Jazz Guitar

Forum Sponsors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Interesting

In light of some great posts.This should give you something to play with.

www.box.net/shared/4ndtdeg3fv

Still @150.Same chords,same intro,even feel..

Enjoy,

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag View Post

www.box.net/shared/4ndtdeg3fv

Still @150.Same chords,same intro,even feel..

Enjoy,

Cheers,

Tom
    Neat idea, Tom - I'd never thought of playing this one as a Bossa before! Sounds great and very fun.

Very nice examples. Liking Martin Taylor and Romero's versions.

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag View Post
    I like it... changes everything

Good idea, Tom! I will work with it as a bossa just for fun.

wiz
    Howie

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    Thank you, Frank (fep). I really like this thread because it helps me learn new things and totally disproves the saying "you can't teach old dog new tricks". This without question my favorite and most useful thread. It is fun and forces me to look more carefully at what I am playing. You have a good thought about going back to do some analysis in a couple of days. I will definately give that a try. BTW, Howard Roberts taught me the "up a minor third" trick and it always seems to work for a II-V progression. I hope your health issues will disappear soon so you can continue to enjoy playing your guitar.

wiz
    Hey Howard, That's a cool device as is the sliding it back a half step to resolve to the I as FatJeff suggested. I'm going to devise a plan to practice that and get it into my playing.

These are my favorite threads also. It sets an automatic goal of learning a tune and sharing it with the group. In addition we learn from each others recordings. Very practical and useful.

Thanks for the well wishes on my health. It's a bit of a long road for me with this health issue but my odds of recovery are good and are getting better as each day passes. I've been isolated in a private 'clean room' at the hospital since January. I've had high dosage chemo and a bone marrow transplant.

I've started to pick up the guitar... my hands are still a bit swollen, stiff, and I've acquired a bit of a tremor. Hopefully all this will disapear with time.

Here's a photo from last week of me trying to work out the kinks. I'm planning on playing more and more as my energy improves. That's my 'hospital guitar' that I brought along, a Godin nylon string solid body. Loud enough for me to hear, but quiet enough that no one hears it outside my room. Notice the IV tower behind me that I'm hooked into through a picc line at the inside of my left bicep - 23 hours a day. Thank God for guitar playing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reg
    Hey Frank... your my hero man... Really... You rock, well maybe not like sgreb's rock, but as close as I can get... all the best your friend Reg

Nice looking "hospital guitar"! Reg is right, you are the man, you have a great attitude for a speedy recovery.

wiz
    Howie

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post

Thanks for the well wishes on my health. It's a bit of a long road for me with this health issue but my odds of recovery are good and are getting better as each day passes. I've been isolated in a private 'clean room' at the hospital since January. I've had high dosage chemo and a bone marrow transplant.
    Whoah whoah whoah WHAT? This is the first I heard about this. Best of luck on your speedy recovery fep!

- Jeff

To your health, Fep!

Good pickin', Wiz...

I've been wrangling a new computer into shape this week--no time to practice guitar. That must change today.

I love this support group!

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Notice the IV tower behind me that I'm hooked into through a picc line at the inside of my left bicep - 23 hours a day. Thank God for guitar playing!
    Hey Fep,

That's quite a cocktail they have you on!

All the best to you and a post haste recovery. Glad you have the Godin to keep things in perspective.

Hey all, Thanks for all the well wishes. They brighten my day. I'm pretty confident I'll get better. Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb View Post
    Hey Fep,

That's quite a cocktail they have you on!

All the best to you and a post haste recovery. Glad you have the Godin to keep things in perspective.
    It is quite a cocktail... In the neighborhood of 15 to 20 meds a day, I've given up keeping track. In addition, I often get a bag of platelets and a bag of red blood cells. Incredible, they are often putting up to 250 ml per hour into my blood stream. They take my blood to the lab between two and four times a day to evaluate tweaking my meds. There is one nurse for every two or three patients. It's really incredible, this level of care. I'm at one of the premiere bone marrow transplants specialty hospitals in the country, they've done more than 10,000 transplants.

And, my sister was my donor. She has B positive blood, I have O positive. Within the next several months my blood type will change to B positive and will show XX chromosomes!

Just a personal update.

I am totally digging this tune. Been a real challenge as I've never been much of a straight bop player.

Still struggling with the B section of the head. (learning it by ear...sure wish I could read better)

I hope to post something in the next day or two.

How's everyone else doing?

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb View Post
    Just a personal update.

I am totally digging this tune. Been a real challenge as I've never been much of a straight bop player.

Still struggling with the B section of the head. (learning it by ear...sure wish I could read better)

I hope to post something in the next day or two.

How's everyone else doing?
    I can play the head. Reading is fun and very helpful.

I'm working at home today, and my apprentice is coming over. He's a pretty good jazz player. We'll play through it together and see what those changes feel like.

Reg
    hey... I'm kind of laying back and not posting a video yet... Should I read through tune and play, maybe casually and talk about what and how I might play. Maybe comp through in a few styles and read head, maybe single note and then solo style. I have nothing worked out... but if that would help get some posts...I'll post something... remember this is not a show case... it's simply to help us learn and be able to play tunes... If you go through the memorization process... that's what your learning. The head is busy... don't play all the turns,(the triplets), leave the harder parts out... skip the head like Wiz... post only the A sections... Anyway... that process of recording and then checking it out, having your friends also check it out is pretty rare in this world. The more you go through the process... the easier it becomes. Reg

WARNING -- In Real Book 1 there is a mistake in measure 13. Bm7 should be Bbm7.

Some charts have that as a Gb which makes sense; it would be F instead of Am7 in measure 5 if that's how you want to think of it.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 03-09-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    hey... I'm kind of laying back and not posting a video yet... Should I read through tune and play, maybe casually and talk about what and how I might play. Maybe comp through in a few styles and read head, maybe single note and then solo style. I have nothing worked out... but if that would help get some posts...I'll post something... remember this is not a show case... it's simply to help us learn and be able to play tunes... If you go through the memorization process... that's what your learning. The head is busy... don't play all the turns,(the triplets), leave the harder parts out... skip the head like Wiz... post only the A sections... Anyway... that process of recording and then checking it out, having your friends also check it out is pretty rare in this world. The more you go through the process... the easier it becomes. Reg
    Reg, I know you are ready without any preparation. And I figured you were holding off for some reason. Let if fly anytime.

Anyway... that process of recording and then checking it out, having your friends also check it out is pretty rare in this world.
    +1

Joy Spring improv

Hey guys! Did we finish with "Joy Spring"? Are we ready to move on?

wiz
    Howie

Not quite for me. Been a bit busy, but want to post for the forums opinion. Hopefully today

Reg
    I'll make a video... shortly... I get lazy... sorry. Yea not a whole lot of posts... your the man wiz...Reg

I made a video playing over the bossa nova track. But I must have made too high resolution. It took hours to upload, and then it didn't work.

Hey Reg, what's the size and upload time of your typical video?

Reg
    Hey Ken... I'll tell you the size as soon as I make one for JS... but it usually takes about 10 to 20 min. I post all my videos on my YouTube site and download from there. It's only a couple seconds at most from You Tube.

Reg
    Here's a weak take of joy spring... I tried to play as chord solo... usually I can fake my way through most tunes... anyway... I got caught on JS... The head is a little busy for trying to voice... but that's how it goes sometimes. If we keep tune around ... I'll try and work out something... steal something from JP... he never seem to have any problems.
    +
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's a even weaker take. Bossa nova style. I butchered it, took 2 stabs at the head, then noodled out to the end.

[Video Tech Note: I converted the avi file to flv. Then it turns out that Windows 7 and I are not in agreement about flash videos. Firefox won't play it. IE 64 bit won't play it either. I think I'll try mp4 next time.]

+
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Reg
    Yea ... Ken... great playin on a difficult tune. Of course I dig the octaves... Pretty stylin guitar... I don't recognize... is it one of yours.... Reg

Here is my very very short take on this, I had to cut half of it cause my wife started making so much noise :-)

js.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Yea ... Ken... great playin on a difficult tune. Of course I dig the octaves... Pretty stylin guitar... I don't recognize... is it one of yours.... Reg
    Yours sounded good too. I like the way you play the chord changes.

The octaves were the result of dare from my friend Jim. We work together in my shop one day a week building 2 new archtops. Last week during our break we were swinging Joy Sprint pretty fast. I started out playing the head in the lower register. He asked me if I could do it up an octave. So I did. Then he asked me if I could play both octaves at once (He's trying to perfect his octave technique, while I've been doing it a long time). Late one beer-filled night I realized I could do it if it was slow enough. That's why I used the bossa nova track. I ran through it a few times drunk and recorded it first thing the next morning. Way too early under the circumstances. I could do better.

The guitar is one that we built here. I copied my 54 LP Jr and stuck my headstock on it. The 54 is longer in playing condition. Unfortunately it's not collecting condition either.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 03-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I hear you, Jay!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1