Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

jazz bassist - durham

seeking bassist who can play some changes with a guitarist, sax, and drummer. have a pretty solid set list of tunes worked out. all are college jazz students. interviewed a number of players but none have jazz on the brain. pm if interested.. would prefer someone who would be willing to book everything from local sets to tours.

-Thelonious

Yo what's up man. I went to Chapel Hill... like 10-15 years ago. Such a great area... and so many killin players there. Do you know Scott Sawyer? I used to study with him.
    NYC Jazz Guitar Masterclasses - Free Weekly Lessons

"Jordan Klemons is a great guitarist with unlimited potential. His prodigious technique is never an end in itself but instead the means to musical expression. He is a musician who looks to the past for inspiration and influence yet has a modern conception; he is someone to look out and listen for!"
    -Peter Bernstein

Oh, I should clarify... I don't play bass, live in the triangle area, or have anyone in particular in mind to recommend. Just saw you reaching out from a familiar area and wanted to say hi. Hope things are going well there!

"Jordan Klemons is a great guitarist with unlimited potential. His prodigious technique is never an end in itself but instead the means to musical expression. He is a musician who looks to the past for inspiration and influence yet has a modern conception; he is someone to look out and listen for!"
    -Peter Bernstein

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    Oh, I should clarify... I don't play bass, live in the triangle area, or have anyone in particular in mind to recommend. Just saw you reaching out from a familiar area and wanted to say hi. Hope things are going well there!
    Jordan,
    I'm also from the area, and played a lot around chapel hill in the late 90s before moving to NYC in 2001. I actually studied with Ed Paolantonio, who played a lot with Scott. That's cool you spent time in the area. The only other jazz guitarist my age in the area at the time was Dana Chell, who went to UNC (I went to NCSU). Did you know Kevin Van Sant?

--paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald View Post
    Jordan,
    I'm also from the area, and played a lot around chapel hill in the late 90s before moving to NYC in 2001. I actually studied with Ed Paolantonio, who played a lot with Scott. That's cool you spent time in the area. The only other jazz guitarist my age in the area at the time was Dana Chell, who went to UNC (I went to NCSU). Did you know Kevin Van Sant?

--paul
    Man, talk about a blast from the past. Yeah, so I went to Chapel Hill from 01-05 I think. KVS was the first guy I ever studied with. Got me into all that Joe Pass, chord melody type stuff. I knew of Dana, but I don't know if I ever actually met him. I definitely heard him play a good bit at sessions and gigs. And Ed was teaching when I was in school. I never studied piano or worked privately with him... but he was definitely part of my early years in studying jazz... coached one or two of my jazz combos back then.

What a small world, huh? Did you study classical guitar with Billy?

-Peter Bernstein

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    What a small world, huh? Did you study classical guitar with Billy?
    I didn't ever study with Billy, I didn't study classical until later. Dana did, though! he's a great player, although doesn't play much anymore AFAIK. man, I used to play every monday with matt mccaughn, andrew cox, sometimes steve levitin, scott routenberg, alex stein at a place called the groundhog tavern on franklin st. that was when ameen saleem was in town too, who I later played a bunch with in brooklyn.

I studied privately with Ed P for 3 years, did the whole tristano thing of singing charlie christian and bird solos, polyrhythm scales, etc. my last years in NC were kind of an intense time, I played a LOT of gigs and was going to NCSU for computer science and also working during the day as a programmer.

sorry we never crossed paths! I was in brooklyn until last year, just went back for a quick recording session but based in the bay area now. if you are interested, here's a clip from our recording: The Long Game — Paul Sanwald (I switched to upright bass 3 years ago).

would love to check out some of your music, too!

oh man, I just read your website. it is truly a very small world: Ron Brendle played at my wedding. His wife did too, and that was the first string quartet music I ever wrote.

What a thing!

So I currently take piano with Ed P. at North Carolina Central University (although as a guitar student I dont work with him much)! I have sat through a few lessons with J. Caldorazo as well (not really my bag, i much prefer working with branford because its a looser session) they're all good guys with great intent. Although the bassists are a little short right now at the university, looks like me and my fellow drummer/sax player will be hitting the local sessions to be finding a good bassist willing to find work. I am a non-trad. student and after spending five plus years working in music tech in studios, and other computing related fields went back a few years ago for guitar, as i was playing more then than i was working my day job. funny enough i dont really play around much in the triangle.. mostly just shedding trying to finish my last year of this degree and move to europe to get my masters. Ed had me on the same tristano focus for guitar for about a year solid though.

Wow... just crazy... what a small world it can be sometimes.

I love Ron. He played bass on my first record and was one of the main bass players I gigged with while living in Charlotte.

He actually might be a good contact for you Thelonious. He's older, and lives in Charlotte... but he gets around and knows so many players in the region. Might know of some talented younger players in your area.

-Peter Bernstein

no shortage

not a shortage of talent here! man seems like everyone i meet in the jazz scene here has great attitudes and chops! been on the fence as this is my last year, im trying to find schools in europe as well as possibly a few here (ucla and a few others because of their better costs etc) but ive been surrounded with great players since i got to the area. what a way to find out what you need to work on!

All good things-

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald View Post

sorry we never crossed paths! I was in brooklyn until last year, just went back for a quick recording session but based in the bay area now. if you are interested, here's a clip from our recording: The Long Game — Paul Sanwald (I switched to upright bass 3 years ago).

would love to check out some of your music, too!
    Oh word, yeah sorry we missed each other. How do you like San Fran? You happy you moved?

Great stuff... thanks for sharing! Got a really nice Coltrane quartet vibe. And I love the piano left hand and bass player unison stuff. That's a sound I never thought to explore until a couple of years ago when I started arranging for my larger group... such a great pairing!

You can check out my newest album This City by clicking here... it's on bandcamp on my website. Hope you dig it.

-Peter Bernstein

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonious1 View Post
    not a shortage of talent here! man seems like everyone i meet in the jazz scene here has great attitudes and chops! been on the fence as this is my last year, im trying to find schools in europe as well as possibly a few here (ucla and a few others because of their better costs etc) but ive been surrounded with great players since i got to the area. what a way to find out what you need to work on!

All good things-
    Oh word. I must have misread your OP. Thought you were looking for a bassist.

Glad to hear things are going so well!

-Peter Bernstein

J.Klemons

Hey,

I was, we found a few sit in guys and theyre all good, but i left the thread open. Thanks for the heads up! I guess i could safely assume Ron is on facebook? I have gigs starting in late august early september with this group.

All good things-

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed