The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

old video, but first time I heard this. She sounds like billie holiday to me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    old video, but first time I heard this. She sounds like billie holiday to me

Honestly I have always felt she was overrated. I know everyone went on about her, but I just never got it.

User Info Menu

I got it ok !
    I loved her .... rip Amy

Tony reckoned she was one of the great
    singers too ....

its cool . different strokes for different
    folks ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    Honestly I have always felt she was overrated. I know everyone went on about her, but I just never got it.
    Actually she was underrated b/c she couldn't stop getting loaded. She had a beautiful voice and plenty of beautiful lyrics, check out her songs if you haven't before. Some people didn't like her but usually it wasn't b/c of her talent. Some people didn't like the Rehab song, but the girl was definitely singing from her heart. You don't get to sing with Tony Bennett unless you got talent. RIP Amy!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Actually she was underrated b/c she couldn't stop getting loaded. She had a beautiful voice and plenty of beautiful lyrics, check out her songs if you haven't before. Some people didn't like her but usually it wasn't b/c of her talent. Some people didn't like the Rehab song, but the girl was definitely singing from her heart. You don't get to sing with Tony Bennett unless you got talent. RIP Amy!!
    I've heard her entire catalog. I'm not saying she was talented, and I do not hate her music. I can jam on a few of her tunes. I just always hear the comparison statements between her and Billy Holiday. I do not feel she brings anything to the table to gain a comparison like that. I do agree though, different strokes for different folks. I mean her no disrespect, I just never got the hype that surrounded her.
    I also respect Tony, but his opinion doesn't mean a whole lot to me. He is like the Santana of Jazz vocalists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    ... I also respect Tony, but his opinion doesn't mean a whole lot to me. He is like the Santana of Jazz vocalists.
    A lot of what you say makes sense to me, but I am mystified by the comment that Tony Bennett is like "the Santana of jazz vocalists". Could you explain what you mean by that? -- Thx.

BTW, I remember that when she died, and the coroner ruled "death by misadventure", Tony spoke up for her and was very supportive of the family and friends. I figured that when you get to be as old as he is, you hopefully learn not to let judgements get too much in the way of compassion, especially after a career in show business - having no doubt seen other colleagues die by "misadventure". ... And especially when people lose a 27 year old child!

User Info Menu

I suppose it means he's keeping himself viable by performing with younger, less talented musicians. It's a cheap shot.

User Info Menu

There are literally hundreds of artists deserving of wider exposure and recognition that TB could have collaborated with, other than making novelty duets with Winehouse and Lady Gaga.

User Info Menu

This very record was good to me...

User Info Menu

I suppose it means he's keeping himself viable by performing with younger, less talented musicians. It's a cheap shot.
    if it keeps you viable at 90... why not?

besides he himself mostly still sounds really good...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    You don't get to sing with Tony Bennett unless you got talent.
    I take it that means you haven't actually heard the Bennett duet disc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    if it keeps you viable at 90... why not?

besides he himself mostly still sounds really good...
    Well, that's what I'm saying. It's NOT Santana's "Supernatural," in which he basically recruited some young, popular musicians, let them record a song, and then wanked a dorian mode solo over it. I got the feeling on some of those tracks, Santana might not have even been in the studio the day the pop artist did their bit.

Sure, Bennett's looking to broaden his appeal, but at 90, he hardly needs to...he's doing what he wants to. I think he genuinely gets a charge out of singing with these young talents, and he still sounds GREAT.

User Info Menu

Re' Santana I agree about Supernatural. I also didn't like his recent "guitar hero" album. Worst version of Riders on the Storm ever.

On the other hand his recent Latin records are very good, IMO, and I think he does more than phone it in. He is still great live. And he has a new recording coming out with Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, etc. Looking forward to seeing if it compares at all to the classic lineup from the 60's/70's.

Re' Tony I agree with Jeff M. Guy's earned the right to do what he wants. He sings with A LOT of other folks, all more or less real pros. I think he only did one song with Amy Winehouse, though he did a whole album with Lady Gaga, who I think is a gem of a singer, despite her unusual style choices.

The Bennett/KD Lang album is an even more enjoyable pairing.

User Info Menu

I liked 'The Game of Love'. It's just pop. Decent pop too. The guitar dances all around the vocals and it works.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 02-09-2016 at 12:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Sure, Bennett's looking to broaden his appeal, but at 90, he hardly needs to...he's doing what he wants to.
    I agree...

but I think it's the system too... Tony has never been an'independent' jazz artist or something... he was in commercial music.. he had to follow the trend

And I think it's the system that partly becomes a nature... like in Hollywood... Eastwood or Spielberg they can afford to do whatever they want... ( and it seems sometimes they think they do... but serious face does not make a serious movie) but anyway even the artistic moves and solutions in their films are obviously built on the principles of commercial cinematography... I think they just do not notice it... it's so much in their nature already... they do not how it is to work like Bunuel or Bergman did...

With Tony it's simpler because he still stays very natural in any circumstances... to me it looks like he just takes some power and energy from singing...

so most probably these duets were producer' move to expand the audience - and then these Spanish duets to expand it even more ... and Tony just took a chance to sing it again... and to be around with youths also can be inspiring

User Info Menu

A horrible thought just crossed my head--who will Springsteen be dueting with at 90? Will Jagger still be doing his chicken walk, backed by Keef on guitar, of course... Will Paul McCartney still be singing When I'm 64 when he's 94?

Aackkkk!!!

User Info Menu

Will Paul McCartney still be singing When I'm 64 when he's 94?

But to be fair... Springsteen, Jagger, even McCartney to some extent... they belong more to rock music... and rock is much more conneted with social issues... style of life, public appearances, opinions... even if they are not indenpendent of the market demands they should behave as if they are... because it is rock... it is from 60s...

And jazz crooners were just professional singres... sometimes great... but they did just singing mostly and some goodlooks... no revolutions no rebels...

so for them it's much simpler... they just keep singing at 90 if they want... because it is what they did at 25 too...

User Info Menu

I just hope Springsteen doesn't break a hip jumping down from the speaker like he used to do in the 80's...