The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Here is my version of a Bossanova approach. It was hard for me to come up with good lines for this one as a Bossanova.
    I will try to do a ballad version before the end of the month. It is difficult to find the time to record due to an unexpected small flurry of gigs. note: Howard Alden will be back here in May for another concert.

wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/i2ubgtwetmy285gwuo8qrib2np8bc3kg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Queen bee soars at 1.50...ooops
    Last edited by heptone; 03-27-2016 at 06:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Anyone checked out Hoagy's original changes? There's a chart in the iRealB. I need to do some research on this tune...

User Info Menu

BTW - in case anyone doesn't know about this site, here is the jazzstandards.com page on the tune:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Skylark)

destinytot Guest
    Warts and all:

EDIT re- did the vocal:
    https://soundcloud.com/mike-mckoy-5/skylark-2
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-27-2016 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Apologies for any confusion cause by post48, must have had too many tabs open. The Queen Bee is Aretha of course ...

Here's my attempt. It's a fairly straight-ahead read of the chart with some excursions here and there. I had a bit of fun in the solo section...nothing crazy though. It's firmly keeping with the spirit of the ballad.

Signal chain:
    Ibanez AF71F (D'Addario Chrome 11 flats, GraphTech TOM bridge, KA Handwound JS-mini humbucker)

Boss Tu-2

TC Electronic Spark Booster (set to Fat mode, gain at 9:00, level and bass at 12:00, and treble at 10:30)

TC Electronic Alter Ego (Dual-delay mode, Time at 3:00, feedback at 10:00, level just barely above 0, Deluxe Memory Man model with chorus selected)

Egnater Tweaker (replaced stock tubes with 6L6s. Modern mode, master at 9:00, model switch on USA, all tone knobs at 12:00, gain switch on clean, knob at 9:00, voicing switches set bright / tight.)

Egnater 1x12 cab (replaced stock speaker with WGS Veteran 30)

Shure SM-57 (perpendicular to grille, about 2" from center of cone)

Presonus Audiobox 22VSL

Audacity

I really concentrated on not going too far outside the original tune, and dialing in a pleasing tone. I prefer using a dual delay instead of reverb. It's just more "interesting" and achieves the same effect of washing out the tail end of the notes. I set it just barely audible to keep it from drowning out the actual notes. I usually set it a bit higher for live use. I think my "secret sauce" is the TC Spark Pedal. It's sort of an "instant jazz solo tone" pedal. I don't see it leaving my board anytime soon.

I left the intro alone. I couldn't find anything I liked to put in there. And, as the old saying goes, "silence is golden."

Thanks for listening!

User Info Menu

Nice Shane! Great how you just wait a micro moment to play the melodi. Micro laidback!

I would take credit for some of that, because I do tend to ride the back of the notes....but my interface has some pretty wicked latency that I tried to manually dial out. I guess I'll call it 50/50.

What really bugs me about it after listening back, is some of the tuning is pretty wonky. I double-checked it with my tuner (both open string and intonation), and got it spot-on before I recorded. It sounds like the guitar is a hair sharper than the backing track in most places. It also showed to still be in tune when I got done. Oh well...what can you do?
    Last edited by shanejohnson2002; 03-28-2016 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    As usual, M-ster, A very professional version with great chords, great tone and great lines. Listening to this is pure pleasure, and makes me want to hear more of your music. Thanks very much for sharing.

wiz (Howie)
    Last edited by wizard3739; 03-28-2016 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

Here is my first effort playing this tune in a guitar trio. There are a few rough edges, but I think this beautiful song is gong to be in my trio repertoire from now on.

Hope you enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Beautiful lines, I really like way you infuse the melody with some blues and country feel which to me is the the essence of Hoagy.

User Info Menu

I am so far behind on these... just finally got this one under my fingers (kinda),
    so here it is:

Thanks for that nice mellow bossa track, Howie!