• GRANT GREEN

10 22.22%
  • WES MONTGOMERY

35 77.78%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 132

User Info Menu

Grant Green Blue Note years or Wes Montgomery Riverside years.

My vote goes to Grant. He did every great standard known to man and his Blue Note tone...well the best IMO.

I am a huge Wes fan too but no one was a better pocket player than Grant....IMO.

After 1966.....well nothing great after that IMO. Both icons when they where under the right record contract but that was over then. Wes dead in 68 and nothing Grant did in the 70's floated my boat.

What say you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My vote is for Wes (No surprise there as Wes is my all time favorite guitarist and the reason I play jazz guitar.)

IMO, Wes was the better player. Wes told a thematic story with each solo, even in his Verve/A&M years. Grant was great to be sure, but he was a blues oriented lick player. Grant will always be a second tier player in the history of jazz guitar, Wes will always be one of it's giants.

User Info Menu

Music isn't a competition so no vote from me I like them both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Took the word out of my mouth - apples and oranges IMO.

Which one do you like better: Albert, B.B. or Freddy?

Both guitarists were iconic players. Please folks no insults just a simple vote. Respect should always be given to the lives that have passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I have every recording from both guitarists.

User Info Menu

The more I listen to Grant Green's tone, the more I like it. Absence of chordal playing in trio is bold. Great lines, too. I was going to write that, unlike Wes (whom I've heard), I can't imagine Grant Green with strings - but I can. So I'll vote for both, please.

User Info Menu

Knob Creek vs Woodford Reserve?

User Info Menu

Wes is obviously more pivotal and influential, at least on the surface. He was MUCH more popular as well.

That said, I think Grant influenced a lot of people. I think he influenced Benson almost as much as Wes.

I listen to more Grant these days, mainly because I just like listening to his style, with its in the pocket groove and funky flavor.

While I like both these guys, truth be told, Kenny Burrell is my main man, with his perfect phrasing and tone. Not a note out of place.

But I agree. It's like Betty vs Veronica, or Ginger vs MaryAnn--why have to choose? Why not BOTH?

User Info Menu

If both of these guys were in concert on the same night, I would have to go with Wes.

Stylistically, sometimes I tire of Grant's stacato and also of Wes' octaves, but they are both such great story tellers.

Grant's playing on standards is some of the best in my opinion. I sometimes get a little bored with some of his many Blues songs.

While with Wes, some of his later more commercial recordings often turn me off.

So since you are asking which one I like better, most times it will be Wes - but it depends on my mood and needs at that moment.

And I do agree with all of you that no one can truly say who is best, but we can give our opinion if asked, and without trying to be super-negative about it.

User Info Menu

My vote would go to Wes. However I think a more interesting poll would be Wes vs Django.. that one I cannot choose in terms of 'better' jazz guitarist, very hard for me to say.

User Info Menu

I'm 100% w/Stringswinger's assesment, it's almost like I could have written it....

like SS posted, Wes had a way of building a solo, Grant not so much.
    Wes always seemd to play something spectacular/thrilling that catches your ear, Grant not so much.
    Wes just seemd to be a natural musician, it's almost as if he could have been a giant on any instrument he chose.

If I couldn't listen to Wes again I'd be bummed, but Grant I could live w/out [though I do like a lot of his recordings and he was very soulful]

User Info Menu

I love this game of Jazz as a points game, musicians as olympic stars. Bring on the endorsements.
    Coke or Pepsi? C'mon guys. Which of these two is REALLY the best? I like Coke because they make Sprite and they've had some pretty good commercials for that soft drink. Pepsi makes Sierra Mist, which quenches my thirst just fine but isn't quite as sweet to my taste.

Wes and Grant Green? So different once I really began to listen carefully. Both naturals with their own approach to the instrument. The more I listen, the more superficial their similar comparison becomes.

Wes has a drama to his solos that is wonderfully compositional, and I've gotten a lot from his sense of construction. That's so much of him and he owned the music.
    Grant had such a hard groove in the WAY he played everything. I learn a lot from him each time I hear something he plays, about feeling, about drive and about how to make one note swing harder than other people's entire solos. His gravity on the beat is strong and deep. That's so much of him and he owned the music.

J.S. Bach or S.L.Weiss?
    Kate or Mary Olson?
    Ted Kazynsky or Jeffry Dahmer?
    Your mother or your father?
    Your Daughter or your Sister?
    Something to like in all of them.
    David

Last edited by TH; 08-24-2017 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

p.s. the poll doesn't really need to be a 'competition', just a preference w/an explanation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    nothing Grant did in the 70's floated my boat.

What say you.
    I can understand that view, but I'd like to say why that era of his playing inspires me most.

That the '70s Green seems to have spoken to O'Donel Levy, Jimmy Ponder, Wilbert Longmire is probably neither here nor there - except that they were able to draw from Green to spread a joyful groove (one that united across all kinds of borders).

It may not have been high Art - but I think that's a Good Thing, because getting precious only alienates.

Moreover, they could understandably have turned bitter (I'm not suggesting that would be OK), but they didn't. I believe that (owning and) overcoming bitterness and resentment is the most important musical work - beauty wrought from pain.

My closest friend knew this. He passed away nearly seven years ago, and he had become good friends with Reuben Wilson. My friend sent me wonderful letters and photos from when he went on tour with the Godfathers of Groove - Reuben, Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie, and Grant Green Jr. (I still have them, and I may post some photos.)

Idiot that I am, I didn't value their music for what it was/is. I feel differently now - and given half a chance, I'd groove like O'Donel Levy et al, who first heard it here:
    Last edited by destinytot; 08-24-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

I've never gotten bored listening to either. When I've heard a tune enough that I can actually follow the complex melody and harmony, I then notice the brilliant technical skill in their performance.

If I had to choose only one, it would be Wes. I can only defend that decision by saying that he was the one who opened the world of jazz for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Knob Creek vs Woodford Reserve?
    I'll take KC to listen to both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I love both players. Both have an instantly recognizable tone that, just a few notes in you know it has to be them. Both also have aspects that I find myself unwilling to try to emulate. Wes' thumb thing I've never been tempted by. Grant Green special tone, though I love it, I've never hankered to sound like that.

So for me it isn't about who I think is better, just simply who speaks more deeply to my insides. That has to be Wes Montgomery. Something inside of me needs to hear Wes play. I love Grant Green, too, not taking anything away, but I don't "miss" hearing him when I go a while without listening to him. It's something inside of me, not something related to the value of either player.

User Info Menu

Grant was superb, but Wes is God!

George Benson opened the jazz door for me. When George was asked who his biggest influences were he said Grant 1st and then Wes. Naturally then I had to open those additional doors too.

Pat Martino spoke of a night when he was young hanging out with GB, GG, WM, KB, all together talking guitar all night long. What a night that must of been. Complete guitar royalty.

User Info Menu

I actually listen to Wes, but not so much to Grant Green - though I believe the Joy of Jejune needs to be wrestled back from Benson. EDIT not a revival - but a renewal (of what Miles called 'social music').

How about this hidden gem from Wes? Rare live recording (by Jimmy Cobb) of Wes with Wynton: Cherokee
    Last edited by destinytot; 08-24-2017 at 03:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Wes, naturally. Grant Green is ok, a bit monotonous, but nice tone. Never played chords, whats up with that- big minus in my book!

I have to say I'm more fan of Wes's Verve recordings than Riverside though . Better production and to the point arrangements.

Actually Grant's chordal work was quite good. Listen to his sideman work. As a leader he didn't play much rythym.
    I actually like Grant's version of Little Girl Blue more than Tal Farlow's and that is saying a lot or at least for me being the huge TF fan that I am.
    Some of Grant's best work was as a sideman not as a leader.

User Info Menu

More rare live Wes - Autumn Leaves:

User Info Menu

Live 'jazz' rules...Listen to Grant Green's language in this rare recording - Oleo:
    <em>