Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 307

User Info Menu

Beautiful voice;

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Beautiful voice;

Love this. Brings back memories of The Fatback Band... The Gap Band... Fat Larry's Band And I realised I recognised Cameo's She's Strange.

But only the names and the sound are familiar.

Speaking of sound, I'm a very big fan of synth bass. I've posted about it on the 'jazz as a medium for self-expression' thread, but I think Bernard Wright's work here is phenomenal, so I'm posting again - I love how space in the bass line contributes to the groove:

Love the groove and the use of space from 01:00 here, too:

I'm not a fan of subsonic bass. I can see a place for it (I think that's in a reggae 'sound system'.)

And I think I would enjoy a good synth bass groove for listening/dancing. I don't think I could sing or play to it - it's overwhelmingly good. When I hear it, I get Lost in Music like Sister Sledge (or 'solid gone' like Phil Harris's take on Baloo).

On the other hand, a James Jamerson groove inspires me to sing/play - and it moves me down to my soul:

User Info Menu

^^^
    Bass is tricky. Sometimes the part goes below low E and you have to work it out. Bass on the keys is an option. I know all these bass/guitar parts. The rhythm guitar on 'Take Your Time' is a real workout.
    I'm going to get a little synth. For drum tracks I'll stick to switching between part A/B. Nothing fancy. The only other tech thing I want to include is vocal harmonizers. I was going to sell the one I have but maybe I'll hang on to it. It actually works.
    That's it for the 'fake' stuff- Drum tracks and harmonizers.
    I wish this bass player got more credit. He's one of the best ever in pop. Sade had some nice ballads. This would be a nice tune for a guitar player to rock out on or do a smooth thing;

Dance bands need good ballads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Love this. Brings back memories of The Fatback Band... The Gap Band... Fat Larry's Band And I realised I recognised Cameo's She's Strange.

But only the names and the sound are familiar.

Speaking of sound, I'm a very big fan of synth bass. I've posted about it on the 'jazz as a medium for self-expression' thread, but I think Bernard Wright's work here is phenomenal, so I'm posting again - I love how space in the bass line contributes to the groove:

Love the groove and the use of space from 01:00 here, too:

I'm not a fan of subsonic bass. I can see a place for it (I think that's in a reggae 'sound system'.)

And I think I would enjoy a good synth bass groove for listening/dancing. I don't think I could sing or play to it - it's overwhelmingly good. When I hear it, I get Lost in Music like Sister Sledge (or 'solid gone' like Phil Harris's take on Baloo).

On the other hand, a James Jamerson groove inspires me to sing/play - and it moves me down to my soul:
    I don't want to operate drum tracks and be the main guitarist or bass player. There are other things to do while doing drums like singing harmonies and doing synth parts. I'll try one of these mini synths to see if I'm comfortable on it. I need to learn more about sub-sonics and DJ stuff.
    I think bands in LA add more members to do the little things. That's OK but it doesn't hurt to be versatile. If I'm doing a synth bass part the bass player can hop on keys, congos or something.
    Funkin for Jamaica can be transposed to E but it might be better to do it on a synth in C.
    A 6 piece band should be able to handle most material.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 08-04-2015 at 12:42 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Classic Hiram Bullock from 03:02 and from 07:19

This popped up - looks interesting:

User Info Menu

The Pimps of Joytime

User Info Menu

^^^
    haha. pretty good

User Info Menu

Some old Prince;

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

are you telling me to get the funk outta your face? Shesh. Whatever happened to:

User Info Menu

Outstanding videos, thanks for posting!

But now after watching x videos about funky, I am more curious about the funk guitar technique. IS all about a special rhythm? I mean you play the same lick with a funky groove?

How do You play the funk? OR how do you practice it?

thanks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi,

Betty Davis in 1973 - Anti Love Song

User Info Menu

Hi,

James Brown - People, Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul

User Info Menu

Prince brought me here:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ross Bolton 's old video tape is still amongst the best funk studying session material available

my personal favorite funk player is the boston based amazing Jeff Lockhart

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lee covering Sly Stone...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

glad I found this thread. Has anyone mentioned chris bono's course? Just bought it and it's a really good course in funk guitar styles.

30 Funk Rhythms You MUST Know - Chris Buono - TrueFire

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if not..... CORY WONG

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that Paul! He sounds great...

Another topic, has anyone discussed string setup/height relating to funk playing? Many of the rhythm guitar parts on funk play rely on super low action that is buzzing against the fretboard. If you are also playing solos with the same guitar, it can be a challenge to get a good sound for both funk and solo (lead playing). Of course, if you use heavy overdrive like gambale it doesn't matter so much.

Check out the rhythm guitar parts on this tune. Super low action and buzzing... rhythm starts at about :28

User Info Menu

the great willie woods..guitarist for jr walker & the all stars

cheers