The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello there.

Does anybody know of any fingerstyle jazz guitarists?

And thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lots of them if you look through the search function of the forum under fingerstyle.
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...-i-bother.html

A few non pickers to get you started but do look through the archives. There are so many you can find there.

Wes Montgomery
    Joe Pass
    Lenny Breau
    Kevin Eubanks
    Mick Goodrick
    Laurendo Almeida
    Ralph Towner
    Wolfgang Muthspiel
    Ben Monder
    Andrew Marzotto
    Stanley Jordan
    John Abercrombie
    for starters. Some of the above use fingerstyle as one of the techniques in their toolbox, and combine it with pick playing for different situations.

and lots of us on the forum here.
    Are you a fingerstyle player?
    David
    Last edited by TH; 03-20-2014 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

All the above, plus Martin Taylor.

User Info Menu

Freddie Bryant

User Info Menu

Gene Bertoncini, Lionel Loueke

User Info Menu

Bill Harris
    Charlie Byrd

DG
    Last edited by daveg; 03-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Add George Van Epps, Bucky Pizzarelli, Earl Klugh, Stefan Grossman, Paco de Lucia (flamenco-style jazz), Leo Kottke, and Duck Baker (one of the best guitarists nobody's heard of). Also let's not forget Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Tommy Emmanuel, who could jazz it up with the best of them.

George Benson of course does the Wes thumb-chord thing.

While all of the above are wonderful guitarists, I guess Joe Pass is more my model for modern chord-melody jazz. What he really plays is stride piano on the guitar--the Art Tatum of guitar.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

@Truthhertz. Yes i am a fingerstyle guitarist.

I have 30 years of playing with a guitar pick experience. I was mainly a rock guitarist. I don't use guitar picks anymore and haven't for around 2 years. I could not be happier with my decision. I write my own fingerstyle songs and hope to share them with others this year, if i'm lucky. I study travis picking and classical guitar and ever some flemanco and whatever fingerpicking techniques i can find.

Thank you all for your responses. And have a great day to you all.

User Info Menu

Howard Morgen, Alan de Mause, John Stein (one of my favorite)...

Coming from a strong Classical guitar background, I'm a little confused by the term "Fingerstyle" as it applies to jazz guitar. Would it, as a descriptive term, properly apply only those who play similar to how a classical player might approach the music, thinking of bass, melody and accompaniment simultaneously or would it also include those whose style is predominately chord/melody played with fingers rather than a pick?

For example, Joe Pass (later work) and Wes Montgomery are often mentioned as notable "Fingerstylists" but there's not a lot in what they do that couldn't be done with a pick. However, take Martin Taylor and his solo guitar style, pretty hard to pull off much of that with a pick...or Earl Klugh, Lenny Breau, Chet Atkins, Charlie Byrd, Almeida....

Perhaps I'm confusing myself with things that don't really matter....quite possible. I'm open to being set straight on what constitutes a "Fingerstylist."
    Last edited by Scot Tremblay; 03-20-2014 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A lesser known one . . . but, a good one . . Russ DeFillipis.

User Info Menu

don't forget the amazing Phil deGruy

User Info Menu

Thanks randalljazz, I should have known better than trying to get a "straight" answer out of a jazz guy ...they're not keen on playing anything "Straight"...now ...Sean McGowan is another, not so well known one, I just thought of.
    Last edited by Scot Tremblay; 03-20-2014 at 07:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    Howard Morgen, Alan de Mause, John Stein (one of my favorite)...

Coming from a strong Classical guitar background, I'm a little confused by the term "Fingerstyle" as it applies to jazz guitar. Would it, as a descriptive term, properly apply only those who play similar to how a classical player might approach the music, thinking of bass, melody and accompaniment simultaneously or would it also include those whose style is predominately chord/melody played with fingers rather than a pick?

For example, Joe Pass (later work) and Wes Montgomery are often mentioned as notable "Fingerstylists" but there's not a lot in what they do that couldn't be done with a pick. However, take Martin Taylor and his solo guitar style, pretty hard to pull off much of that with a pick...or Earl Klugh, Lenny Breau, Chet Atkins, Charlie Byrd, Almeida....

Perhaps I'm confusing myself with things that don't really matter....quite possible. I'm open to being set straight on what constitutes a "Fingerstylist."

I wouldn't get too hung up on the term. It simply means a way of playing with the thumb AND fingers. A lot of the guys mentioned above approach the technique differently too.

BTW - "Finger-style" is also used in the "acoustic guitar" world, whatever that is. "Travis picking" is the big deal.

Footnotes:
    I've never heard Wes referred to as a "finger-style" player. He was a thumb player. Thumb, thumb, thumb! He even wrote a tune "The Thumb". He had a corn on his thumb. You know?

Also - Joe Pass' single lines played with fingers certainly could be played with a pick. But a great deal of his stuff could NOT be played with a pick. Maybe pick and fingers, but not pick alone.

User Info Menu

Bruce Dunlap

User Info Menu

Thanks fumblefingers. In the classical world there are not a lot of obvious differences (although there are differences) between the various ways (Schools) of "finger picking" technique, but in watching the jazz "fingerstylists" there is great diversity, in comparison anyways.

It's not something that will keep me awake until the wee hours of the morning, I was just curious about the termonology more than anything. Wondering if there was any differentiation between the guys who play thumb and a finger or two, pick and a couple fingers and the guys who play thumb and three or four fingers no pick. It would seem not so much, except for the "thumb" players .

The thumb players always dumbfound me. As someone who has always played with thumb and three or four fingers, the thumb only right hand technique strikes me as being so limited but Wes and a couple others I've heard can do some spectacular things with that single digit...

An amazing "acoustic fingerstylist" is a friend, Michael Chapdelaine. He splits his playing time between the classical world and the flat-top steel string fingerstyle with great success. His acoustic repertoire isn't always to my taste but it's fun and I admire his ability. Give him a listen on Youtube if you feel so inclined.

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress

User Info Menu

I just found out Tommy Emmanuel is coming to Omaha this summer, so we can look forward to a fingerpickin' good time...

User Info Menu

TED GREENE!!!

Francesco Buzzurro
    Kenny Poole
    Steven King
    Craig Wagner

User Info Menu

Randall - I had forgotten fingerstyle guys have to go to the nail bar to fix up their nails. And make new friends.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny.

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone who plays guitar doesn't do some fingerstyle at some time - so the list is endless. There are probably more players who don't ever use a pick because they come from a travis picking, or classical, background. Then there's a whole sub culture of thumb-pickers who use thumbpicks, who we tend to think of as Chet Atkins emulators. That whole Chet thing seems to have morphed into walking bassline style of jazz and standards. (Hugely underrated IMO for solo playing at gigs - everyone likes that Chet sound - but it doesn't have to be his repetoire).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    I don't think anyone who plays guitar doesn't do some fingerstyle at some time - so the list is endless. There are probably more players who don't ever use a pick because they come from a travis picking, or classical, background.
    There are lot of fingering possibilities and voicings that are more available if you're not strumming. Dead strings in between not having to be muted etc.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 01-25-2015 at 01:28 AM.