Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top Jazz Guitar Schools

Hey Everyone

Here's the discussion thread for the top jazz guitar schools lesson.

Top 25 US Jazz Guitar Schools - The Jazz Guitar Blog

Check it out, thanks!
    Matt Warnock Guitar
    FREE 84-Page Jazz Guitar eBook

is the tuition for the entire degree or just one year?

It's by year unless otherwise indicated.
    Matt Warnock Guitar

Just a side note under the Berklee list of alumni. Metheny never attended Berklee, he started teaching there at the age of 19. I started school there at the same time. I believe he did attend Miami for a short period though.

Thanks, yeah just missing a piece of text there, all fixed.
    Matt Warnock Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by jaco View Post
    Just a side note under the Berklee list of alumni. Metheny never attended Berklee, he started teaching there at the age of 19. I started school there at the same time. I believe he did attend Miami for a short period though.
    well if you were there you were there.

but the story that i remember reading is that he indeed went there to study, but shortly after arriving (1 day, 1 week, 1 month?) was told..... eh... why don't you teach here kid?

So many great schools, I always wanted to go to Berlkee! But all I could afford was City College, btw pretty good school if you are bassist, horn, or piano player. And of course Musorgsky College in St.Petersburg before, that nobody heard of here, but it was good for that place and time.

Im surprised with such a big differences in acceptance rate between those schools... What is it based on?

FWIW, I heard the Metheny story the same way as fumblefingers. But I was never at Berklee either. (Berkeley, yes, and GIT, but not Berklee.) So So Jaco's probably right. I don't really know. All I know is what I think I remember I once read somewhere. Maybe in Guitar Player magazine.

Or it could have been that shortly after Metheny got to UMiami, they said "whoa...wanna teach?"

Same basic idea, I guess. The student quickly became the teacher. And the rest is history.
    Last edited by Flat; 11-20-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    FWIW, I heard the Metheny story the same way as fumblefingers.

But I was never at Berklee either. (Berkeley, yes, and GIT, but not Berklee.) So I don't really know. All I know is what I think I remember I once read somewhere. Maybe in Guitar Player magazine.

Or it could have been that shortly after Metheny got to UMiami, they said "whoa...wanna teach?"

Same basic idea, I guess. The student quickly became the teacher. And the rest is history.

Pretty much the same story for Esperanza Spalding and she ended up being the youngest to teach at Berklee, but she didn't stay long too many work opportunities.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

FWIW, I heard the Metheny story the same way as fumblefingers. But I was never at Berklee either. (Berkeley, yes, and GIT, but not Berklee.) So So Jaco's probably right. I don't really know. All I know is what I think I remember I once read somewhere. Maybe in Guitar Player magazine.

Yeah Flat, He went to Miami for a short period then was offered a teaching spot there. Gary Burton invited him to come up to Berklee to teach and he became part of Burton's band with Mick Goodrich. He eventually started the trio with Jaco and Bob Moses while teaching at Berklee. That was an amazing trio.

Berklee: Cost of laptop - $3,140.

What?

The tuition numbers quoted for some of the schools are low and also do not include student fees which are mandatory and in some cases several thousand dollars.

Example: Rutgers Mason Gross School of Music

Estimated Charges (2015-2016)
    Item Fall
    Semester
    Spring
    Semester
    Annual
    Total
    Tuition - In State $5,677.50 $5,677.50 $11,355.00
    Campus/School Fee $1,580.00 $1,580.00 $3,160.00
    Computer Fee $155.50 $155.50 $311.00
    Freshman Orientation Fee $175.00 $175.00
    TARGUM Fee $10.75 $10.75 $21.50
    Total (2015-2016)^ $7,598.75 $7,423.75 $15,022.50

If you are convinced a music degree is your calling and money is a factor, the best values are your state schools, unless you qualify for lots of aid, or your parents have deep pockets.

I recall an interview with Steve Morse, who said that he met Metheny on his first day at Miami. Metheny was also a new student. Miami was just starting their guitar program and the department head offered Metheny the position of instructor in the new program. Imagine that. Metheny didn't have a degree!
    Metheny didn't stay there long.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 11-20-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Thanks for the clarity, Jaco and Drumbler.

It just ain't fair, is it? Some cats just step out of their diapers and are instant monsters. I could play for another 48 years (which would probably make me the oldest human ever) and I would still suck pretty hard compared to those guys as teenagers.

Still, I don't know if any of them really could love the shit more than me. It's possible, but hard to imagine.

So I got that going for me anyways...

it's a good list. lots of room for arguments and nitpicking, but that's what lists are for.

just listing jazz guitar teachers can undersell a school, since in a good jazz program, you can usually study with a variety of instrumentalists

at Berklee, you can work with Joe Lovano, George Garzone, Danilo Perez, etc. even if you don't play their instruments

at NEC, you can work with Jason Moran, Dave Holland, etc.

personally, i would put NEC, Manhattan School, and Julliard higher for those reasons. NEC also has Joe Morris, who's a fantastic teacher/player and one of the few guys to focus on free jazz

additionally, NYU has guys like John Scofield and some other big names listed as faculty, but i believe he only teaches big group labs. the main guy on campus is Bruce Arnold

Just a quick edit to your NYU info. Wayne currently isn't teaching there (here), but he's coming back next semester. And Adam Rogers teaches here. Also Shepik is an alumni, but he's also on the guitar faculty. And I know Randy Johnston was there, not sure if he's still teaching or not. I thought he was, but I could be wrong.

Also... I know it'll piss plenty of people off, but I kind of think it should be ranked first on the list.

I know I know, I'm biased. Seriously though... Sco, Bernstein, Wayne Krantz, Adam Rogers, Brad Shepik, Randy Johnston? It's ridiculous. Not to mention all the other incredible non-guitar teachers.

Probably going to get my head chewed off for that one. Chew away friends.
    NYC Jazz Guitar Masterclasses - Free Weekly Lessons

"Jordan Klemons is a great guitarist with unlimited potential. His prodigious technique is never an end in itself but instead the means to musical expression. He is a musician who looks to the past for inspiration and influence yet has a modern conception; he is someone to look out and listen for!"
    -Peter Bernstein

All I know is even at my age I'd love to go to Berklee for a year (or two), but cost of rent in Boston has skyrocketed.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

"The jazz guitar schools on this list are presented in no particular order, as they all rank highly, and all offer something depending on what you’re looking for as a student."

Thanks, yeah with how often teachers at NY schools move around we went with the ones that are most often there, or are at least on the website listed as currently teaching. Tough to keep up with all the changes! But with all those options, it's hard to argue with the quality of the education in the city.

And there's no number 1, to tough to rank and it's all personal, so all offer plusses and negatives for people to check out.
    Matt Warnock Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by m78w View Post
    Thanks, yeah with how often teachers at NY schools move around we went with the ones that are most often there, or are at least on the website listed as currently teaching. Tough to keep up with all the changes! But with all those options, it's hard to argue with the quality of the education in the city.

And there's no number 1, to tough to rank and it's all personal, so all offer plusses and negatives for people to check out.

Also from my time working at and attending music schools some of the best teacher aren't the big names. It's about teachers with lots of experience and communicates in a way that clicks with you.

I actually attended an outdoor concert in Miami with Pat Metheny on the bill back I believe during Spring Break in 1973. I don't remember who else was on the bill, but I remember being impressed by Metheny even then. I drove down from Fort Lauderdale. I was still in college. I also saw him a couple of times later over the years including a concert at Tanglewood in MA with Joni Mitchell, Pat and Jaco Pastorius.

Just curious...Can a rank beginner go to the schools mentioned?
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

No mention here of G.I.T. (Now M.I,) or University of North Texas. Both are excellent schools for jazz guitar but not mentioned here?

wiz
    Howie

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    No mention here of G.I.T. (Now M.I,) or University of North Texas. Both are excellent schools for jazz guitar but not mentioned here?

wiz
    Hi Wiz, North Texas in on the list, it's number 7
    Matt Warnock Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    Hey, I don't think these programs are designed for beginners. Mostly for advanced undergrad and graduate school age/level performers.
    Matt Warnock Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post

wiz

GIT has pretty much morphed into a Rock and Pop school. During the 90's and especially after Pat sold the school it started changing a lot. I haven't been around there or spoke to anyone in a few years but seems like what Jazz there is, is Fusion. It's not like when HR was still there on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    GIT has pretty much morphed into a Rock and Pop school. During the 90's and especially after Pat sold the school it started changing a lot. I haven't been around there or spoke to anyone in a few years but seems like what Jazz there is, is Fusion. It's not like when HR was still there on a regular basis.
    True dat. It's not even close, imho. I attended a couple of concerts at the new MI in recent years and took a look around. Got to see Jim Hall play one of his last LA dates there. Maybe a Rosenwinkel show too.

Hey docbop and wiz, did you guys ever read this book? I read it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I was at GIT in '83 when it was adjacent to the Hollywood Wax Museum. But I learned that I never knew even 2 percent of the drama about the start of the school, or its eventual sale to the Japanese firm.

The book is told completely from Pat's perspective, like it would have to be. I do wish I could read the same story from Howard's perspective though, just for balance.

It's not all happiness and light. But in any case, you guys might enjoy it.

Trading Fours: The Golden Years of Musicians Institute: Mr. Pat C Hicks: 9781456535070: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by Flat; 11-21-2015 at 01:27 AM.

True dat. It's not even close, imho. I attended a couple of concerts at the new MI in recent years and took a look around. Got to see Jim Hall play one of his last LA dates there. Maybe a Rosenwinkel show too.

Hey docbop and wiz, did you guys ever read this book? I read it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I was at GIT in '83 when it was adjacent to the Hollywood Wax Museum. But I learned that I never knew even 2 percent of the drama about the start of the school, or its eventual sale to the Japanese firm.

The book is told completely from Pat's perspective, like it would have to be. I do wish I could read the same story from Howard's perspective though, just for balance.

It's not all happiness and light. But in any case, you might enjoy it.

Trading Fours: The Golden Years of Musicians Institute: Mr. Pat C Hicks: 9781456535070: Amazon.com: Books
    I didn't even know about that book so have to get a copy and see what was going on behind the scenes. I went in 1980 and I was going thru a rough time in my life and Pat gave be a full scholarship and I went again in 1990. So I will be forever grateful to Pat for that. It was so sad in 1990 Howard came to GIT to give a seminar and then do open counseling. I went to the open counseling and was the only person there so HR and I had a great talk on all sorts of topics.

I worked at Grove School of Music and there can be a lot of drama behind the scenes with music schools. In fact when GIT was starting they were in discussions to have Dick Grove put together and teach the harmony and theory classes, but they got hung up on one issue and it never happened.

I haven't seen the GIT book and what happened with HR, but knowing about Grove could be similar, you have great musicians that aren't great at business side.

I wasn't too surprised to find out that Marcus, my local pizza delivery guy, has a performance degree from the New School. He couldn't find any music gigs that would pay his rent, utilities, car payments, insurance and student loans, and he realized his degree didn't really qualify him for much else. He is smiling and eating, though. Hasn't had a playing gig that paid over $70 in his life.....

Juilliard rate of acceptance: 6.7%

It's the ultimate paradox - to get into the Juilliard, you have to be so good that you don't need to get into the Juilliard!

Jazz is like cave painting, There's not much call for it nowadays!....L...

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    you have to audition. You can see the requirements on most web sites. Some schools have programs for non-majors to help them get up to speed. It should take an adult about 2-3 years of that to be able to pass the freshman performance audition.

the general pattern is a kid who has been studying since the age of 10 or even younger, has played in school ensembles, played concerts, can read, knows the fundamentals of the instrument, has a handle on basic theory, etc.

some schools in the past have lowered the bar for electric guitarists, but standards have probably risen, especially at the top schools. Pickers and grinners have typically lagged behind their keyboard, string, and horn playing peers.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed