The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Our Poll winner is "What's New". Below You will find a BIAB Realtracks backing track consisting of an 8 bar intro, 3 choruses and a standard ending. Have fun with this great old song!

wiz (Howie)

Backing track----->Box (new Version)

Leadsheet--------->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-10-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: new version of backing track

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Still a great tune. I'll be in this month for sure...haven't played this one in a while.

A great example of what you can do with a melody just by changing key...

User Info Menu

I'm going to try to get something recorded this month. I always mess with the songs but never post anything. Anyway, I went to listen to a few versions of the tune and stumbled onto this.

User Info Menu

Here's one

User Info Menu

Here is my Version, complete with an 8 bar intro, 3 choruses and a standard ending. This version is done by ear, hence I took a few liberties with the melody line with the first chorus. The other 2 choruses are aimed at the altered structure of the chords. As always, feel free to critique this my version of the song. Your comments are very welcome, this the way I learn different approaches to each of these old standards.

wiz

https://app.box.com/s/36zp5vnz0x05acrwtn78tuvrp2xrqplv

User Info Menu

Throwing my hat in the ring this month--went with a straightforward approach. Only had time for one take, so enjoy the beginner violin lesson in the background.

Howie, I really love your tone and laid back swing on this. Melody works great in the lower register.

Mike, that was just a bit cooky. So naturally I liked it. Works good uptempo, and some damn tasty bop playing in there.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff, This song got me a lot of mileage over the past few years. I may bite the bullet and try a chord Melody on this one. Your chord melody was very inspiring to me with some nice chord choices.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Throwing my hat in the ring this month--went with a straightforward approach. Only had time for one take, so enjoy the beginner violin lesson in the background.
    That Russian romanticism got you in the mood, it seems. I really enjoyed what you've played, all the way. And the tone was just ... wow!

User Info Menu

Thanks, man.

Yeah...I listened to Hargrove do it...so romantic...knew I couldn't compete so I went a little more "medium."

User Info Menu

Here's my attempt at 'What's New' as a ballad. Guitar is an ES335 going direct into Cubase. BIAB backing track is just bass & drums. I tried to leave a lot of space and added reverb after the fact.

Paul

User Info Menu

Kind of a boring song, having a hard time getting going on it this month......keep falling asleep practicing.

User Info Menu

Boatheel, this is jazz! If the tune bores you--reharm!

User Info Menu

Here's a version by some local friends...
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

In Howie's notation, the last A, 2nd bar, Bb9 in the first 2 As it was minor? Typo, or there's some "theory" behind it? Melody note works fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Kind of a boring song, having a hard time getting going on it this month......keep falling asleep practicing.
    Yeah, there's no way to make this tune interesting. May 2016 - What's New

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KirkP; 05-24-2016 at 10:30 AM.

destinytot Guest

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Nice! -- Both the first half where you seem to be exploring how to connect the melody to the chord voicings.....
    Thanks! Exactly right.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Very nice Paul!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Here's my take, unaccompanied.

Self evaluation: I tend to focus on study of chord voicings and rhythmic feel. I dislike extensive use of rubato. I don't spend the time I should on study of melody & scales, so sometimes my solo lines tend to sound like fills between chords. When I manage to create an interesting melody line that extends over multiple chords, I smile.

User Info Menu

I often practice over bass/drum backing tracks in iReal Pro set to a variety of rhythms. I always turn off the comping instrument. Here's an example with a Bolero beat.

Last edited by KirkP; 05-29-2016 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here's my take, unaccompanied.

Self evaluation: I tend to focus on study of chord voicings and rhythmic feel. I dislike extensive use of rubato. I don't spend the time I should on study of melody & scales, so sometimes my solo lines tend to sound like fills between chords. When I manage to create an interesting melody line that extends over multiple chords, I smile.
    Nice chord solo.

User Info Menu

I like playing slow ballads. My slow brain can keep up more easily. Here's another attempt, this time with a trio

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I like playing slow ballads. My slow brain can keep up more easily. Here's another attempt, this time with a trio

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads
    Not to mention it provides opportunity to pull off/hammer on - legato in 1/256ths and sound like a real bad ass MFers.
    Last edited by Vladan; 05-30-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Not to mention it provides opportunity to pull off/hammer on - legato in 1/256ths and sound like a real bad ass MFers.
    Don't reveal my secret! :-)