Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

The new tune is "Joy Spring"

Have fun and enjoy

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seems pretty straightforward. The A section is just the same harmonic motif repeated in successive ascending half-steps:

| I | ii - V | I | iv - bVII |
    | I | ii - V | I | (ii - V to next key)

The bridge is just a bunch of ii-Vs descending in whole steps.

User Info Menu

Well, here we go again. This link is to a folder containing my "first try" at improvising over "Joy Spring" and the BIAB bebop backing track I made to work with. There is not much theory involved in my approach, mostly just my ear working overtime on this one. Lots of II-V-I's in moving keys in this tune. I am always a little intimidated by "up" versions due to some "lack of confidence" and Arthritis in my left hand that slows me down. I may try this one again after I know it a little better. Please feel free to comment on this improv, all comments are sincerely appreciated and will be reviewed carefully for improving my approach and playing ability.

Joy Spring - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

1) There are 4 choruses and an 8 bar intro
    Intro: || Fmaj7 | Ab9 | G9 | Gb9 |
    |Fmaj7 Ab13 | DbMaj7 |C7b5 ||
    2) The first chorus is me trying to comp with the "realtracks" trio from Biab (piano, bass & drums). The other 3 Choruses are me trying to do some improv.

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice work Wiz. You're playing at 103bpm? The default setting on my BIAB is 170 which seems too fast to me - not just for playing but I think it hurts the groove.

User Info Menu

Hi Howard thanks for posting.It's funny you should say lack of confidence,as to me the comping is fine it just sounds a little uncertian..The improv starts out like that, but as the tune moves on and you do settle into a good improv.Your ears always seem to be able to find there way home..Once again thanks for sharing and being the first one.

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

Banksia: The BIAB backing track tempo is set at 140 and is probably a little slower than the tune would is done by many others.

Tom: The comping is a little hesitant but does represent the way I would approach playing with a trio that includes a piano. I sometimes have a hard time achieving a comfortable groove with BIAB.

FatJeff: I think 160 is a good tempo for Joy Spring but I am not yet comfortable playing it at that tempo. The way I learn unfamiliar songs is to put together a BIAB realtracks version of the song, usually 4 choruses. The first chorus will include the melody with me comping and the other 3 are for improv. I set the tempo low enough to be able to read and play and gradually bring it up to the tempo we use for our gigs.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hey Howie... I also dig your ears... you naturally play what many mechanically try to play. Not to be a knock on anyone... but a compliment on your playing. How old are you man, I'm not trying to be rude, just it's just way cool to see you gettin after tunes... keep it up...best Reg

User Info Menu

Reg: Thanks very much for the compliment on my playing by ear. Asking my age is not rude to me, I am 73 and totally living my dream of playing jazz guitar. As you might guess, I am retired (from the engineering world) and totally dedicated to learning and playing jazz guitar. I have been playing in local clubs (jazz trio) from about 2006. Unfortunately, I was unable to to play when I was still working so I had a 25 year period when I had my guitar in the closet. Now I play every time I have an opportunity. I have a decent music education (G.I.T. 1977-78) and a lot of great memories and friends from that time.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 03-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice job Wiz... It's great that you do this by ear.

Yeah I hear the comping hesitancy you mention... but there are spots where you lock in... I'm sure you just to need to work things out a bit more on this tune.

I like your single line improv. and the hints of the melody. Real nice lines.

Remember that suggestion Reg. made on FMTTM? We each analyzed our own versions. I thought that was a great learning experience. Perhaps after a day or two of responses to your version you could do your own analysis. I liked your idea of moving a line by a minor 3rd if I'm remembering correctly (I've got to go back and review those posts).

I have some health issues which are keeping me from playing much guitar and have me away from my notation software and recording software... But I am enjoying living vicariously off of these threads.

Your guitar spent 25 years in the closet... I can relate as I had a busy career that had my guitar spending about 20 years in the closet. I'm sure glad I'm back at it.
    Last edited by fep; 03-02-2011 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Frank (fep). I really like this thread because it helps me learn new things and totally disproves the saying "you can't teach old dog new tricks". This without question is my favorite and most useful thread. It is fun and forces me to look more carefully at what I am playing. You have a good thought about going back to do some analysis in a couple of days. I will definately give that a try. BTW, Howard Roberts taught me the "up a minor third" trick and it always seems to work for a II-V progression. I hope your health issues will disappear soon so you can continue to enjoy playing your guitar.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 03-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    BTW, Howard Roberts taught me the "up a minor third" trick and it always seems to work for a II-V progression.
    Did you know that this trick is extended to the I of a ii-V-I if you go down a half-step after going up a minor third? (sometimes ends up with a Lydian sound, which can be modified if you want.)

User Info Menu

- beautiful tone

- very melodic solo.

thanks.

User Info Menu

This one seemed like a semi-difficult choice of tunes. Some interesting YouTube versions for your consideration:

Clifford Brown/Max Roach:

Joe Pass (don't miss the double time stuff in the 3:20s - piano solo is nice, too):

User Info Menu

Thanks FatJeff, I totally forgot about resolving down a half-step to the I chord!

wiz

User Info Menu

Hal Crook and Les Wise recommend compressing melodies to tunes into etudes consisting of a long string of 8th notes. That way, after practicing the "etude" after a week, it is much easier to "open up the accordion," as it were, and get the melody in time.

So--here is my take on a "melodic reduction" for Joy Spring. I have been working with it for a little while, and already I find I can remember the head much more easily, and have much better muscle memory for the tune. Perhaps this will be of use to some of us. Hope so.

Tomorrow, I will try to post a "harmonic compression": the equivalent operation on the chords, with the whole tune arranged as 1 beat each chord stabs. (The premise is similar--by the time you have practiced it a bunch, stretching the chords out is much easier, and in theory, remembering the changes should be easier, too).

If I have time, I will also try to post some thoughts on soloing on the tune tomorrow. Maybe even a pass on a couple of choruses.

Great tune!

User Info Menu

Hey wiz, good job on this, you played this by ear that's really cool!

User Info Menu

Meant to note last night that Tom (oilywrag) referenced a pretty true notation of the melody, the way Clifford is playing it. (Thanks, Tom.) The 557 Jazz Standards PDF contains inaccuracies here and there.

User Info Menu

Nice ear playing!! A few sweet lines in there. Good work!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I really love the nylon string version by Jimmy. I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work.

User Info Menu

Me too, gramps! It is (IMHO) a beautiful and sensitive version of Joy Spring with really nice melodic lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    I really love the nylon string version by Jimmy. I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work.
    It's not Jimmy. From the YouTube video description:

Duo DVD - Cesar Camargo Mariano e Romero Lubambo ao vivo no Fasano - Trama canal musica brasileira - brazilian music channel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    It's not Jimmy. From the YouTube video description:
    The Nylon String guitarist is Romero Lubambo from Brazil.

User Info Menu

Thanks sgreb, I was wondering which one was the guitarist, he's awesome. I also love that version.

User Info Menu

Sorry, my error. It's still a great version.