Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

David Baker 101 Bebop Era Patterns

Hi,
    In this tread I intend to post videos with the patterns found in the book David Baker "Learning the Bebop Language Vol.2, every five to complete the 101, all on the C major scale.

https://mpcsouza10.wixsite.com/practcingarchives/video

Cheers!
    Maurício Souza

They all sound familiar. I think a lot of players use this book, not just guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    They all sound familiar. I think a lot of players use this book, not just guitarists.

Indeed, I think more non-guitarists than guitarists use it.(No tab! ;o)
    David Baker knew his stuff.
    "You may play your way into a different way of thinking, but you cannot think your way into a different way of playing." Terry Holmes, via Herb Ellis

I think it was Doug Webb the tenor player talking about at one point he played (read) through the entire book everyday. In beginning would take hours and hours over time he got it to where he could play the whole book in an hour. I would bet all that work a lot of those lines remain in your subconscious forever.

There are two series of these books. The earlier one were basically all lines and little text, then Baker did a second series and cut down on the lines and added more explanations.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Sure, the book is in concert key, thought it is the most general to be played in every instrument without making many diferent editions of the same book. For guitarrist, i believe the best is do it in your own position. A great variet of sounds can be taken from the same phrases.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I think it was Doug Webb the tenor player talking about at one point he played (read) through the entire book everyday. In beginning would take hours and hours over time he got it to where he could play the whole book in an hour. I would bet all that work a lot of those lines remain in your subconscious forever.

There are two series of these books. The earlier one were basically all lines and little text, then Baker did a second series and cut down on the lines and added more explanations.
    Way back early 1960s..I remember seeing ads for David Baker books in DownBeat..he was one of the first to get jazz education to the general public..I would read the ads and wonder what the features mentioned were "substitutions..ii7-V7..turnarounds" etc.. around the same timeframe Dr Billy Taylor had the JazzMobile..he would teach jazz to young school kids..he had a TV show on a local station in NYC that i watched as often as I could..it was fascinating watching him explain how jazz works in tunes..one of the factors that brought me to playing music
    play well ...
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    Way back early 1960s..I remember seeing ads for David Baker books in DownBeat..he was one of the first to get jazz education to the general public..I would read the ads and wonder what the features mentioned were "substitutions..ii7-V7..turnarounds" etc.. around the same timeframe Dr Billy Taylor had the JazzMobile..he would teach jazz to young school kids..he had a TV show on a local station in NYC that i watched as often as I could..it was fascinating watching him explain how jazz works in tunes..one of the factors that brought me to playing music
    It was a shame the Jazz Mobile finally stopped a few years ago. FYI they mainly had kids as students, but anyone could participate if they wanted. Today the Jazz Residencies are picking up where the Jazz Mobile left off and clubs and other venues all over the world are hosting residencies my many Jazz musicians. He's a video of Steve Coleman talking about his residencies.

No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

David Bakker Bebop Patterns 6 - 20

Hi,

Three more videos with David Baker patterns from 6 to 20.
    https://mpcsouza10.wixsite.com/practcingarchives/video

Cheers!

This is a smart project Mauricio. Keep it up brother!

Thanks for the thread, Mauricio.

I have always enjoyed hearing music fragments, lines, and patterns. When I hear it, I am normally able to imagine in my mind a complete solo based on their themes. I never could get them into my fingers, but they make nice little ideas to hum while I go through my daily toils and duties.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed