The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Hi All,

Here's my take on the full solo. I've taken some liberties along the way but for the most part I think I played it pretty much as written. For next week, I plan on submitting the head plus the full solo. Cheers, Joe

That was great ! Really smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi All,

Here's my take on the full solo. I've taken some liberties along the way but for the most part I think I played it pretty much as written. For next week, I plan on submitting the head plus the full solo. Cheers, Joe
    Well done. Love that L5! I hope to get the solo finished this week and will join you.

Hi Group,

Well here's my final take on Robert Conti's Ticket To Improve Volume 2, Project 4 (Watch What Happens).

I had never played this tune before this project but grew up listening to the Frank Sinatra version (thanks mom!).

I muddled through the head and took some liberties with the solo (using the first 6 bars from Conti's "Take The A Train" solo). Unfortunately, I did not stick the landing but all in all I'm happy to complete another project.

This marks the end of Ticket To Improve Volume 2. I hope this group continues on to TTI Volume 3 (the blues!).

Regards,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Nice indeed! I'll be putting up my "final draft" this week. I'm also finalizing a 6-week study program in Israel for my students so it's crazy around here, but I plan to have mine up. So.... watch what happens!

User Info Menu

This marks the end of Ticket To Improve Volume 2. I hope this group continues on to TTI Volume 3 (the blues!)
    I'll be there. My plate is full now with work for Jimmy Bruno but some nice blues lines are good to learn.
    Bit the bullet and bought a USB mic, which should make my recordings sound a lot better. (If only it could fix my playing too...)

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Conti's Watch What happens.

I played 3 choruses. First the melody, then Conti's Solo with a few alterations, then my own solo.

The tempo was set at 112. I that it is not a big difference from 112 to 118, however, I find that this song grooved best at 112. Even the Conti seemed to be more discernible at 112 than at 118. The backing track is from an app called Jazz Session.

The melody is pretty straight forward.

With Conti's Solo, I made a few alterations.
    Bars 1 and 2. A slight modification to the rhythm. Bar 1 was played 1 & 2 & 3. Bar 2 was played 1 & 2 & 3 &. Intentionally.
    Bar 9. Instead of starting the phrase on the second beat, I started it on the first beat. This gave me an extra beat at the end of the phrase to shift to the 12th position.
    Bar 17 and 18. I repeat the rhythm used in Bars 1 and 2. I did not like the sixteenth notes.
    A slight fingering modification in Bar 26.

My solo was improvised. I am trying to incorporate some ideas from another book that I am working on by Greg Fishman. It is called "Jazz Phrasing for Guitarists"

Watch What Happens

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A

I played 3 choruses. First the melody, then Conti's Solo with a few alterations, then my own solo.

Watch What Happens
    I enjoyed all 3 choruses Doublea A! Great balance and tone throughout. Way to take the project to another level. Congrats on wrapping up Volume 2.

User Info Menu

Do we have a timetable for Volume 3 yet ?

User Info Menu

The tempo was set at 112. I that it is not a big difference from 112 to 118, however, I find that this song grooved best at 112. Even the Conti seemed to be more discernible at 112 than at 118. The backing track is from an app called Jazz Session.

The melody is pretty straight forward.

With Conti's Solo, I made a few alterations.
    Bars 1 and 2. A slight modification to the rhythm. Bar 1 was played 1 & 2 & 3. Bar 2 was played 1 & 2 & 3 &. Intentionally.
    Bar 9. Instead of starting the phrase on the second beat, I started it on the first beat. This gave me an extra beat at the end of the phrase to shift to the 12th position.
    Bar 17 and 18. I repeat the rhythm used in Bars 1 and 2. I did not like the sixteenth notes.
    A slight fingering modification in Bar 26.

My solo was improvised. I am trying to incorporate some ideas from another book that I am working on by Greg Fishman. It is called "Jazz Phrasing for Guitarists"

Watch What Happens
    really fine! Enjoyed it. I think those of us who've been pursuing this project from the beginning are showing some confidence and growth. Go back and watch those first clips... we've all come what in Kentucky we call a "fur piece" from where we started.

Do we have a timetable for Volume 3 yet ?
    I have created a thread for Volume 3. Please note that Volume 3, Project 1 has two 12 bar solos and 3 sets of chord changes. I've set a schedule that should allow us to learn all 4 parts of the project. Comments and suggestions welcome. Regards, Joe

The Blues! Robert Conti Ticket To Improv Volume 3, Project 1
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 03-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I will create a thread for Volume 3 today. Please note that Volume 3, Project 1 has one 24 bar solo and 3 sets of chord changes. I've set a schedule that should allow us to learn all 4 parts of the project. Comments and suggestions welcome. Regards, Joe
    It's that the blues one? Was gifted it a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    It's that the blues one? Was gifted it a few years ago.
    Hi Matt. Yes, it is the blues one. Should be a hoot.

User Info Menu

Here is my final post on this project. I feel great about playing the head, and the solo is gradually growing on me, though it hasn't been my favorite. I still can't get the last 2 measures to work right, so I just cut off the clip at that point. Imagine the sax player stepping up at that point...

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here is my final post on this project. I feel great about playing the head, and the solo is gradually growing on me, though it hasn't been my favorite. I still can't get the last 2 measures to work right, so I just cut off the clip at that point. Imagine the sax player stepping up at that point...
    Hi Lawson, I enjoyed everything about that performance. It was worth the wait. I'm going to review it a couple more times and see what I can steal (eh, incorporate into my version). I even liked the fade out of the last 2 measures. I mangled the ending in my final take... Congrats on completing Volume 2. See you over at The Blues thread.

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson, I enjoyed everything about that performance. It was worth the wait. I'm going to review it a couple more times and see what I can steal (eh, incorporate into my version). I even liked the fade out of the last 2 measures. I mangled the ending in my final take... Congrats on completing Volume 2. See you over at The Blues thread.
    Thanks! And as you could see, I totally stole--errr--incorporated your modification of m. 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Well done Lawson