Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Marian McPartland

She just died at 95; a friend to all musicians and a great one herself.

God bless her, she was a great lady and amazing musician...she must have known a zillion tunes...

Peace Marian
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Piano Jazz was a great program.
    Marian was a knowledgeable and talented player. She was always humble and seeking to learn something new.
    Her love for the music and the musicians was always apparent. She showed deep respect for the tradition and openness towards emerging approaches. RIP Marian.

I hope NPR will carry on with her format.

Wow. Too greats over the last couple of days. I love "Piano Jazz." The irony is that yesterday I was listening to the program from 2010, in which Cedar Walton was the guest, and Bill Charlap was filling in for her. Perhaps he'll be the new host; I certainly hope they continue the show.

Quote Originally Posted by paynow View Post
    Wow. Too greats over the last couple of days. I love "Piano Jazz." The irony is that yesterday I was listening to the program from 2010, in which Cedar Walton was the guest, and Bill Charlap was filling in for her. Perhaps he'll be the new host; I certainly hope they continue the show.
    I thought she had already stepped down and John Weber took it over. Maybe I'm wrong, but for some reason I thought that.

Great lady....what a player...

She will be missed...

Prayers for her,her family and close friends...

Time on the instrument...

I love Piano Jazz, and was sad to hear that she is gone. Wonderful player, interviewer, and human being. She will be missed.

"By 1958, she was well enough known to be included in Art Kane’s famous Esquire magazine group photograph of jazz musicians, the subject of Jean Bach’s acclaimed 1994 documentary, “A Great Day in Harlem.” One of the few women in the picture, she stood next to her friend and fellow pianist Mary Lou Williams."

NYT obituary

FYI, there's an excellent documentary about her life, available here: In Good Time, The Piano Jazz of Marian McPartland - Films By Huey

She was quite the musician and will be missed.

Marian McPartland Memorial Broadcast: Thursday, 22nd August 6am - 6pm | WKCR 89.9FM NY

Memorial broadcast on WKCR right now continues till 6PM EST.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed