The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 228

User Info Menu

On an academic level...cool.

But to get computer programs which can replace improvisers and other Human functions- I am of course biased against that and openly admit that.

The IrealPro App uses programming but to help the Improviser .. not replace him.

I don't think you will be able to do it for another 20 years sonot too worried...but I don't welcome it to be honest.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    On an academic level...cool.

But to get computer programs which can replace improvisers and other Human functions- I am of course biased against that and openly admit that.

The IrealPro App uses programming but to help the Improviser .. not replace him.

I don't think you will be able to do it for another 20 years sonot too worried...but I don't welcome it to be honest.
    I think our art form is well shielded from such threads due to there being absolutely zero financial incentive to undertake such a project commercially
    If it costs you more than 700$ to develop it, you'll probably lose money regardless of how good the system is in jazz improvisation.

User Info Menu

AI can never actually replace human expression, so as long as humans value human expression in the Arts - provided humans can continue to express something meaningful or compelling- then live performance will always be around, and hopefully valued according to it's quality and rarity.

The problem is, as I see it, that recorded performances (Films, recorded music etc) can be and are being replaced by computerised impostors. 30 years ago I would not have believed that thousands of young hipsters would one day pay half their paycheque to witness some bozo manning a coupla turntables whilst waving his arms around behind a wall of pre recorded sounds with very limited live sonic interaction ( "oh wow, that high pass filter sweep he just did with his left hand was just so amazeballs!"...).

So who knows what it's gonna take to entertain the masses in future? Surely a trapeze artist will always be good for a thrill, visually obvious risk taking should always excite people, but will anyone care how many risks a Jazz guitarist takes on the band stand? How will they know spontaneous risk taking from pre composed playing? It seems amazing that non players had a sense of what was going on in that regard 50 years ago, and we can only hope that future generations will use all that extra leisure time they'll have in pursuit of the appreciation of the high arts.

Because let's face it, Jazz, I mean the good shit, is indeed a High Art, who's realm is inhabited not merely by humans (as opposed to machines), but by super humans, titans, masters of the universe, demigods even! A computer may have beaten Gary Kasparov, but no machine will ever match Wes Mont-fuckin'-gomery! ...

Talking about how the BIAB improviser can be surprisingly convincing I think emphasises a point that I kind of focus on as a musician, whether as an improviser and a composer.

You need to get improvising down to the point where you can do it mechanically without much need to think - chord tones, extensions, neighbouring tones, etc. You can do it, but it might not sound too good - at first.

Once you can do that mechanically, that's where the element of personal taste and the human touch really starts to become more important and the real art starts to come out in my opinion. I guess I'd put it like this - a computer can do the mechanical aspect of improvising surprisingly easily, as the BIAB improviser kind of shows. But so far, and I'm assuming for a decent period of time, it requires a human mind with experience and discernment to make the choices of what to play when that makes a piece really musical - even if every solo is made by combining "licks" or "fragments" or "figures" that have been drilled hundreds and thousands of times before.

Kind of like how writing a speech isn't so much about inventing new words and figures of speech as it is taking pre-existing ones and putting them into a new context.

User Info Menu

I propose a Butlerian Jihad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Talking about how the BIAB improviser can be surprisingly convincing I think emphasises a point that I kind of focus on as a musician, whether as an improviser and a composer.

You need to get improvising down to the point where you can do it mechanically without much need to think - chord tones, extensions, neighbouring tones, etc. You can do it, but it might not sound too good - at first.

Once you can do that mechanically, that's where the element of personal taste and the human touch really starts to become more important and the real art starts to come out in my opinion. I guess I'd put it like this - a computer can do the mechanical aspect of improvising surprisingly easily, as the BIAB improviser kind of shows. But so far, and I'm assuming for a decent period of time, it requires a human mind with experience and discernment to make the choices of what to play when that makes a piece really musical - even if every solo is made by combining "licks" or "fragments" or "figures" that have been drilled hundreds and thousands of times before.

Kind of like how writing a speech isn't so much about inventing new words and figures of speech as it is taking pre-existing ones and putting them into a new context.
    Yeppity yep! Us humans will play a "preprogrammed" bit of material mid solo which will lead to certain spontaneous decisions about what to play next, do we mimic the arc of the line? Invert it? Paraphrase the rhythmic aspect somehow, follow with something more emphatic? Bring down the exuberance a little? etc etc. In other words we interact tastefully and/or emotionally with what we just played, if we're lucky. Machines probably don't do that, and if they ever did, then they're only ever going to closely approximate a human in this regard, just to show it can be done (sort of...).

But let me put it this way, if a robot can be built to stand on a stage and deliver improvised stand up comedy, would anyone laugh? ...

User Info Menu

Punchline

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

punchline

lol

User Info Menu

Punchline
    I don't wanna burst no bubbles but if you captured Charlie Parker's brain's electric signals that controlled his motor functions during his solo on Anthropology, and ran a PCM algorithm to digitize them, it would look not too dissimilar to that.
    If you had high sampling rate, you could even reconstruct the original analog signal with a half decent processor.
    Joking a side, you can train a robot to play sax in the style of Charlie Parker if you used digital format of all his improvisations as training sets. All the jazz listening a human jazz musician can do to train their ear for the style can be achieved in a few nano seconds with a computer. In fact more jazz than a human can listen to in their life time. There is no magic to learning phrasing and dynamics of a musical style by listening, it's the same old statistics. Thinking that improvisation is a "magical" human merit is the same primal tendency that lead humans to think moon was god before they had telescopes.
    I am not saying machine learning is there yet, but theoretical principles are well understood.

User Info Menu

Punchline

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who read binary, and those that don't.

User Info Menu

Nice comment Tal.

Not to mention that a field of AI research in music is focusing on the transcription/digitization process. I think within 10 years we will be able to transcribe any audio into western musical notation (insofar as it is expressive by western musical notation).

User Info Menu

10 years is a very generous timeline it is likely to come much sooner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I don't wanna burst no bubbles but if you captured Charlie Parker's brain's electric signals that controlled his motor functions during his solo on Anthropology, and ran a PCM algorithm to digitize them, it would look not too dissimilar to that.
    If you had high sampling rate, you could even reconstruct the original analog signal with a half decent processor.
    Joking a side, you can train a robot to play sax in the style of Charlie Parker if you used digital format of all his improvisations as training sets. All the jazz listening a human jazz musician can do to train their ear for the style can be achieved in a few nano seconds with a computer. In fact more jazz than a human can listen in their life time. There is no magic to learning phrasing and dynamics of a musical style by listening, it's the same old statistics. Thinking that improvisation is a "magical" human merit is the same primal tendency that lead humans to think moon was god before they had telescopes.
    I am not saying machine learning is there yet, but theoretical principles are well understood.
    I agree, I think... But the other point I was trying to make was that the nuanced spontaneity of the human can't really be mimicked. Let's say you could recreate Lenny Bruce as a robot/hologram, let's say you feed it every joke Lenny ever told. From a distance, this may be every bit as funny as the real thing for a few minutes, until a heckler yells out and the robot has no response, or an unfunny one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I agree, I think... But the other point I was trying to make was that the nuanced spontaneity of the human can't really be mimicked. Let's say you could recreate Lenny Bruce as a robot/hologram, let's say you feed it every joke Lenny ever told. From a distance, this may be every bit as funny as the real thing for a few minutes, until a heckler yells out and the robot has no response, or an unfunny one...
    I don’t think that’s correct. One advantage of recent machine learning techniques is the ability to model not just common behavior but also rare events. It’s a matter of design, but a programmer could incorporate heckler comebacks to the training data.

User Info Menu

For the record, I don’t have a PhD in AI like tal but I have a masters in AI/statistics and I work in the industry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I don’t think that’s correct. One advantage of recent machine learning techniques is the ability to model not just common behavior but also rare events. It’s a matter of design, but a programmer could incorporate heckler comebacks to the training data.
    Maybe, if Lenny Bruce himself was the programmer!

User Info Menu

I don’t see why he would have to be.

User Info Menu

Don't forget that the goal is not to create a statistical model of Charlie Parker's brain in order to "predict" what would his next solo would be if he was alive.
    The goal is for computer to play an improvised solo in a way that a fan of Charlie Parker's can believe that could reasonably be a Charlie Parker solo, ie the Turing test.

User Info Menu

Imagine you told a nuanced joke to a comic robot, what would make it laugh? Presumably, and optimally, everything that has ever been known to make humans laugh in all of history (big programming job right there). But a lot of humour comes from spontaneous nuanced reactions that have never been uttered before in ways never before witnessed. It's beyond Chaos, or Randomness. We're not talking about chess here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who read binary, and those that don't.
    Hahaha

My joke was funnier in hexadecimal

User Info Menu

If I'm belabouring the Comedy analogy, its because the same parameters apply in Jazz. Nuance, spontaneity, interaction, to name just 2 (joke, see?) ....

Look at the jokes on this page: Christian's "1100011" joke. Even my "lol" reply... it's nuanced such that you could not have programmed a computer to have made a subtle response like that in an attempt at humour. Mr B's "There are 10 types of people in the world, those who read binary, and those that don't." ... Would a computer be able to respond with Christian's "Mine's funnier in Hexadecimal"?

Or are our jokes so lame that a robot would wipe the floor with us all?

User Info Menu

Or are our jokes so lame that a robot would wipe the floor with us all?
    Computers have been wiping the floor with the best chess players in the world and laughing at their moves for 20 years now.
    Tell that to Norwegians who consider Mangus Carlsen to be their national hero.
    We seem to be able to distinguish between human achievements and computer achievements and appreciate them differently.

User Info Menu

Princeplanet, I think you're missing a big point. We're not so good at AI today because programmers are writing very complex software to incorporate domain knowledge. We're good at AI because programmers no longer need to do that. The programming is no longer explicit. The last 30 + years of machine learning research have focused on developing modeling frameworks that are adaptable to new problems, such that (this is a gross simplification) a programmer needs only to process observations and pass them through that model architecture. Because of this framework, we don't program rules anymore. Tal was mentioning this, i.e. the dichotomy between rule-based AI and machine learning. In machine learning the programming isn't explicit. You feed a computer observations and it learns the correct response through trial and error, much like pavlovian conditioning. It's this way that we're able to get so nuanced, not because we are able manually to encode nuance.

User Info Menu

Don't forget that the goal is not to create a statistical model of Charlie Parker's brain in order to "predict" what would his next solo would be if he was alive.
    The goal is for computer to play an improvised solo in a way that a fan of Charlie Parker's can believe that could reasonably be a Charlie Parker solo, ie the Turing test.
    Are you also aware of Martin Norgaard's MATLAB analysis of Parker? Conclusion was that 99.3% of his playing was pattern based. Even though you can't trust such dissertations due to programmer bias or ineptitude (unkind word, but you know what I mean...), it seems true that Bird did have his stock patterns and devices. But so what? It was still "spur of the moment" that made him reconnect all the data in mysterious and wonderful ways. Witness the famous "outtakes" sessions- all different- all perfect - all genius...

Bird even told spontaneous "jokes" in his playing, littles cues, snippets or quotes in response to the room (a cute lady walks past) that his band mates were always hip to. Good luck programming that shit into Robot Bird!

User Info Menu

Computers have been wiping the floor with the best chess players in the world and laughing at their moves for 20 years now.
    Tell that to Norwegians who consider Mangus Carlsen to be their national hero.
    We seem to be able to distinguish between human achievements and computer achievements and appreciate them differently.
    My point about Chess was that it is infintely easier to predict than a good Jazz musician's solo. Possible chess moves are finite. Possible Jazz solos, along with all the nuances in their performance, are infinite.

I hope...