The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Our standard for Sept 2017 will be In a Sentimental Mood - by Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, and Manny Kurtz (1935).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (In a Sentimental Mood)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ethan Iverson on IaSM
    Here's his New Yorker article on it - his analysis of Duke Ellington and Bill Evans' versions - recorded the same night 50 years ago
    Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, and One Night in New York City | The New Yorker

User Info Menu

Very good article. The New Yorker was always good.

User Info Menu

So strange. Good things in it though.

User Info Menu

The Duke and many others recorded this tune in the 30's and 40's. I think I'll go for as a bluesey ballad version in D minor.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

I,ve played it few years ago with the trio on my D,Aspiranta guitar....:-)

User Info Menu

In case, like me, you were wondering :-)

EWI (an acronym for electronic wind instrument) is the name of AKAI's wind controller, an electronic musical instrument invented by Nyle Steiner.

September 2017 - In a Sentimental Mood-akai-ewi-usb-249006-jpg

The early models consisted of two parts: a wind controller and a synthesizer. The current model, EWI4000S, combines the two parts into one, placing the synthesizer in the lower section of the controller.

It uses the Boehm fingering system and is designed to be similar in action to a soprano saxophone, although players familiar with the clarinet should have no problem adjusting to the fingering; the EWI instruments can also be played with a simpler fingering system that recorder players can play with very little adjustment. Modern instruments also can be switched to flute, oboe and even brass instruments fingering modes.[1] Like a soprano sax, it is straight, and is held in front of the body with a neck strap. The major manufacturers of wind controllers are Akai and Yamaha. Available models include the AKAI EWI3020, AKAI EWI4000s, AKAI EWI USB, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha WX11, Yamaha WX7, and Synthophone. There is also a controller intended to be played by brass instrumentalists called an EVI (for Electronic Valve Instrument) also invented by Nyle Steiner. The Akai EWI4000S has a special EVI mode that allows brass players to play the EWI. More info on the EVI fingering system. There are also homemade and experimental EWIs with different designs.

The wind controller part of the EWI has a mouthpiece with sensors for air pressure (volume control) and lip pressure (vibrato). The EWI keys do not move, but work through conductivity, sensing the positioning of the fingers by electrical current; this allows for very fast playing. The octave is determined by a set of rollers operated by the left thumb. The wind controller is used to control a synthesizer. Some EWIs have to be attached to a specific synth module, and some have direct output to the MIDI interface. It is also possible to connect the EWI to a Digital Work Station (soundboard) to produce an even larger variety of sounds. Though it is usually associated with jazz/rock fusion and, more recently, with New Age music, the EWI is a musically versatile instrument. The air pressure sensor allows for great dynamic range, especially in combination with an analog synthesizer. Tonal range is also great, usually extending to 8 octaves.

User Info Menu

from a gig last July, in my signature "drunk guy on a tightrope" style

User Info Menu

finally got a chance to listen. Nice job everybody. I really dig Kris's solo. This is a great tune to have in the repertoire.

Iverson's article is great, and that Ellington/Gonsalves version he links to is incredible. His comparison with Evans' version is also very eye (ear)-opening. That Ellington take really makes Evans' sound tame in comparison.
    Last edited by pkirk; 09-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

O.K., Here is my input, a bluesey version in D minor. I created a new BIAB backing track for this one with an 8 bar intro, 3 choruses, and a typical ending (All Real Tracks). The 8 bar intro is basically a repeated, altered 1-6-2-5. I did the three choruses by ear but did not follow the melody too close. I experimented quite a bit with different concepts of Melodic and Harmonic minor so you might hear some strange stuff (Not my normal improv).

wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/x8kgvqp1l3kbe7k0ubrark2535znq0oy

User Info Menu

My first attempt, played some chords under and then melody on top:

People used to post backing tracks for us low-life folks who couldn't/wouldn't bother to make our own. That was cool. I know I could make my own and should do so, but anyway.... :-)

Besides which, it might be cool to hear different versions of backing tracks....

User Info Menu

Well, that one above was just the YouTube 'Learn Jazz Standards' one. They can always be doctored to shorten them or put in stops etc.

User Info Menu

Okay, just melody and one chorus:

Really beautiful tune.

User Info Menu

I am new here (new to jazz as well) and I'm not sure I understand how this works, if I understand correctly you learn the tune and play it. So I tried, learned first half yesterday evening and recorded today, tried to improvise a bit, dont think I managed well, but nevertheless here is my take, feel free to comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Raimonds
    I am new here (new to jazz as well) and I'm not sure I understand how this works, if I understand correctly you learn the tune and play it. So I tried, learned first half yesterday evening and recorded today, tried to improvise a bit, don't think I managed well, but nevertheless here is my take, feel free to comment.
    I liked it. I liked the changed rhythm, it worked. You're obviously a blues-type player and it can be a sort of bluesy ballad.

Yes, you basically do what jazz players do, play the tune and then do some improv. I generally give it a few goes round and then re-establish the tune at the end again. But you don't have to. Too long can bore other people. It's something I'm bad at, personally, I tend to keep going on and on :-)

User Info Menu

It's still September in my part of the world - so, I'm in on time, for a change!

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp3s/IaSM%2000.mp3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    People used to post backing tracks for us low-life folks who couldn't/wouldn't bother to make our own. That was cool. I know I could make my own and should do so, but anyway.... :-)

Besides which, it might be cool to hear different versions of backing tracks....
    There are quite a few decent backing tracks for this tune on YouTube. I found four that I liked and threatened to actually use one of them, this month, but ... I can't help myself.

User Info Menu

Great, M-ster, nice fills. I always enjoy your stuff :-)

User Info Menu

Ok, it seems 2 more years of practicing and this jazz thing could go somewhere..
    Nothing sublime, just decided it's not shameful to show to strangers anymore
    sentimental.mp3 - Google Drive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    ... just decided it's not shameful to show to strangers anymore
    Ha! It's hard to just put it out there!

Like your guitar sound. Is that direct-in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Ha! It's hard to just put it out there!

Like your guitar sound. Is that direct-in?
    Thanks
    Its Tele-TC Nova-soundcard-Reaper with some reverb plugin. Cant use amp, neighbors are always sleeping.