The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 157

User Info Menu

Mick Goodrick "The Advancing Guitarist" is also a must have for serious guitarists.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorites would be:

* Mark Levine: The jazz theory book

This one is great to understand general jazz theory. He doesn't allways get it right, but I still find it to be the most complete and comprehensive book on the subject.

* John Scofield: Time on my hands

Transcriptions of all the tunes from that album (one of the greatests albums ever in my book) with themes, guitar-solos, chords, tabs, everything

* Joe Pass: Jazz lines

This is actually an instructional video but it comes with a booklet / pdf. It's a collection of frases and etudes (major, minor, domininant, altered respectively). The booklet can easily be used without the video, but the video is also recommended because he talks a lot about how to simplify ones thinking besides actually playing all the frases and etudes.

* Bert Ligon: Connecting chords with linear harmony

Recently I've been checking out this book. It seems to be the best I've seen on the subject of jazz improvisation.

By the way I have yet to find a complete, comprehensive, systematic book on guitar chords voicings. I've been checking out several but most seem pretty messy in my opinion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TamataPicker
    Does anyone have "The 84 Jazz Guitar Equations" method books? Here's an interesting review. TF

Easy Jazz Guitar - 84 EQ Review by David Alzofon
    I have it. It is a good book, but in my opinion it wouldn't be on my shortlist. It takes relatively simple information and drives it home hard. There are a lot of different fingerings for the major scale and diatonic arpeggios. I see it as more of a technique book than a jazz language book.

Having said that, I have gotten some of Steve Crowell's Chord Melody arrangements and found them to be very nice, and laid out in an almost too easy to read manner. I was actaully looking at some of his ideas for Here's That Rainy Day not too long ago, very nice stuff.

As for the 84EQ, I didn't care for it, but people learn differently. You may look at it and fall in love with it.

User Info Menu

Jon Damian's Chord Factory and Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising. Written by one of Frisell's teachers, they are both really interesting-kind of blurs the lines between jazz and everything else.

Gene Bertoncini's Approaching the Guitar-if you can find it.

User Info Menu

i wonder which jazz guitar book one would bring to a deserted island if they could only choose "ONE BOOK" by which to learn jazz guitar... (assuming that there was already a guitar and a box of sheet music there)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJackLee
    i wonder which jazz guitar book one would bring to a deserted island if they could only choose "ONE BOOK" by which to learn jazz guitar... (assuming that there was already a guitar and a box of sheet music there)
    difficult question indeed: in my case Chord Chemistry...if it is only one.

User Info Menu

Has anyone else looked at Modal Mojo by Don Mock? I'm not exactly a bookworm but it's a really great buy for anybody (like me) that needs to knuckle down on all of their modes- It definitely helps to already know your basic theory first. It comes with a CD with etudes and just random ripping from Don which I think really helps to put you on the right track for each mode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hoult
    Has anyone else looked at Modal Mojo by Don Mock? I'm not exactly a bookworm but it's a really great buy for anybody (like me) that needs to knuckle down on all of their modes- It definitely helps to already know your basic theory first. It comes with a CD with etudes and just random ripping from Don which I think really helps to put you on the right track for each mode.
    you can't go wrong with Don Mock. First of all his materials are top notch. Second he is very kind and he answers all questions that you ask about any topic covered in his books and DVD.

User Info Menu

I agree with Nomelite-Don Mock is a great teacher-however find one who makes sense to you and stick with him otherwise you'll just be a book collector!

User Info Menu

Guitar Improvisation ..Vincent Bredice
    Jazz Guitar Workshop..Vincent Bredice
    Jazz Guitar Lines..Vincent Bredice

Joe Pass Guitar Chords....Guitar Method

all Sal Salvador books.....Alan De Musse...Warren Neunes books...

so many books so little time....but check previous posts....

time on the instrument...piere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    I agree with Nomelite-Don Mock is a great teacher-however find one who makes sense to you and stick with him otherwise you'll just be a book collector!
    Sage advice! There are many excellent teachers but we are not obligated to study under them all (-even if only via book, articles, or video demonstrations). We need to learn what we need to know to play what we want to play, and then some (as taste and technique evolve). The teacher is only half the equation--the student is the other half. Someone may be a great teacher but ill-suited to a particular student. The best example of this I know is Sid Jacobs and Vincent Bredice.
    Bredice is a monster teacher. (When I met him, at a Jack Wilkins seminar at the U of Miami, he no longer actually played the guitar. At least, that's what my teacher told me and since he knew Bredice, I figured he knew what he was talking about.) Anyone, Sid Jacobs did *not* care for the way Bredice taught.
    Jacobs thought Bredice wanted students to master all the scales and arps in all positions and THEN play some jazz, whereas Jacobs thought it was better to start with guide tone lines and work out from there. Jacobs has a lot of books out now, and he's a first-rate player, but the Bredice method was not suited to him (Which doesn't mean it is "wrong*, just that it frustrated him.)
    Bredice's books remain solid, but they're not the ideal approach for all players. You really just need to find one teacher who opens the door for you, gives you the foundation, and later you can pick up things from here and there and integrate them into a system / approach that feels like home to you.

User Info Menu

Probably been listed but this was just the book I needed at just the right time.

Jazz Conception by Jim Snidero/Joe Cohn

User Info Menu

I wrote a cool book called "21st Century Chords For Guitar". You can download 4 free pages at my website: bloomworks.com (click on "21st Century Chords" at the top of the web page). In addition you can buy a PDF copy or a hard copy as well. Check it out! There's a lot of ideas in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomworks
    I wrote a cool book called "21st Century Chords For Guitar". You can download 4 free pages at my website: bloomworks.com (click on "21st Century Chords" at the top of the web page). In addition you can buy a PDF copy or a hard copy as well. Check it out! There's a lot of ideas in there.
    gee thanks, but thats all you seem to post here. are you interested in a lively discussion about jazz guitar or looking for some book buyers ? enquiring minds want to know

User Info Menu

Digging the Nelson Faria book of Brazilian Rhythms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_McKeever
    We're missing the greatest Jazz Guitar chord voicing book of all time!
    Guitar Comping by Barry Galbraith!
    Amazon.com: Barry Galbraith - Guitar Comping: Barry Galbraith: Books

This has some of the nicest/smoothest voice leading ever!
    Hi Walt, I agree. Barry's comping book is gold.

All of his books are great really.

User Info Menu

These books are great but they emphasize harmonic theory and scales for jazz.
    What I'm looking for is a definitive book on arpeggios for jazz guitar.
    I know the theory but I don't know where to find practical fingerings for
    vertical (arpeggiated) lines. Could someone recommend a book?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringsinger
    These books are great but they emphasize harmonic theory and scales for jazz.
    What I'm looking for is a definitive book on arpeggios for jazz guitar.
    I know the theory but I don't know where to find practical fingerings for
    vertical (arpeggiated) lines. Could someone recommend a book?
    How about Joe Elliott's Introduction to jazz soloing ? Study group here too.

User Info Menu

I agree with "cubisguitar" Joe Elliotts book is one for you-easy to read easy to play- if you put the ground work in.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Scale forms are different than arpeggios. There must be a book that has
    useful arpeggio forms that travel up the neck of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringsinger
    Scale forms are different than arpeggios. There must be a book that has
    useful arpeggio forms that travel up the neck of the guitar.
    Vincent Bredice's Complete Guitar Improvisation Book , and Ted Greene's Single Note Soloing vol 1 & 2

User Info Menu

i'm find non-guitar Improv books very useful and studying how sax/horn players practice very helpful. The reason is they focus strictly on the notes and sounds, learning to get sounds into your ears. All the technique stuff in guitar improv to me becomes a distraction for actually learning to improvise. Also see how non-chordal instruments practice has become a focus of mine lately that I find interesting.

So books I would add to list:
    Bert Ligon: Connecting chords with linear harmony
    Jerry Bergonzi's series of Jazz Language books.

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested I read this book is the best in explaining chord substitutions:
    Mel Bay Jazz Guitar Method: Ronny Lee: 9780786600366: Amazon.com: Books

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    Every jazz guitarist should have "Modern Chord Progressions" and "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene. The pro players bibles.
    How do you work/use this books?

Do you practice every progression or what is your routine?