The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb
    The Nylon String guitarist is Romero Lubambo from Brazil.
    I like the tune in this non-swing fashion. It really changes the vibe. Opens it up for a different soloing approach.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All I can say is DAM that nylon string version is GREAT!

Loved the feel and the two gave the tune such a flow and energy.

RAH!!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, that nylon string guitarist is awesome. I really enjoyed listening

User Info Menu

Too bad it cuts off.....

User Info Menu

Just a personal update.

I am totally digging this tune. Been a real challenge as I've never been much of a straight bop player.

Still struggling with the B section of the head. (learning it by ear...sure wish I could read better)

I hope to post something in the next day or two.

How's everyone else doing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb
    Just a personal update.

I am totally digging this tune. Been a real challenge as I've never been much of a straight bop player.

Still struggling with the B section of the head. (learning it by ear...sure wish I could read better)

I hope to post something in the next day or two.

How's everyone else doing?
    I can play the head. Reading is fun and very helpful.

I'm working at home today, and my apprentice is coming over. He's a pretty good jazz player. We'll play through it together and see what those changes feel like.

User Info Menu

hey... I'm kind of laying back and not posting a video yet... Should I read through tune and play, maybe casually and talk about what and how I might play. Maybe comp through in a few styles and read head, maybe single note and then solo style. I have nothing worked out... but if that would help get some posts...I'll post something... remember this is not a show case... it's simply to help us learn and be able to play tunes... If you go through the memorization process... that's what your learning. The head is busy... don't play all the turns,(the triplets), leave the harder parts out... skip the head like Wiz... post only the A sections... Anyway... that process of recording and then checking it out, having your friends also check it out is pretty rare in this world. The more you go through the process... the easier it becomes. Reg

User Info Menu

WARNING -- In Real Book 1 there is a mistake in measure 13. Bm7 should be Bbm7.

Some charts have that as a Gb which makes sense; it would be F instead of Am7 in measure 5 if that's how you want to think of it.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 03-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    hey... I'm kind of laying back and not posting a video yet... Should I read through tune and play, maybe casually and talk about what and how I might play. Maybe comp through in a few styles and read head, maybe single note and then solo style. I have nothing worked out... but if that would help get some posts...I'll post something... remember this is not a show case... it's simply to help us learn and be able to play tunes... If you go through the memorization process... that's what your learning. The head is busy... don't play all the turns,(the triplets), leave the harder parts out... skip the head like Wiz... post only the A sections... Anyway... that process of recording and then checking it out, having your friends also check it out is pretty rare in this world. The more you go through the process... the easier it becomes. Reg
    Reg, I know you are ready without any preparation. And I figured you were holding off for some reason. Let if fly anytime.

User Info Menu

I made a video playing over the bossa nova track. But I must have made too high resolution. It took hours to upload, and then it didn't work.

Hey Reg, what's the size and upload time of your typical video?

User Info Menu

Hey Ken... I'll tell you the size as soon as I make one for JS... but it usually takes about 10 to 20 min. I post all my videos on my YouTube site and download from there. It's only a couple seconds at most from You Tube.

User Info Menu

Here's a weak take of joy spring... I tried to play as chord solo... usually I can fake my way through most tunes... anyway... I got caught on JS... The head is a little busy for trying to voice... but that's how it goes sometimes. If we keep tune around ... I'll try and work out something... steal something from JP... he never seem to have any problems.

User Info Menu

Here's a even weaker take. Bossa nova style. I butchered it, took 2 stabs at the head, then noodled out to the end.

[Video Tech Note: I converted the avi file to flv. Then it turns out that Windows 7 and I are not in agreement about flash videos. Firefox won't play it. IE 64 bit won't play it either. I think I'll try mp4 next time.]

User Info Menu

Yea ... Ken... great playin on a difficult tune. Of course I dig the octaves... Pretty stylin guitar... I don't recognize... is it one of yours.... Reg

User Info Menu

Here is my very very short take on this, I had to cut half of it cause my wife started making so much noise :-)

js.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea ... Ken... great playin on a difficult tune. Of course I dig the octaves... Pretty stylin guitar... I don't recognize... is it one of yours.... Reg
    Yours sounded good too. I like the way you play the chord changes.

The octaves were the result of dare from my friend Jim. We work together in my shop one day a week building 2 new archtops. Last week during our break we were swinging Joy Sprint pretty fast. I started out playing the head in the lower register. He asked me if I could do it up an octave. So I did. Then he asked me if I could play both octaves at once (He's trying to perfect his octave technique, while I've been doing it a long time). Late one beer-filled night I realized I could do it if it was slow enough. That's why I used the bossa nova track. I ran through it a few times drunk and recorded it first thing the next morning. Way too early under the circumstances. I could do better.

The guitar is one that we built here. I copied my 54 LP Jr and stuck my headstock on it. The 54 is longer in playing condition. Unfortunately it's not collecting condition either.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 03-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I hear you, Jay!

User Info Menu

yea Jay... cool. Very melodic ideas...aren't you going through the ten step program to quit tonal areas and get into chord tones...tone-aholic, isn't that a 7 or 8 step program. sorry weak attempt at humor. Anyway I dig your lines... nice.
    Yea Ken... I've used that preparation technique many times... Reg

User Info Menu

Ken, thanks man I dug your octave playing very clean.
    Reg, your take on this was great (as usual) and please please don't tell the guys in the tone-aholic program you caught me ;-)

User Info Menu

Reg, Ken & Jay, thank you very much for posting Joy Spring on this thread. I gain something from each post and at my age & disposition that is simply great! I love this thread and look forward to each post.
    As a side note, my little group has lost our keyboard player so I am busy trying to re-arrange our sets with me doing all of the intro's. We are now a quartet consisting of a Vocalist, a guitarist, a bass and a Drummer playing mostly GAS with a some jazz titles. We have decided to try to work without a keyboard player. Any advice you guys may have would be sincerely appreciated.

wiz

User Info Menu

A voicing study for the A section. All chords are 1 beat each or 4 to the bar however distributed.

FMa6/9-----------FMa7-----------Dm9-------------Dm7Sus--------
    X X A D G C-----X X C E F C-----X X A D E C-----X D G C F X--//

Gm7Sus----------Gm9Sus----------Gm7b5-------------C7b9
    X X G C F Bb-----X X Bb C F A-----X F Bb Db G X-----Bb E G Db X X--//

FMa9------------FMa9------------Dm9-------------Dm7Sus-------
    F X G C E X-----A X G C F X-----X F D E A X-----X X A F G C--//

Bbm9--------------Bbm9--------------Eb7Sus---------------Eb7Sus
    X F Db F Ab C-----X F C Db Ab X-----X Eb Ab Db G X-----Bb G Ab Db X X--//

FMa9------------Dm9-------------Ab13Sus-------------Ab9+---------------
    A F G C X X-----X D F C E X-----Ab X Gb Db F X-----X E Bb C Ab X--//

Gm7Sus-----------Gm9Sus---------C9Sus------------C7+--------------FMa9
    X X C D F Bb-----X X Bb F A C-----X X C F Bb D-----X X Bb E G# E--//X X C G A F

Just an exercise, not real music like the recordings presented.
    Last edited by bako; 03-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Howie,

Become very comfortable with space.
    Trust your bass player and drummer.
    If each person can make the song speak solo then each additional musician is a bonus.

User Info Menu

Hey Bako, your post is pretty mal-formatted for those of us with small screens. I've wrapped your post in the CODE tag to force a fixed-width font, and made some edits to how I think you intended for it to lay-out on-screen:

Code:
    FMa6/9----------FMa7------------Dm9-------------Dm7Sus-----------Gm7Sus-----------Gm9Sus-----------Gm7b5-------------C7b9
    X X A D G C-----X X C E F C-----X X A D E C-----X D G C F X--//--X X G C F Bb-----X X Bb C F A-----X F Bb Db G X-----Bb E G Db X X--//

FMa9------------FMa9------------Dm9-------------Dm7Sus-----------Bbm9--------------Bbm9--------------Eb7Sus-------------Eb7Sus
    F X G C E X-----A X G C F X-----X F D E A X-----X X A F G C--//--X F Db F Ab C-----X F C Db Ab X-----X Eb Ab Db G X-----Bb G Ab Db X X--//

FMa9------------Dm9-------------Ab13Sus------------Ab9+---------------Gm7Sus-----------Gm9Sus-----------C9Sus------------C7+--------------FMa9
    A F G C X X-----X D F C E X-----Ab X Gb Db F X-----X E Bb C Ab X--//--X X C D F Bb-----X X Bb F A C-----X X C F Bb D-----X X Bb E G# E--//--X X C G A F
    Does that look right to you? You have some interesting voicings in there. I like where you're going with this, even though I'm not quite sure where that is

User Info Menu

JCKOTO3

On my screen, my post looks fine, I don't really know what happens when it leaves my computer room. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'll edit/reformat it in a safer way.

User Info Menu

Bako: Thank you very much for the advice. The drummer is an old pro but our bass player hasn't played for many years. We are teaching him about GAS and he has responded very well. He doesn't do any solo's yet but he is working on walking bass concepts and his time is really good.
    Also, your voicing exercise is very interesting. I havn't had time to play through it yet but it looks good to me.

wiz