The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Anthony Wilson is a great player who doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. I believe he is the son of Gerald Wilson the arranger. Here's some nice footage of him playing with Diana Krall (I was watching this DVD last night). He plays a nice solo at 2 mins 15 secs. The tune is East of the Sun.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen Wilson here in L.A. and he is indeed a great player. I've posted these before but they are worth a re-post:

User Info Menu

His album "Campo Belo" was recoded a couple of blocks from my home, here in Sao Paulo, Brazil!

User Info Menu

I've just pulled the trigger on the CD/DVD of his 'Seasons' quartet. It's the concert with him, Julian Lage, Steve Cardenas and Chico Pinheiro playing Monteleone guitars.

User Info Menu

Great. This is the first that I've heard of him. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Anthony Wilson is a very fine guitar player and he is, indeed, the son of the famous arranger Gerald Wilson. Wilson has also won praise for as an arranger and band leader. Several of his CDs feature a nontet, but he has also recorded with organ trios.

Wilson should be included, imo, in any listing of outstanding contemporary or post-Scofield guitarists.

User Info Menu

Fine guitarist, deep musician, and very nice person, and truly a standout.

User Info Menu

whilst i quite like the warm soft sound of the short scale gibson, i never particularly dig what he's doing.

of course he's very accomplished - but that's not the question is it?

i get the feeling that he's trying to break up the rhythmical line of his phrases to make them hip and unusual sounding - but the effect of that is just choppiness - an absence of flow and continuity of thought.

gray sargent - playing with tony bennett - is the real deal.

e.g.

main solo starts at 2:50

he features heavily on tony b's tribute to duke - hot and cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    whilst i quite like the warm soft sound of the short scale gibson, i never particularly dig what he's doing .... snip
    we all like different stuff which is great

but to me Anthony's solo is just perfect on that tune .....

also thats the perfect guitar sound right there ! I don't think he plays that Birdland
    much any more ....

I played the similar ES350T once which sounded great

love Anthony Wilson

User Info Menu

I like both of them. Both sound like 'the real deal' to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Great. This is the first that I've heard of him. Thanks.

Suggest you listen to Anthony Wilson's work with Diana Krall , a phenomenal player IMO

User Info Menu

the man rocks a Byrdland like nobody's business.
    ...hard to believe that is the same guitar Ted Nugent plays, lol.
    The Live in Paris DVD is worth it if only to hear some Anthony Wilson guitar solos, but there's a ton of great playing by all contributors.

User Info Menu

I've got the Four Seasons CD and it is stellar writing and playing.

User Info Menu

I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Anthony play some years back, in the very intimate setting of The Long Island Guitar Show. It was in the venue that followed to Dix Hills Five Towns College venue. Just simply amazing. A true artist in every sense of the word. When Anthony's in a zone while improvising, he totally oblivious the anything else in the world besides what he's playing and what's surrounding him, musically.

I agree, he doesn't get mentioned enough. He a true master player and a true master musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Anthony Wilson is a great player who doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. I believe he is the son of Gerald Wilson the arranger. Here's some nice footage of him playing with Diana Krall (I was watching this DVD last night). He plays a nice solo at 2 mins 15 secs. The tune is East of the Sun.
    That's my favorite go to jazz DVD for it's video production quality, song arrangements, Claus Olberman, the Parisian ambience, it's All Star musical cast, and of course Anthony Wilson's superb playing. I've worn that DVD out...2001 was a very good year. Wish I could have been there, but I couldn't be happier someone had the foresight to create a DVD of that concert for the sake of history. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

edit - And yes, Anthony's father is Gerald Wilson, who was a well accomplished musician, bandleader, and teacher who passed just last year. Gerald Wilson created arrangements and compositions for Count Basie, Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Dinah Washington, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson, and countless others. And Gerald Wilson, a known fixture at the Monterey Jazz Festival, in 1997 was commissioned to write a 5 piece movement for the festival.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...ry.html#page=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Wilson
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-06-2015 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Diana Krall in Paris is a great DVD indeed! And let's not forget that John Pisano was also part of the band.

Speaking of Pisano, here is a Pisano-Wilson guitar duet, live at Rudy's.

User Info Menu

I greatly admire the guy... chops, taste, and he grew up learning how to write from one of the best. I like all of his solos on the Paris DVD/ CD. Rhythmic, tasty, good harmonic subs, great time.

He still owes me a cd, though He sent me an empty envelope one time, by mistake.... too busy rehearsing for an upcoming tour. I intend to tease him about it, if I ever meet him!

All around great guy and tremendous talent, leading an interesting and full life, highly recommend you buy all of his stuff!