was getz on alto.ie. .beautiful...konitz and warne marsh..remember getz came from four brothers

a key guy there is the master jimmy giuffre!!!!!which leads us to jim hall!!...

cheers

User Info Menu

All of these horn players trace their conception back to Pres. Lester Young and Charlie Christian are the source of so much lyrical melodic goodness!

User Info Menu

yeah..prez!!

hipster saint!

other killer...way less known

the great lucky thompson

played with bird early on..had troubles..but killer player..was one of the first to go soprano too...ala trane..same time

and luckys intonation was worthy of bechet

cheers

ps-

Last edited by neatomic; 09-24-2017 at 09:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Lucky Strikes is pure joy! Along with Steve Lacey he is the origin point of modern soprano. He hits that sweet spot between swing and bop so well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah..prez!!

hipster saint!

other killer...way less known

the great lucky thompson
    Let's go WAY back, Prez owed his lineage to the often overlooked Frankie Trumbauer. The great granddaddy of the school of soft, and he could swing!
    David

User Info Menu

Why have I never heard of Frankie Trumbauer? That's some great stuff!

It reminds us that no artist just materialized out of the ether--they all had predecessors and influences.

User Info Menu

Trumbauer almost stopped playing in 1940, or thereabouts. A skilled airplane pilot, he trained flight crews during WW II, and then held a high-level position with the Civilian Aeronautics Association. He did some studio work in 1945 or so, but basically made his living in his aeronautics job.

Lester Young said he "wore out" his recording of Trumbauer playing "Singing the Blues". He also played a C melody sax. Benny Carter also spoke highly of his playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    There's a reason why Lee Konitz and John got along so well. Lee, another lyrical player (and let's put Paul Desmond in there too) formed an exclusive club of lyrical players for whom the beauty of the line was always pure and had a singing quality to it. Yeah John Abercrombie was one of those players. Pat Metheny too, but he's always on the top of everyone's list so we needn't mention him.

David
    Sorry, but he's not at the top of my list. I appreciate Pat and enjoy him---when he's not overplaying. I like him best when it's just him, an acoustic and a good song. That can be beautiful. He DOES get a singing sound and is lyrical, just to me not in the category as an improviser of the guys you mentioned---not even close...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah..agree on the desmond/ konitz ...desmond was getz on alto.ie. .beautiful...konitz and warne marsh..remember getz came from four brothers

a key guy there is the master jimmy giuffre!!!!!which leads us to jim hall!!...

cheers
    I think Warne stands apart from those guys. He was very original and in some ways took Pres even farther than Getz. I don't mean to say he was greater than Getz, but he (Konitz, too) really took the improvised line to a very evolved place. He was a master, and different than those other great players...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Sorry, but he's not at the top of my list. I appreciate Pat and enjoy him---when he's not overplaying. I like him best when it's just him, an acoustic and a good song. That can be beautiful. He DOES get a singing sound and is lyrical, just to me not in the category as an improviser of the guys you mentioned---not even close...
    Well, that might find some disagreement!

I don't think that his credentials as an improviser can be questioned and he is, I think, the peer of any jazz musician you'd care to name. Whether his playing is to your taste is a different question. I haven't cared for the PMG stuff for a very long time, but love the first 2-3 PMG records. And I like his trios which tend to have more swing feel. But I often find his playing claustrophobic and over-dense for probably the past 20 years, and have come to really dislike that delay-y sound. It's like you can't hear where the note actually is.

Stylistically he is far from Getz, to get back to the original question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack

Take this solo, imagine it on a tenor horn.
    And Mick's solo, I didn't even mention Mick on this thread because so much of the great music I know him to have played just isn't recorded.

Take it or leave it. I don't listen to a lot of Pat these days, but I will never deny him a place in my mind that he's one of the great lyric players. He has that gift when he chooses to use it.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, that might find some disagreement!

I don't think that his credentials as an improviser can be questioned and he is, I think, the peer of any jazz musician you'd care to name. Whether his playing is to your taste is a different question. I haven't cared for the PMG stuff for a very long time, but love the first 2-3 PMG records. And I like his trios which tend to have more swing feel. But I often find his playing claustrophobic and over-dense for probably the past 20 years, and have come to really dislike that delay-y sound. It's like you can't hear where the note actually is.

Stylistically he is far from Getz, to get back to the original question.
    OK. Cool. I never said he wasn't a great guitarist or musician---just don't think he's on a level as improviser to be named with the people he was being named with on this thread. Especially since the OP was about guitarists that compare to Stan Getz, and to me Pat brought it back to more of a guitar sound and concept. To me he doesn't do an 'air column' like all the jazz guitar (soloists) players since Christian (that I like, anyway)---and I sort of don't hear that. It's a personal thing.

I DO respect him a lot for being original in sound and concept and love hearing him play a song like Cherish on an acoustic. He's pretty unmatched at that, and it can be sublime to hear. I'll leave it like that, on the positive tip...