The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mickey.stein
    Eric Dolphy, Booker Little, Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Cannonball, Coltrane, Evans, Tyner, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, well:: It's easier to list those I haven't learned much from and that group is mostly guitar players, although they are usually great people to learn what not to do from.

great stuff man - there are a couple of guitar players that make it work - but, for me, not so much that i have to work out exactly what they're saying

for me, over the last twenty years, its bird and sonny rollins almost exclusively. when i listen to these guys i usually hear things i have to (try to) work out. (i typically go for phrases rather than whole solos)

the other guy is bill evans - but his time is just too good for me to try to play any of his stuff yet. more bird and sonny lines and more right hand work with mr george benson - and one day i might get to learn to play some of his stuff (e.g. autumn leaves, witchcraft, peri's scope - 'portrait in jazz')

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Miles. Just got sent this video from a friend. Oscar Peterson listened to everybody who played a piano and could reproduce them:

User Info Menu

Man, I left out Miles; I suck! He's totally one of my spirit guides. Did some research papers on him in college, love his melodic approach. Such jivey zen magic..

User Info Menu

I like trumpet players, namely Art Farmer and Chet Baker. I would like to learn more sax players of course, especially Paul Desmond, as I feel like his arpeggio work is outstanding. I feel like the pianos and the vibes are too hard for me to translate at this level of my development, as they are super fast sometimes.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the comping work between Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan is outstanding when they did collaborations together. It's not so much "comping" as it is more like, counterpoint, but I do have my ear on that and it is helpful for guide tones.

Very, very good question for a thread conversation. Nice!

"Something something, something...something" - Someone

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention, I like listening to scat because it gives you a sense of "breath" and phrasing. Mostly Ella Fitzgerald.

Peace

-JR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1216
    But what non-guitar playing musicians do you learn from? Is there a particular musician that has helped you become a better musician? Or is there another instrument in general that helps you with your guitar playing?
    Great topic and right up my alley, since my first significant major influence was a non-guitarist (my father, a great jazz trombonist). Pop not only shared the language with his son decades ago, but advised me to do likewise by learning by ear (aka transcribing) and absorbing the works of notable improvisers. Here's a partial list of jazz and R&B non-guitarists who have seriously impacted my playing, composing and teaching methodology over the years:

Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Clark Terry, Ray Brown, Ron Carter, King Curtis, Junior Walker, Stanley Turrentine, Eddie Harris, Lou Donaldson, Wynton Kelly, Tom Scott, Gary Burton, Sam Jones, Ronnie Cuber, Rufus Reid, Jaco Pastorius and Herbie Hancock.

While there are others, I can sit down with anyone as a player/educator and show them specifically what I've learned from these iconic artists. I don't know where my playing would be today without their influence.

User Info Menu

Monty Alexander, Lou Donaldson, Sonny Stitt, Louis Armstrong, Charles Earland, Count Basie, Plas Johnson, Oscar Peterson, Jimmy Smith, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Bobby Darin.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 08-22-2014 at 08:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Gary Husband. In fact, any of Johnny Mac's 'sidemen', who I often think are better at their instrument than he is. And he's a genius.

User Info Menu

I like Chopin and Thelonious. I'm also a big fan of Chris Squire's bass lines.