The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 91 of 91
    These days people do trap and EDM beats because they're easy to produce. EDM has the predictable 4 to floor kick and trap has the predictable hi-hat rolls.
    It's a big bore. People just bob up and down.

This is all written with a mouse. He's not just pretending to manipulate sounds live. This gets interesting from about 10-25 minutes;

BLACK COFFEE spiritual DJ set @ Mixmag Live, London - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Skinhead:
    Actually this kind of dancing i dont mind. Doc Martens and Ben Shermans never went out of style, but i love my hair, it stays!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Well...first of all ..let's not underestimate Jazz Musicians and assume they are all just dying to have their Music become Popular etc.Many are just on a Quest..

So a better question might be ...

" When and how and why did Jazz diverge or separate from mainstream Pop and Dance Music ?"

'When did most Jazz lose the Vocals?' is another sub question..most Music which is ' competing ' for attention, dollars, airplay etc. has Vocals.
    Although there was Instrumental Jazz that was Popular.. people were dancing to it...

Instrumental Music of all types is not very Popular.

It's not like huge sales are being racked up by Virtuoso Accordion Players - ' Polka Steps'...

However- another question could be...

'When did the Harmonic Rhythms and general ' Grooves' of most Jazz become weaker to Dancers Pro and Amateurs than most Pop ?

I left it to the Dancers so we can't argue about what is a stronger groove ...haha.

So ..no big Mystery..right ?

Another thing...when you walk into an Ad Agency ( no unsolicited Material..by appointment) .with a demo reel .
    You don't debate or justify..or make excuses..if it's something you did for them on Spec or with a Deposit..1)they like it....2)they like it but want variations..
    or3) they don't like it..try again.

You can't talk someone into liking a piece of Music .

Pat Metheny made some Jazz Popular..
    And Eric Johnson did it on Guitar ( Rock, if course ) mostly without needing Vocals..

I'm not going to spell it out any more than this for now.
    You misspelled Joe Satriani.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    What's with all this dancing this, dancing that? Not everyone likes to dance, and not everything has to be danceable to be popular. I hate dancing, i love headbangin, so gimme headbanging jazz, and ill be happy!
    Classical Music was the Dance Music of it's day much of the time ...

IF you want Jazz to be more POPular - you need strong Hooks or Stronger Grooves. Or both.
    Can be Jazz but has to be strong.

I had an young R&B Artist in the Big Clubs South Florida right after live Broadcasts on Power 96 and Y 100 in 1999 2000 with Music I did for her not 1989 ...

You can't analytical your way out of it ...

There is nothing wrong with playing old songs from 59 years ago.or BeBop for the Musician's Club ..but don't wonder why you're not the Beatles or even Beyonce or Bruno Mars.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-12-2018 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    What's with all this dancing this, dancing that? Not everyone likes to dance, and not everything has to be danceable to be popular. I hate dancing, i love headbangin, so gimme headbanging jazz, and ill be happy!

Don't shortchange head banging baby! Head banging IS dancing.

Dance:
    Meaning (2) (of a person) move in a quick and lively way.

User Info Menu

The Thread is about the
    'Why People hate Jazz'.

IF you play because you love it and don't give an Ef
    if it's popular or not - great.

IF you are one of those Guys who thinks it SHOULD or COULD be more popular or can't get why it is NOT - I am giving you some Answers .

Now HERE is what Wicki says about BeBop - pretty much what thought..esoteric after hours stuff played by Great Musicians trying to outhip each other and also create something new.

"Bebop developed as the younger generation of jazz musicians expanded the creative possibilities of jazz beyond the popular, dance-oriented swing style with a new "musician's music" that was not as danceable and demanded close listening.[1] As bebop was not intended for dancing, it enabled the musicians to play at faster tempos. "

Etc etc etc.

So if you Play an esoteric Music don' t expect to have it be Popular unless it sounds ' new ' and has some of the common denominators of Pop of the last 70 years.

When I speak of R&B I mean from 1960's to last Tuesday....

I always thought of BeBop as esoteric chops intensive ( I like chops worked hard to get them ) hippest of the hip type Music.. mostly for other Musicians...

Just like WIKI says.
    LESS Danceable ,.no vocals, or rare vocals..

People don't hate Jazz...a lot of it is self indulgent..
    I play self indulgent stuff...BUT I don't have unrealistic expectations for that.
    Guitarists will want to know how I am doing some things I think....but a niche market. I am not a big effing deal even I have some chops ...

IF I write something for Clubs..R&B etc. I expect that to work there...it did.

Do what you do..know your Market ..do your best...see what happens...simple.

OR be an Artist pure and simple and don't try to be popular in Music.

User Info Menu

My experience has been that lots of people like jazz when it isn’t boring, with a flat energy and musicians with their noses in charts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    My experience has been that lots of people like jazz when it isn’t boring, with a flat energy and musicians with their noses in charts.
    This of course requires people to get off their lazy asses and go see live music.

Which of course, is another reason why jazz is so maligned...it's a live music, and people just don't go see live music very much.

User Info Menu

Seattle turns out for live music. Why wouldn't Chicago?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Seattle turns out for live music. Why wouldn't Chicago?
    When you say Seattle turns out, you mean for jazz?

There ain't even that many places to see live jazz in Chicago.

User Info Menu

Have you checked Studio5? The Whiskey Lounge folded up, but Steve Rashid is keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    The Thread is about the
    'Why People hate Jazz'.

IF you play because you love it and don't give an Ef
    if it's popular or not - great.

IF you are one of those Guys who thinks it SHOULD or COULD be more popular or can't get why it is NOT - I am giving you some Answers .

Now HERE is what Wicki says about BeBop - pretty much what thought..esoteric after hours stuff played by Great Musicians trying to outhip each other and also create something new.

"Bebop developed as the younger generation of jazz musicians expanded the creative possibilities of jazz beyond the popular, dance-oriented swing style with a new "musician's music" that was not as danceable and demanded close listening.[1] As bebop was not intended for dancing, it enabled the musicians to play at faster tempos. "

Etc etc etc.

So if you Play an esoteric Music don' t expect to have it be Popular unless it sounds ' new ' and has some of the common denominators of Pop of the last 70 years.

When I speak of R&B I mean from 1960's to last Tuesday....

I always thought of BeBop as esoteric chops intensive ( I like chops worked hard to get them ) hippest of the hip type Music.. mostly for other Musicians...

Just like WIKI says.
    LESS Danceable ,.no vocals, or rare vocals..

People don't hate Jazz...a lot of it is self indulgent..
    I play self indulgent stuff...BUT I don't have unrealistic expectations for that.
    Guitarists will want to know how I am doing some things I think....but a niche market. I am not a big effing deal even I have some chops ...

IF I write something for Clubs..R&B etc. I expect that to work there...it did.

Do what you do..know your Market ..do your best...see what happens...simple.

OR be an Artist pure and simple and don't try to be popular in Music.
    It was in fact a Tuesday. January 28th 1986 was a Tuesday;

I was watching this on the street in downtown Osaka with a bandmate and our gf's. I said, what happened? My gf's friend said.... BANG!! She didn't speak much English.
    We wanted to be on that space ship together. My gf and my bandmate were totally clueless.

Nothing lasts forever. R&B went BANG on January 28th, 1986. It's all corporate BS now.
    BANG was the hostess with the mostest. I was dazzled by her professionalism!

BANG decided no more R&B in the far east and that was that. That's my girl.
    The whole thing gives me the blues so that's what I'm into now. Blues is so hard to do! R&B is more a matter of organization and doing your job.
    Blues is way tougher to do than R&B.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=John A.;809714]
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    These laws mainly date back to Prohibition, not the 40s. In NYC, under a law that is still on the books, Clubs that allow dancing have different (and more expensive) permits that are harder to get than clubs or restaurants that have non-dance live performance. [This is mostly no longer enforced; zoning, and liquor license, and code enforcement are the main enforcement avenues these days, at least in theory targeted more toward clubs that are nuisances.]
    The demise of swing (in favor of bebop) was in part driven by a federal cabaret tax.
    How Taxes And Moving Changed The Sound Of Jazz : A Blog Supreme : NPR

User Info Menu

I finally gave this fellow, Rick Beato, a look. I am thoroughly enjoying his videos and his commentary.

Youtube Gold!

User Info Menu

There were some doubts expressed as to whether Rick can play jazz changes....

Voila:

User Info Menu

I used to watch his channel all the time when he would upload a video every day which was mainly classical stuff, but now he's targeting on those rock players who wants to have some jazzy lines in their playing. I rarely open his new video in my feed anymore.