The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 94 of 94

User Info Menu

As I mentioned previously, I have taught and played "All the things you Are" many, many times. So for my enjoyment (and hopefully for yours) I recorded:

1. A Chord melody of ATTYA with a quote from Autumn Leaves thrown in.
    2. Two choruses of ATTYA. The backing is me playing through a looper.

As always, tell me what you think

Double A ATTYA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    As I mentioned previously, I have taught and played "All the things you Are" many, many times. So for my enjoyment (and hopefully for yours) I recorded:

1. A Chord melody of ATTYA with a quote from Autumn Leaves thrown in.
    2. Two choruses of ATTYA. The backing is me playing through a looper.

As always, tell me what you think

Double A ATTYA
    Very nice!

User Info Menu

Hey, guys.
    Decided on a Fender Mustang I V2 practice amp. Still have the Polytone MiniBrute, so I didn't really need a (classic) jazz amp, though I did want one that would be acceptable for most study group recordings. Rough take---several flubs--but I wanted to get back in the game. Better take should come soon.

Using iRealPro backing track through the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Hey, guys.
    Decided on a Fender Mustang I V2 practice amp. Still have the Polytone MiniBrute, so I didn't really need a (classic) jazz amp, though I did want one that would be acceptable for most study group recordings. Rough take---several flubs--but I wanted to get back in the game. Better take should come soon.

Using iRealPro backing track through the amp.
    yeah, that's what I'd call "Being Back!"

Welcome back, all 36 measures of you!

User Info Menu

Today has been a fun day to stop practicing and just enjoy playing some of the stuff I've been working on. So here's another run at ATTYA head+Conti solo, with a different backing track. Somehow despite some notable clams, this was just fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today has been a fun day to stop practicing and just enjoy playing some of the stuff I've been working on. So here's another run at ATTYA head+Conti solo, with a different backing track. Somehow despite some notable clams, this was just fun.
    Hi Lawson, I've been away from the forum for a week or so dealing with some medical issues. I was happy to find your latest post. Your performance made me smile! At the end of the day, playing this wonderful music should be about enjoyment and having fun. Thanks for the video.

User Info Menu

I have been invested in the Raney group and this group, and it's wonderful; but I plan to take off until the end of January to go back and refresh all the solos I've learned, analyze and study them, internalize what I've been learning. The rest may want to proceed on to the next Conti solo, which is fine with me. But I'm needing a break from the press of learning new stuff every week.

User Info Menu

Do we want to move on to the next piece or do we want to break for a few weeks and resume in February ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Do we want to move on to the next piece or do we want to break for a few weeks and resume in February ?
    I am up for taking a few weeks off around the holidays and resuming in February. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

Sounds reasonable to me.

Just checking, though: the next solo will be "Watch What Happens" from TTI v2, right? I may take a sneak peek ahead, should time permit.

Merry Christmas to all!

User Info Menu

Sounds reasonable to me.

Just checking, though: the next solo will be "Watch What Happens" from TTI v2, right? I may take a sneak peek ahead, should time permit.

Merry Christmas to all!
    Hi Mark -- Yes, the next solo will be "Watch What Happens" from TTI v2. That solo will mark the half-way point in our Conti TTI study group.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Hi Mark -- Yes, the next solo will be "Watch What Happens" from TTI v2. That solo will mark the half-way point in our Conti TTI study group.

I'm going to go back and pick up the things I missed during my hiatus. That should keep me busy and out of trouble. Might as well do "One Note Samba" and then reach back into the solos from Volume One.

User Info Menu

This will also be the first solo in the Conti series that I have no previously known. The other tunes were already in my repertoire, but "What What Happens" will be a new one. There are some very very nice performances of this tune by Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Jimmy Raney, and Joe Pass, so we are right in the jazz guitar sweet-spot! Kessel, Raney and Pass play it as a bossa, but Herb Ellis does it as medium swing tune.

Good learning is helped along by good listening!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This will also be the first solo in the Conti series that I have no previously known. The other tunes were already in my repertoire, but "What What Happens" will be a new one. There are some very very nice performances of this tune by Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Jimmy Raney, and Joe Pass, so we are right in the jazz guitar sweet-spot! Kessel, Raney and Pass play it as a bossa, but Herb Ellis does it as medium swing tune.
    "Watch What Happens" was unfamiliar to me too, Lawson. Googling it, I realized I had heard it before (-Sinatra's vocal version) but the tune doesn't stick strongly in my head yet. I've gone ahead and learned the solo, though. As it's made up of parts of the previous 3 solos in Volume 2, it comes pretty quick.

I don't think I ever learned "Autumn Leaves" from Volume One, so I should go back and pick that up. I think I avoided it because I'm used to playing that tune in Gm, but it really should be known in Em as well. (Like "Green Dolphin Street," it has two common keys.)

User Info Menu

I know it is only January 7 but I am looking forward to resuming our study group in February. I am using the time to pull out and hopefully memorize a bunch of ii-V-I phrases from the first 7 projects. See you all in a few weeks. Cheers. Joe

User Info Menu

I know it is only January 7 but I am looking forward to resuming our study group in February. I am using the time to pull out and hopefully memorize a bunch of ii-V-I phrases from the first 7 projects. See you all in a few weeks. Cheers. Joe
    Me too. I've already learned the "Watch What Happens" solo. I hope to go back to the "One Note Samba" solo, which you guys learned while I was away. Messed around with it some time back, so it's not all new to me. (Volumes 3 and 4 will be all new to me.)

User Info Menu

This is the last day of January (2018). I'm guessing the group officially starts back tomorrow (1 February) on the "Watch What Happens" solo (last solo of TTI, Volume 2), and then we're on to Volumes 3 and 4. Right?

User Info Menu

This is the last day of January (2018). I'm guessing the group officially starts back tomorrow (1 February) on the "Watch What Happens" solo (last solo of TTI, Volume 2), and then we're on to Volumes 3 and 4. Right?
    That is my plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've taken the liberty of creating a new thread for our next project "Watch What Happens". I've used the terrific template created by Lawson. Check it out at:

Watch What Happens-Conti Ticket To Improv

If someone knows how to make the thread "sticky", please have at it.

See you all over at our next project!