The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I was working on a song with a lot of maj7 chords, and I know the common approaches of using the major, lydian or minor pentatonic scale, but when I use any of these, I don't like anything I play( and when I try to stay away from these, I do some weird chromatic stuff that I also don't like), what are some standards with a lot of maj7 chords that I could transcribe lines from to incorporate into my playing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We All Remember Wes
    Four
    On the Sunny side of the Street
    Lady Be Good

User Info Menu

Pretty much any standard in a major key?

User Info Menu

Also functional or non-functional harmony?

Inner Urge has a lot of major seventh chords, but is non-functional.

User Info Menu

Naima!

User Info Menu

He said No John Coltranes tho

User Info Menu

Bye Bye Blackbird e.g. Miles Davis version.

User Info Menu

I can't think of one that is all major chords.

But, tunes like All of Me and Out of Nowhere have quite a few beats of major chords within them.

One thing that comes to mind is this. For All of Me, starting with 8 beats of Cmaj7 .. sing the Cmajor scale to get the notes in mind and then strum the chords. Scat sing a solo. When you get a line you like, figure it out on the guitar. After that gets boring, try the same thing, but this time with an F# instead of an F. Keep at it until you can hear the sound in your mind and scat sing with it. When that works, congratulate yourself, you just mastered Lydian.

There's an argument that goes, you shouldn't be playing stuff unless you can hear it in your mind. There are counterarguments, certainly, but this strikes me as a reasonable way to try to get those sounds in your playing.

User Info Menu

We all remember Wes has a recurring intro of major7 chords descending in whole tone increments. Starting with Gmaj7 then going to Fma7, Ebmaj7, DbMaj7, BMaj7, Amaj7. So, transcribe some George Benson Riffs!

User Info Menu

Trane's original lead sheet
    Songs with a lot of major chords?-naima-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobby d
    We All Remember Wes
    Four
    On the Sunny side of the Street
    Lady Be Good
    Strange I play Four in Eb and there is only one Major chord, Ebmaj7.

E.g. Ebmaj7, Ebmin9 \ Ab13, Fmin9, Abmin7 \ Db7+9

Ebmaj7, F#min9 \ B13, Fmin9 \ Bb13, (repeat).

(B section end with Gmin7, F#min7, Fmin7, Ebmaj7).

I would recommend Green Dolphin Street.

User Info Menu

One Note Samba has a bunch of major chords. If you don't like the minors, just ignore them til the Major comes back.
    How about some Christmas Carols. Frosty the Snowman, the A section is kinda Major-ey. Don't bother with the bridge.

David

User Info Menu

Happy Birthday is pretty much all majors. Coltrane never played that one I don't think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Strange I play Four in Eb and there is only one Major chord, Ebmaj7.

E.g. Ebmaj7, Ebmin9 \ Ab13, Fmin9, Abmin7 \ Db7+9

Ebmaj7, F#min9 \ B13, Fmin9 \ Bb13, (repeat).

(B section end with Gmin7, F#min7, Fmin7, Ebmaj7).

I would recommend Green Dolphin Street.
    There's also an Abmaj7 according to the real book. In fact the maj7 of Ab is in the melody (bar 5) so I don't know how you came up with Ab13.

User Info Menu

There's also an Abmaj7 according to the real book. In fact the maj7 of Ab is in the melody (bar 5) so I don't know how you came up with Ab13.
    Yeah, this is a mistake I think in the Real Books up to the 5th Edition. It gives the changes:

Ebmaj7 | % | Bb-7 | Eb7 |
    Abmaj7 | % | Abm | Db7 |

More recent Real Books (including I think 6th edition, the Aebersold and New Real Book (sher)) give:

Ebmaj7 | % | Ebm7 | Ab7 |
    Fm7 | % | Ab-7 | Db7 |

So you can see the position of Ab7 is not in bar 5, so that G is a 9th on the Fm7 here.

The 5th edition RB changes are, I think, basically totally wrong (but do fit the melody). As with the FOUR MISSING BARS in Desafinado, it was probably corrected in the errata at the front of the book, but no one ever looked at that lol. It made it a dicey one to call.

Google search gives a quick comparison
    four miles - Google Search
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-25-2017 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

This is the audio reference given by the Real Book. See what you think:

OK just checked 5th Ed RB, the errata gives Eb-7 Ab7 in bars 3 and 4, but doesn't mention the Fm7. I think that chord is a bit easier to hear on the original version of the tune.

User Info Menu

Here is an old tune by steve kuhn, called the real guitarist. All maj chords except last chord.

User Info Menu

Misty has lots of MAJ 7 chords and some MAJ7#4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah, this is a mistake I think in the Real Books up to the 5th Edition. It gives the changes:

Abmaj7 | % | Abm | Db7 |

More recent Real Books (including I think 6th edition, the Aebersold and New Real Book (sher)) give:

Fm7 | % | Ab-7 | Db7 |

So you can see the position of Ab7 is not in bar 5, so that G is a 9th on the Fm7 here.

The 5th edition RB changes are, I think, basically totally wrong (but do fit the melody). As with the FOUR MISSING BARS in Desafinado, it was probably corrected in the errata at the front of the book, but no one ever looked at that lol. It made it a dicey one to call.

So Fmi7 is the relative minor of Abmaj7. I hear the bass playing an Ab on both versions myself. But if the bassist played an F it would still fit just fine. Kind of proves a point that major can be heard as minor sometimes.

User Info Menu

So Fmi7 is the relative minor of Abmaj7. I hear the bass playing an Ab on both versions myself. But if the bassist played an F it would still fit just fine. Kind of proves a point that major can be heard as minor sometimes.
    Yeah I dunno. But most sources are pretty consistent on an Fm7 there, FWIW.

There's obviously a bit of a bass line going on there in the arrangement.

In terms of soloing there's obviously no real difference...

User Info Menu

Abmaj7 | % | Abm | Db7 |

Fm7 | % | Ab-7 | Db7 |

The tune would be so much better with the first version of the changes, and much more memorable too. Just saying... The melody is really catchy, but that second chord progression don't make much sense.

User Info Menu

I was working on a song with a lot of maj7 chords, and I know the common approaches of using the major, lydian or minor pentatonic scale, but when I use any of these, I don't like anything I play( and when I try to stay away from these, I do some weird chromatic stuff that I also don't like)
    No Johns Coltrane, Please do not take it as critics... this is not about you personally

But guys ... is it not what we were talking about in 'CST is the opposit of...' thread?

You see this is how people treat it: lots of major chords.. major, lydian, minor pentatonic...

But what is the song and its form? What are the changes? Are all these maj7 absolutely the same and only transposed up or down? How do they function in a song? How is it organized? What is the original tune? How is this tune related to harmony?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    The tune would be so much better with the first version of the changes, and much more memorable too. Just saying... The melody is really catchy, but that second chord progression don't make much sense.
    well the 1st progression is extremely common

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    No Johns Coltrane, Please do not take it as critics... this is not about you personally

But guys ... is it not what we were talking about in 'CST is the opposit of...' thread?

You see this is how people treat it: lots of major chords.. major, lydian, minor pentatonic...

But what is the song and its form? What are the changes? Are all these maj7 absolutely the same and only transposed up or down? How do they function in a song? How is it organized? What is the original tune? How is this tune related to harmony?
    quite

User Info Menu

quite
    quit