The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    well the 1st progression is extremely common
    That's the point. Common= much easier to memorize. Also, to my ears, it's simply fits the melody better, more organic flow if I may. The 'correct' one, is a bit brain f...k, it's ok, but I have harder time singing the melody while playing it. I realized that's what kept me from memorizing this lovely tune for good for a long time, my ears do not accept this chord change.

I wonder, what are the chances the second one was created out of... 'hey, this sounds great, but the progression is extremely common, let's do something else' thinking.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    That's the point. Common= much easier to memorize. Also, to my ears, it's simply fits the melody better, more organic flow if I may. The 'correct' one, is a bit brain f...k, it's ok, but I have harder time singing the melody while playing it. I realized that's what kept me from memorizing this lovely tune for good for a long time, my ears do not accept this chord change.

I wonder, what are the chances the second one was created out of... 'hey, this sounds great, but the progression is extremely common, let's do something else' thinking.
    Well I can't hear it with those other changes. I listened to Four and More obsessively at one point, and whenever I called the tune at a jam, people would play the real book changes and I found it really horrible.

Anyway, I don't think the second one is that weird. You should see some the shit I have to deal with. :-)

Certainly that move Ebm7 Ab7 Fm is not that common a resolution... You'd expect a Db, Eb or maybe a Bb chord there.

But as with Jobim, often just a touch of weirdness in an otherwise conventional tune is the thing that makes it.

User Info Menu

Actually Tenderly has it:

| Eb | Ab7 | Ebm | Ab7 |
    | Fm7 | Db7 | Eb | etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well I can't hear it with those other changes. I listened to Four and More obsessively at one point, and whenever I called the tune at a jam, people would play the real book changes and I found it really horrible.

Anyway, I don't think the second one is that weird. You should see some the shit I have to deal with. :-)

Certainly that move Ebm7 Ab7 Fm is not that common a resolution... You'd expect a Db, Eb or maybe a Bb chord there.

But as with Jobim, often just a touch of weirdness in an otherwise conventional tune is the thing that makes it.
    I dunno, I guess we hear music different. I love the wrong one better. The correct one is not really weird, just awkward.

Jobim, yes, wouldn't change a note or a chord in any of his tunes, it's a whole different level of tune writing. Miles on the other hand... But the melodic part in Four is awesome, don't care for the rest.

User Info Menu

Possibly Miles didn’t write Four anyway. Some claim it was composed by Eddie Cleanhead Vinson.

User Info Menu

I’ll Remember April starts with four bars of a major chord.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I forget that :

Am7 = Cmaj6
    Am7 = Fmaj9 no root

User Info Menu

One metric crapload of Maj7 in Charles Lloyd's landmark, "Forest Flower"

What a tune! What a band! Amazing to think that all four of them are still with us, and still with it, 50+ years later!