The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 96

User Info Menu

Our standard for Mar 2017 will be Star Dust (1929), by Hoagy Carmichael & Mitchell Parish.

Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Star Dust)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joaopaz Guest
    This came up on my YT search. Very nice...

Holy cow. What a great tune. Sometimes you have to do a little digging to find a few good versions of something on YouTube, but the number of truly FANTASTIC jazz versions of this tune on YouTube is beyond just about anything else I've encountered in looking at a tune.

I think I started here, but you can click the suggested versions after each and keep going for about a week:

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-28-2017 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Dam Feb song came and went, hardly got near the guit for last 3 weeks after starting strong. Maybe I have to break it down.

Week one objective transcribe that stunning Clarke Terry head
    (or Wynton Marsalis' or Clifford Brown, oh no and I am sure Lee Morgan did a great version, might loose a week working out which one).

User Info Menu

I'll open the fire,caue I posted it on the forum a few weeks ago

STAR DUST NGC869 the Persea double cluster,taken from my backyard observatory in January 2017
    March 2017 - Star Dust-ngc-869-jpeg-jpg

User Info Menu

The verse is so beautiful, I think omitting it is a crime. ! Listen to this version by Illinois Jacquet !

User Info Menu

Jon Kreisberg is such a great player. He's done a few versions. This is one that is inspiring.
    David

User Info Menu

yeah, I'm going to commit to learning the verse this month. It's a great one, and there's not a lot of great ones (night and day, anyone?)

Here is a nice arrangement for guitar. I may be able to attempt this.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Holy cow. What a great tune. Sometimes you have to do a little digging to find a few good versions of something on YouTube, but the number of truly FANTASTIC jazz versions of this tune on YouTube is beyond just about anything else I've encountered in looking at a tune.

I think I started here, but you can click the suggested versions after each and keep going for about a week:

Amazing version. Nothing too much or to little of anything...

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    I'll open the fire,caue I posted it on the forum a few weeks ago
    I enjoyed this. I remember seeing other videos from to you here in the forum - and I like your style, you have one ... you play things in a strange and beautiful way. :-)
    I mean it in the best way possible.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Jon Kreisberg is such a great player. He's done a few versions. This is one that is inspiring.
    David
    I think I'm going to dedicated the rest of the month listening to Kreisberg instead(!) This is amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    The verse is so beautiful, I think omitting it is a crime
    I think you may have a point. I didn't put it in because, frankly, it would have taken too long. Another time, maybe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    yeah, I'm going to commit to learning the verse this month. It's a great one, and there's not a lot of great ones (night and day, anyone?)
    I think the verse from this Gershwin classic is a beauty , but sadly, rarely featured. Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald interpret the lyrics perfectly, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Spent the night with Clifford Brown on this last night. what a wonderful experience, we are getting together again tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

How about what is probably the definitive vocal of "Stardust" by Nat 'King' Cole in "G" ? With a lush string arrangement by one of the masters, Gordon Jenkins , who provided Nat and Frank with many such wonderful orchestrations.

User Info Menu

So good, simplicity is the most difficult thing to achieve I mean ululele jazz version

User Info Menu

Quite interesting... I see M-ster (well done) has titled the thread Star Dust (as opposed to Stardust). That was the original title with music by Hoagy and lyrics by Mitchell Parish in 1927 (as we're posting other peoples' versions here!):

It got a bit more shmaltzy later...

Personally I like this one by Lester. I always imagine Billie gazing at him playing, fixated, the tears starting... :-)

User Info Menu

I'll report back here in the year 3250 when I've finally learned the melody to this song.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'll report back here in the year 3250 when I've finally learned the melody to this song.
    It's a beast, ain't it? I still can't just fire it off on guitar. I was actually really irritated with the amount of time it took me to simply learn to sing it a cappella a couple of years ago. Very deceptive.

Still say it's the best tune ever.

User Info Menu

I am struggling with this song as well.
    Didn't know the song, didn´t know what version to go from. I just took a Realbook version in C (starts on F) and tried to play the melody as correct as possible. Played it a bit dixie to make it as simple as possible to my ears. Just the melody, no impro.

Btw, I accompanied myself with the metronome on 46 plus guitar...oops, that was not easy at all, to play completely locked in. It took multiple versions to get an acceptable backing version and still you hear me rush a bit. So en passent, I got a great excercise myself. Metronome 46, or lower, guitar chords and record yourself!

Hans

User Info Menu

It's not the notes, it's the pauses :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's not the notes, it's the pauses :-)
    Really easy to lose yourself in the form on this one , especially the way it's phrased in the great recorded versions. A lot of subbing-in of triplet phrasing which basically rushes things ahead to a degree where it's easy to get lost. Dropping beats or half measures is pretty easy to do in solo versions.

One of the hardest tunes to play straight from the real book for sure. Speaking of which, it's almost scandalous how horrible the real book version of this tune is. I assumed it to be just the original old fashioned basic version , but then someone posted Hoagy Carmichael's original sheet on this in another thread recently. It's actually much hipper than the real book . I don't understand how you can actually make something that old LESS hip, but they accomplished it. :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-06-2017 at 10:42 AM.

User Info Menu

This is one of those tunes almost NOBODY plays "straight."

I'm trying to memorize the lyrics and the "important notes" in the nelody...then I think I'll be able to do an interpretation.

Well, I know all the lyrics, and it's still friggin' hard to play. Here's a run through this morning. Rough, but I say that about all of them. Been thinking a lot about "overreach" after P Kirk's thread. Still difficult....