Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    This I my first time to use my new Home Recording Studio. This is my attempt to make a bluesey version of "The Man I Love" ...
    Sounds like you have it all working, Howie! Like your tone.

That was excellent, pk, held me for the whole 8 mins, no prob. I think you should definitely stick it on your list. You've certainly got enough of the tune to count. Doesn't have to be exact anyway. And very nice playing too from all three of you.

I thought the changes were weird too till I got used to them. They fit the tune okay, though, which I suppose is the basic point.

M-ster - Following your recording which was basically just bass and lead I thought I'd try it. Unfortunately my bass doesn't come out very well and it all sounded a bit odd. So I put some twiddles in as well. It's another take on the tune although I'm not sure it adds much to other versions.

It doesn't compare at all to your version or pkirk's and I can't pretend otherwise. I'm sure I'd do the whole thing differently if I had a band to play with! Anyhow...

hey rags, it's marked as "private"

It's fixed. I can't tell this end. That's the second time that's happened. It's a mystery
    Last edited by ragman1; 08-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I've done it slow and fast so this is medium :-)

(Sorry, I think the lead's a bit out of tune)
    Sounds nice. Been meaning to listen to you and glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkniff26

Why, thank you, Sir. Incidentally, I play to a backing through headphones and then sync it in later. It's not that the two are out of tune, the program distorts them. Not much I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    jkniff26

Why, thank you, Sir. Incidentally, I play to a backing through headphones and then sync it in later. It's not that the two are out of tune, the program distorts them. Not much I can do.
    On my phone I could barely hear the backing track. Funny I was thinking he doesn't really need that faintly heard track because you hear the changes stand alone in his playing. The guitar sounds really nice and the rest is like someone talking in the backround when I am reading a book...i hear them but I'm not really listening, ask my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jkniff26 View Post
    ask my wife
    heh heh :-)

Ok, Joe, we get there in the end. I've remixed it. It's not so much fun but it's louder :-)

Last edited by ragman1; 08-21-2017 at 03:08 AM.

sounds great man. Here's my humble contribution

Hey Joe (not supposed to be a joke), I liked that. At least you can do chords. I'm useless at it. I liked that groovy bend at about .23 and that Cm run down too, suited it. You could be onto something here :-)

This might be interesting. It's in Bb, and quite different harmonies.

This is in F. I got bored with making it too 'jazzy' so this is a fairly straight version. Still lovely though :-)

Thanks, Vladan. How're you doing?

I quite like this one. It's in Db, slightly reharmonised, some outside sounds, and sparing with the tune as we're sick of it by now :-)

nice rags-- i like the whole tone stuff

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    nice rags-- i like the whole tone stuff
    Thanks. Yup, whole-tone over dom7 a tone below - i.e. Ab w/t over Bb7 etc.

Vladan -

Are you going to use that as a backing track? Put some bass on and I think it would work.

Nice to see you with a guitar again

Thank you ragman1.
    Also Thanks to trevorS and joe2758 for liking it, as well for all of you who will like it, or not, even hated it, as long as you've listened and watched.

Yes, I thought about overdubbing, but this was without click track, and it clips often because I plugged FX box directly into mic in of this lap top. I gave my usual USB mixer to a friend to fix some broom and hum, but in the meantime he became unavailable because, guess what, if you were wrong about me, about him you would not be ...
    i have even better recording rig on an old XP desktop, but that one has no camera ... and my *travel HD* with all the driving clips I could use is at the office .... so ... maybe in a week, or two .... unless I just do it no matter if clipping and out of tempo ... or I'll wait for electronic drums ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    in the meantime he became unavailable
    Oh!

Well, que sera sera then. It expires midnight Thursday but posting after that is not verboten :-)

Just noticed I never posted the "full" version here.

Just noticed I never posted the "full" version here.

is it Jazz Forum or it was Jazz Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    is it Jazz Forum or it was Jazz Forum?
    You think my version was not even Fusion enough for the forum?

You think my version was not even Fusion enough for the forum?
    NO...it is a very sad track...for me too sad...

I didn’t find it sad - that whammy bar melody brightened up my day no end, it was oddly endearing.

All these hip jazz guys like Julian Lage seem to be playing rocky stuff on a telecaster these days, maybe Vladan is hipper than the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I didn’t find it sad - that whammy bar melody brightened up my day no end, it was oddly endearing.

All these hip jazz guys like Julian Lage seem to be playing rocky stuff on a telecaster these days, maybe Vladan is hipper than the rest of us!
    Maybe...
    but his stuff is too difficult and sad for me without the bottle of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post

Julian Lage is really great, I don't know if there's anyone better, but is far from hip, IMO. Listening to him, watching clips, the only thing he enjoys and is passing over to public is some great music. I think it's not enough to be classified as hip. To his credit, at least he does not think wearing reversed baseball hat would do the trick.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed