The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Since we seem to again have an obvious poll winner, "Desafinado", the links below are for a BIAB backing track, This time the track is a BIAB realtracks bossanova trio with Clark Terry-drums, Oliver Gannon-guitar and a top Canadian bass player (I forgot his name). It has a 4 bar intro, 3 choruses and a standard ending. I took only a few liberties with the chords so they will be similar to the Real Book version. Thanks to Oilywrag and fep ,This is a rendered file so there should be no noticeable background.noise. Have fun with this tune!

Desafinado Backing Track.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Desafinado backing track_Render(2).mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie - a new song awaits!

User Info Menu

Hey, Howie, I've had a chance now to listen to your BT and the sound is much better. I really like the overall feel too. But I have to admit that at my level of jazz playing, I'd have no chance of improvising over 8 minutes of backing :-) I'm probably not alone in thinking that ideally a much shorter piece would be more effective for the purposes of these threads - obviously the longer versions are great for jamming or public performances of course. I also realise that this particular song is, well, long :-) I guess from my perspective, in general, if I could manage one pass as a chord-melody, with a second pass at trying to improvise through the chords, I'd be really happy, which probably means that soemwhere between 2 and three minutes depending on the song is about my limit. Also, just on a practical point, I really hope that we have loads of submissions, but again, in order to do them all justice by thorougly listening to them, I think shorter versions might be better from the amount of time we each have to participate (listening).

While on the subject this subject, essentially pedogogy, I'd also like to suggest that we perhaps spend longer on each song to give the debutants more time to integrate the theory and 'lessons' provided by thread participants. Sometimes there's loads, and other times, of course, not so much. I'd like to be able to get back to the point where I can contribute to the creation of a sort of lesson plan around each song and believe that extra time might be useful.

What do you think? And everyone else of course!

Oh, btw, this is not to suggest for one moment that I don't appreciate your efforts (and Tom's) in producing great backing tracks - I do! So this isn't a request to rush out and create a shorter version :-) Just to air some thoughts and get some feedback...

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

Hiya Tony,thanks for the good thoughts and comments for this thread, you have made some good points on the length of the submission. What I have been doing is having a minimum of three choruses available, one for comping, one for straight melody and one for improvisation. This approach probably reflects the way I study songs when preparing for a gig. I never really gave much thought to the length of each submission. Since most of my work revolves around a vocalist, In general, she usually starts the song and I pick up the second chorus. Then she finishes the song. (occasionally I will take two choruses depending on tempo and the the length of each chorus). I would very much like to hear other comments on the number of choruses we should prepare for the backing tracks. It is very easy to make the the backing tracks fit our preferences and we can have whatever number of chorusus we decide on.

wiz

wiz

User Info Menu

Hi Howie, I had a feeling that was where you were coming from :-) For me, I'm fine until I feel confident enough to submit a proper version so let's wait and see what others come up with. I'd love to hear a version with your vocalist though!
    Cheers,
    tony

User Info Menu

As a thought Seeing how the thread is about learning how things can be approached on a tune eg comp, solo, chord mel.. Why don't don't we use single chorus backing tracks?? I know that on short fast tunes it would be over before we had started, but hey we haven't had one like that yet. If someone wants more than that in a tune then I would think that we could quite easily put one together. Plus there is always common sense when it comes to the length of a faster tune. Just my £0.02p worth..

Tom

User Info Menu

desafinado is a pretty long tune, might be why it's seven minutes.

User Info Menu

Here's something I stumbled onto and thought I'd share.

User Info Menu

Very nice, Morroben. Let's see what our own guitarists can come up with :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyknight
    Very nice, Morroben. Let's see what our own guitarists can come up with :-)
    I just started working on this one. I listened to a bunch of versions today, because it's not a song I'm very familiar with. That one stood out to me. Tonight I'm just trying to get the melody under my fingers.

User Info Menu

Here is something I put together last night. Hope you enjoy. Great tune.

04 Desifinado.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Hi Kman, very goooood, very nice feel to your tune plus good lines. Not over played, with a nice sense of space and time. Plus well recorded. What more can I say? Thanks for posting

Tom

User Info Menu

KO Kman! Thanks for posting this. As usual you have managed a very tasty and understated performance which is refined enough to be proud of. Plenty of space and an easy-going timing, with nice use of chordal undertones at certain points in the melody. It's encouraged me to take the first step (I was holding off dut to impossible time restrictions) so I've just printed the chart to see what I can make of it :-)

If I can in any way do so, I'll make an attempt at basic analysis - which is essential if I'm going to be able to try any comping or solo of this piece.

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

You have done it again! This is a very tasty version of the tune with good tone, good backing track and good laid-back melodic phrasing. Also I think a very good use of space. Thanks for sharing,

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I would very much like to hear other comments on the number of choruses we should prepare for the backing tracks.

wiz

wiz
    I'm not very active in this forum these days so I probably should keep my mouth shut. That said I like the approach that you are taking with the 3 chorus backing track. Also it is never a bad idea to practice the melody of the tune. So if one is having a tough time to improvise over two choruses why not playing the melody one more time? Last not least there is the option of fade out.

User Info Menu

This is my take on Desafinado. I wish I had more time to work on it but I have a tough weekend of rehearsals and gigs. Maybe I can get back to it next week. I tried to play over the changes referencing the melody line with a lot of guidance from my ear. I apologize in advance for the flubs and promise to try to do better next time. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you care to give.

wiz

Desafinado # 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Well played wiz, liked the groove and great tone!

User Info Menu

Kman, really nice job. Airy and melodic, wonderfully played. It will be a while before I can muster anything to present myself, but I get really insprired by you more advanced players. Thank you all!

User Info Menu

Hi Howard, very nice melodic lines and good ideas and tone. Thanks for posting.

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This is my take on Desafinado. I wish I had more time to work on it but I have a tough weekend of rehearsals and gigs. Maybe I can get back to it next week. I tried to play over the changes referencing the melody line with a lot of guidance from my ear. I apologize in advance for the flubs and promise to try to do better next time. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you care to give.

wiz

Desafinado # 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Wiz, you sound really nice on this. Great job.

User Info Menu

My contribution to the discussion: I checked out various YouTube vid's of Jobim, João Gilberto, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz (even Kenny G - there, I said it) playing this tune.

Here's the reference I ended up using:

Items of interest:

1) Many of the versions are in Eb, rather than F (not a big deal, just noting it)

2) Most everyone plays a maj7 in bar 11 and then the dom7(b9) in bar 12

3) Dig the melody in bar 11, too. There's one note different than you think

4) Check the phrasing in bars 32 to 44 - very cool

5) Check the various changes in bars 47 - 48. Is it me, or is Jobim playing the hippest stuff? (Listen to the vid' for the voicings)

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!
    Happy to have opportunity to share my try with you! Appreciate any kind of comments in advance!!!

Desafinado.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Nice recording Swinger. Very lyrical and a nice flow to the whole tune. You didn't get too daring with it, but that's ok. Everything was flawless from start to finish. You hear the tune real well and it shows.