The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    In about 5 weeks I am auditioning for jazz guitar at one of the universities here in Melbourne. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice and critique on my playing. I will be playing Tenor Madness and There Will Never Be Another You, I have uploaded a video of some improv over Tenor Madness (there are a few slip ups).

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your playing sounded good. Your rhythm was fine, but maybe articulate the notes a little better. It may have been the volume, but it was difficult to hear what you were playing at times. Also, when you are not playing chords, make sure each note sounds clear and distinct from the next one (I'm not sure if that makes sense). Anyways, it was a lot better than most of the other jazz guitar YT videos.

User Info Menu

The playing seemed really nice, the recording was letting you down.

User Info Menu

Your playing was great. I agree that the recording was not great. What else are they asking for in the audition? Ear training ? Theory ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm nobody when it comes to guitar, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me it seems you have a lot of buzzing? I play nylon strings for the most part and I try to avoid that, dunno how important it is on an electric.

Anyway, here's a workshop by Dominic Miller in which he also describes the importance of sound, how every note is important and the way he is practicing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by der_jk
    I'm nobody when it comes to guitar, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me it seems you have a lot of buzzing? I play nylon strings for the most part and I try to avoid that, dunno how important it is on an electric.

Anyway, here's a workshop by Dominic Miller in which he also describes the importance of sound, how every note is important and the way he is practicing
    What do you mean buzzing? Do you mean the other strings are vibrating even though they are not played? I didn't hear that (although I'm on a laptop). Or do you mean there was a lot of string noise when he picked? If that is the case, I agree, but some of it can be fixed with better sound.

User Info Menu

For some reason the improvisation sounded and looked as though it was memorized. Maybe I got this impression as it seemed ... not sure of the word... let's just say it seemed the opposite of relaxed. Not sure if it matters for the audition but this is how it came across to me.

The note choices, I thought they were good.

User Info Menu

I think you sound pretty good. You're not overplaying, your time is pretty good--you're mostly in the pocket here.

What else will you need to pull off for the audition? I'd give you a shot based on this.

User Info Menu

Good luck man! :-)

User Info Menu

I thought you played fine for a college audition.

Is it in person? You may have to read, play memorized tunes convincingly, and improv on something basic. If that's your incoming freshman improv then I'd say you're doing just fine on improv. Keep it up and don't forget those other skills!

User Info Menu

Does it matter how well you play? Is the program limited in enrollment? Do you want to wow them and welcome the pressure of being placed into one of the more demanding ensembles, or would you be more comfortable working in a group that operates at your current skill level? Truth be told, they don't have high expectations for freshman, just have some basic musical skills, and their job is to work you till you hate music or accept your role as a product of the academic musical assembly line.
    Good luck and have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Does it matter how well you play? Is the program limited in enrollment? Do you want to wow them and welcome the pressure of being placed into one of the more demanding ensembles, or would you be more comfortable working in a group that operates at your current skill level? Truth be told, they don't have high expectations for freshman, just have some basic musical skills, and their job is to work you till you hate music or accept your role as a product of the academic musical assembly line.
    Good luck and have fun.

Lol, a bit cynical today Cosmic.

How should it work? What should they do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Lol, a bit cynical today Cosmic.

How should it work? What should they do?
    At least Australia highly subsidizes this education. But, with my own history with academia and the musicians's union, I know way too many young folks who didn't think out the music degree situation very well before they went and got a $70-100,000 degree that couldn't provide them with a career. They had student loan debt that forced them to say yes to Walmart and such. You're supposed to research your career field BEFORE you invest in it. I'm not bashful about giving out musical reality checks.

User Info Menu

I'm assuming you're going for monash or VCA. Either way I'd say you would get in. the blues is fine, Another you might be a different case depending on how well you can play over the changes. A lot of issues with your playing is in your phrasing and your time. but don't let this affect you, they won't reject you on this. the aural test is easy, the just play some intervals, scales, chords and you identify them. The sightreading is fairly straightforward but it's definitely not a deal breaker. most first year guitarists are terrible readers or can't read at all. and don't get offended if they stop you mid way through a tune, they always do.

User Info Menu

at least australia highly subsidizes this education. But, with my own history with academia and the musicians's union, i know way too many young folks who didn't think out the music degree situation very well before they went and got a $70-100,000 degree that couldn't provide them with a career. They had student loan debt that forced them to say yes to walmart and such. You're supposed to research your career field before you invest in it. I'm not bashful about giving out musical reality checks.
    australia pays for a music education????

User Info Menu

At least Australia highly subsidizes this education. But, with my own history with academia and the musicians's union, I know way too many young folks who didn't think out the music degree situation very well before they went and got a $70-100,000 degree that couldn't provide them with a career. They had student loan debt that forced them to say yes to Walmart and such. You're supposed to research your career field BEFORE you invest in it. I'm not bashful about giving out musical reality checks.
    I hear ya, and I think that's a parents job.

On the cost and resulting debt issue - I think that's a macro problem and I don't blame the educators.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    australia pays for a music education????
    They certainly do not. the government allows students to take out loans up to $100,000 to pay for degrees at public universities. Then when you start making over $50,000 the government starts taking out money to pay back your debt. these are not interest free loans either.

the average debt of an australian graduate is between $20,000-$40,000 depending on the degree. the law and medicine graduates are in the $80,000-$100,000 mark.

An australian grad comes out with $30,000 debt, finds a job paying $45-50,000 a year, gets a $400,000 loan to buy a 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    They certainly do not. the government allows students to take out loans up to $100,000 to pay for degrees at public universities. Then when you start making over $50,000 the government starts taking out money to pay back your debt. these are not interest free loans either.

the average debt of an australian graduate is between $20,000-$40,000 depending on the degree. the law and medicine graduates are in the $80,000-$100,000 mark.

An australian grad comes out with $30,000 debt, finds a job paying $45-50,000 a year, gets a $400,000 loan to buy a 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs.
    I guess I misread Cosmic's quote.

User Info Menu

Don't want to rain on the parade but to Cosmic's point... it is good to know about what happens after school. He talks first about music engineering education, gets to music education later:

User Info Menu

a backup degree isn't really that much of help here. All these people graduating in the service industries has made them oversaturated. look at me I've got an engineering degree!! so do the other 90,000 unemployed. I would say don't bother with racking up more debt. A music degree will get you playing more, practicing more and meeting new people, it's not going to tell you how to make money, but that goes for engineering as well. there's a big disconnect between academia and industry. At least with music degrees (jazz ones at least), most of your teachers are active musicians and actually know what's going on in their scene.

User Info Menu

This went from "what do you guys think about my audition?" to "what are the best college degrees in 2017".

The second topic is widely available in other places, the first isn't.

User Info Menu

Its solid dude, don't worry too much about the audition, just keep playing and practicing.

Do yourself a huge favor when you get into music school - only make friends who are dedicated and practice all the time. Find a buddy to jam with once a week at least. Don't forget to book practice rooms well in advance, or else you'll be stuck munching chocolate with him for 2 hours while you wait for a room. Also just do a shit ton of ear training on your own and see if you can upgrade your course to the more advanced ones in your first year.

Go to the library and read some of the dusty autobiographies or ethnomusicology type books in there. Its actually worth your time.