The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 94

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-24. Version 1 at 110 bpm. Version 2 at 125

Notes:
    In version 1, I played a triplet to start measure 9 (vs. quarter notes). In version 2, I played measure 9 as written.
    In both versions, for measure 6, beat 4 I opted to play the D on the 3rd string, 12th fret.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice! I noticed you went with the middle position on the pickup selector for the second time through. Bold move!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Nice! I noticed you went with the middle position on the pickup selector for the second time through. Bold move!
    A complete mistake! Good eyes Lawson. Although for comping I do like the middle position.

User Info Menu

Here is my week 3, mm. 1-24. I'm playing really slowly because (a) I couldn't play cleanly at the higher tempos I was seeking to use, and (b) I was struggling with the time and phrasing and slowed way down to figure out the problem, which was... embarrassing. In measure 7 I was leaving out a pair of 8th notes, which threw me off for a beat. So I recorded this slowly to play cleanly and to re-learn these measures with the right phrasing in terms of the chord changes.

Sheesh. This is my Epiphone Elitist Broadway, a wonderful sounding and playing guitar that I likely will be selling to thin the herd and generate some cash for Christmas!

User Info Menu

Here is my week 3, mm. 1-24. I'm playing really slowly because (a) I couldn't play cleanly at the higher tempos I was seeking to use, and (b) I was struggling with the time and phrasing and slowed way down to figure out the problem, which was... embarrassing. In measure 7 I was leaving out a pair of 8th notes, which threw me off for a beat. So I recorded this slowly to play cleanly and to re-learn these measures with the right phrasing in terms of the chord changes.

Sheesh. This is my Epiphone Elitist Broadway, a wonderful sounding and playing guitar that I likely will be selling to thin the herd and generate some cash for Christmas!
    Hi Lawson -- One of the best things about this study group is that we get to share our experiences in working through these projects. I can't tell you how many times I played through this solo at 80 bpm to get the phrasing right. It is good to know I'm not the only one having trouble getting it up to speed. It has more than a few tricky spots. I actually enjoy this solo at slower tempos and I really liked your take. It is very clean and musical. Twelve measures to go! Cheers.
    p.s. Good luck with the sale. That's a great sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

Okay so here's another take, using a "real" (i.e. human) backing track from the Hal Leonard Real Book tracks, which can be tricky to play along with (kind of like some rhythm sections!). I still have trouble feeling "in the pocket" with this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Hi Lawson -- One of the best things about this study group is that we get to share our experiences in working through these projects. I can't tell you how many times I played through this solo at 80 bpm to get the phrasing right. It is good to know I'm not the only one having trouble getting it up to speed. It has more than a few tricky spots. I actually enjoy this solo at slower tempos and I really liked your take. It is very clean and musical. Twelve measures to go! Cheers.
    p.s. Good luck with the sale. That's a great sounding guitar.
    Hey thanks! I have consistently had trouble getting "in the pocket" with the Conti solos. They lay differently over the changes from other solos I've learned, which actually is a good thing because it stretches me. The solos are "easy" from a technical standpoint: not fast, not a lot of stretching; but "hard" from a "feel" standpoint for me. So I get to work on time and phrasing more, which are weak points for me.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on the full solo (36 bars) at 125 bps. I have to admit this project took some work.

The first version is with my Gibson 1996 L5 CES and the second one is with my "new" Gibson 1957 ES-175 (recently purchased from a forum member).

Notes:
    - Measure 6: I play the "G" note on the 3rd string, 12th fret rather than as written (2nd string, 8th fret)
    - Measures 24-25: I play these at frets 3-6. rather than at frets 8-11 as my L5 tends to sound muddy when I played them on the 5th (A) and 6th (E) strings as written.

I'm glad to have another Robert Conti project in the books. Looking forward to our final project of Ticket To Improve, Volume 2.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Here is my late submission to All The Things you are. Bars 1 - 16

Bars 1- 16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Hi guys,

Here is my late submission to All The Things you are. Bars 1 - 16
    Spot on Doublea A! Clean and with a nice tone.

User Info Menu

Hi folks -- enjoying this activity mostly, I've needed an excuse to work on this solo. While I'm working through it, I find two things: first I don't like the solo (!) as it does not sound very musical to me so my natural tendency is to morph it a little to suit my ears, and second, I have a hard time relating the lines in it to the underlying chords. It's quite difficult for me to hear and extract ii-V-I lines here that I can imagine using on other songs. Am sure they can be, but it's probably related to my first reaction -- these lines seem sort of lifeless to me. So when playing the solo, I don't 'hear' the chord changes very easily and if I stop to think 'what chord am I on now?', I have to check the tab. Is this just a 'learning' stage that passes (most of you here seem to be nailing this one pretty quickly).

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    Hi folks -- enjoying this activity mostly, I've needed an excuse to work on this solo. While I'm working through it, I find two things: first I don't like the solo (!) as it does not sound very musical to me so my natural tendency is to morph it a little to suit my ears, and second, I have a hard time relating the lines in it to the underlying chords. It's quite difficult for me to hear and extract ii-V-I lines here that I can imagine using on other songs. Am sure they can be, but it's probably related to my first reaction -- these lines seem sort of lifeless to me. So when playing the solo, I don't 'hear' the chord changes very easily and if I stop to think 'what chord am I on now?', I have to check the tab. Is this just a 'learning' stage that passes (most of you here seem to be nailing this one pretty quickly).

thanks
    You could post a clip of yourself playing the solo to illustrate how you'd like to morph it. I have had trouble with it too, and would love to hear your approach. We are, after all, first and foremost, a playing study group. So post a take and show some of the things you do differently. We all make our own changes--check out the old thread on "Autumn Leaves" and you'll see some wide variations.

User Info Menu

You could post a clip of yourself playing the solo to illustrate how you'd like to morph it. I have had trouble with it too, and would love to hear your approach. We are, after all, first and foremost, a playing study group. So post a take and show some of the things you do differently. We all make our own changes--check out the old thread on "Autumn Leaves" and you'll see some wide variations.
    Yeah, I think I took a few bars and messed with that one.

The phrasing on the Conti stuff is really square and corny...but the nuts and bolts are there...

I do think that's the most useful exercise to do with these things...and I think it's what Bob suggests, isn't it?

User Info Menu

thanks
    Hi odel,

Welcome to our study group! I'm sure Mr. Conti would have no problem with you morphing his lines. As we close in on completing Volume 2, I am becoming more comfortable with Conti's methodolgy. The TTI series is his entry level improv course, so I imagine he needs to keep the degree of difficult to a reasonable level. Practicing these solos has really helped my technique (lots of arpeggios and chromatic lines).

Lastly, I certainly didn't "nail this one pretty quickly." It took a lot of work to get it reasonably under my fingers. At my age, everything seems to take a lot of effort!

User Info Menu

thanks
    One thing actually that I'm getting from this bears directly on the "what chord am I on" question. I am trying to stop thinking that way, but think instead of the tune's harmony as a kind of highway or pathway. My phrasing is getting more linear, thinking more of 4 measure sections rather than specific changes. Also, Conti is mixing it up by showing how often the identical run, in terms of fingering, can be used over lots of different harmonic contexts. He keeps the solos within a very small set of melodic formulas that get used in varying ways, and with varying rhythmic expressions. At first I found that somewhat irritating, but now I'm enjoying seeing the many different ways he will "deploy" the same melodic phrase.

So patience has proven helpful at least to me. And yes, we all do change up the solos rather freely, which is what Conti repeatedly says on the video lessons we need to be doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The phrasing on the Conti stuff is really square and corny

By a stroke of luck, I had the good fortune of seeing Conti performing at NAMM a few years ago. In the midst of the crowd, there were some major players I heard raving about his skill.

Several months later, I saw him again in Las Vegas. To my surprise, he remembered me from NAMM, and graciously invited me to join him and a few of his A-List musician friends for cocktails. To say the least, I learned quite a bit about the music business.

I don't post often but follow topics of interest like the progress of this study group. Over the last few years, I've seen where you made several derogatory, unwarranted, and frankly offensive comments against Robert. Although I'm not at their level, along with the gentlemen in this study group (Los Altos, Lawson, Double A) I am a fan of Conti's learning materials.

Mr. Beaumont, I was unable to find any career data on you - no albums and no press. My job travel allows me to see many pro players. In conversation, I've not heard any pro make such negative comments. So I have one question for you. Unless you have an egotistical need to denigrate a successful musician, what authority, skill, or accomplishments in the music industry allow you to make such a callous comment?

User Info Menu

thanks all-- definitely not complaining or criticizing Conti, he's a monster player, without doubt. My comment was just that the solo sort of seems sort of flat and mechanical to my ears (but definitely not to my fingers, it's a challenge to get it down). I tried recording a video, which was an object lesson in itself (just how many takes did you guys do to get one that's passable?). Can't quite figure how to load it here though (yeah, newbie problems, I know -- but do I have to upload to a third party site first to be able to link it in or can I just plop it here somehow?)

Interesting point Lawson about not thinking chords or changes, but thinking 'tune'. I sort of get it but still resort to extracting everything as a ii-V-I where I can since that's how I was first told how to 'hear' lines. When I think of ATTYA as a tune, I hear the melody and want to play around with that, but I guess I'm struggling to wrap the lines around chords. So I can 'see' some parts where the line fits the chord (e.g., the opening Fm7 or the Cm7 in bar 9) but get quite lost thinking of say the opening extended line as a vi-ii-V-1 in Ab. I think I am hearing you say 'not to worry', just get the lines down and move on...am trying. I suppose this is symptomatic of much about learning jazz, not just this lesson.

Anyway, you're all inspiring me to keep going...hope this one does not end before I can get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB
    By a stroke of luck, I had the good fortune of seeing Conti performing at NAMM a few years ago. In the midst of the crowd, there were some major players I heard raving about his skill.

Several months later, I saw him again in Las Vegas. To my surprise, he remembered me from NAMM, and graciously invited me to join him and a few of his A-List musician friends for cocktails. To say the least, I learned quite a bit about the music business.

I don't post often but follow topics of interest like the progress of this study group. Over the last few years, I've seen where you made several derogatory, unwarranted, and frankly offensive comments against Robert. Although I'm not at their level, along with the gentlemen in this study group (Los Altos, Lawson, Double A) I am a fan of Conti's learning materials.

Mr. Beaumont, I was unable to find any career data on you - no albums and no press. My job travel allows me to see many pro players. In conversation, I've not heard any pro make such negative comments. So I have one question for you. Unless you have an egotistical need to denigrate a successful musician, what authority, skill, or accomplishments in the music industry allow you to make such a callous comment?
    Ok. To be fair, the Ticket to Improv series is designed to be entry-level. Robert Conti wouldn't say that hipness is their purpose either. I seem to remember hearing that he basically was trying to slow himself down purposefully - like, I think he records them at a really blazing tempo to limit things to mostly 8ths and then transcribes it and teaches it back "normal" tempo. This may be me remembering completely wrong or remembering a story about someone else etc.

They aren't super hip, but that's not really the point. He has other videos on a more advanced level, but regardless, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mr. B's a great player and a super generous long-time member. Get to know him.

Anyway, I have vol. 3 of TTI at home from a few years back I think. Is that the blues one? I'd be willing to join in if I can find it.

User Info Menu

I tried recording a video, which was an object lesson in itself (just how many takes did you guys do to get one that's passable?). Can't quite figure how to load it here though (yeah, newbie problems, I know -- but do I have to upload to a third party site first to be able to link it in or can I just plop it here somehow?)
    Well! Before this study group I had never recorded myself and never posted a video. So I feel your pain. I ended up buying a Logitech webcam and use some old Windows XP software (Windows Movie Maker) and my daughter's Blue USB microphone. I then upload my videos to YouTube (marked as "unlisted").

Just how many takes did you guys do to get one that's passable?.
    Many...many...takes...

Anyway, you're all inspiring me to keep going...hope this one does not end before I can get a grip.
    I'm not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to studying with you.

User Info Menu

thanks all-- definitely not complaining or criticizing Conti, he's a monster player, without doubt. My comment was just that the solo sort of seems sort of flat and mechanical to my ears (but definitely not to my fingers, it's a challenge to get it down). I tried recording a video, which was an object lesson in itself (just how many takes did you guys do to get one that's passable?). Can't quite figure how to load it here though (yeah, newbie problems, I know -- but do I have to upload to a third party site first to be able to link it in or can I just plop it here somehow?)

Interesting point Lawson about not thinking chords or changes, but thinking 'tune'. I sort of get it but still resort to extracting everything as a ii-V-I where I can since that's how I was first told how to 'hear' lines. When I think of ATTYA as a tune, I hear the melody and want to play around with that, but I guess I'm struggling to wrap the lines around chords. So I can 'see' some parts where the line fits the chord (e.g., the opening Fm7 or the Cm7 in bar 9) but get quite lost thinking of say the opening extended line as a vi-ii-V-1 in Ab. I think I am hearing you say 'not to worry', just get the lines down and move on...am trying. I suppose this is symptomatic of much about learning jazz, not just this lesson.

hey this group has dwindled down so small we are delighted at anyone who jumps in to play along with us! Glad you're aboard. We do try to make the centerpiece of this the posting of actual clips of us playing portions of the solo, however elementary and basic our take might be. So feel free to drop a clip so you'll have an oar in the water with us!

We can always use another person playing the solo and putting up the clips to contribute to the conversation!

User Info Menu

the mechanics of doing a clip can seem overwhelming, but doesn't need to be. Some of us just use a smartphone to record the video--set it up on a desktop or bookshelf, hit "record" and play. Others do a bit more. I've found it easiest to upload to YouTube, and then use the video link tool in the message window on this site to post the link. It's the icon at the top with what looks like a movie-film clip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB

I can only speak for myself, but you should not be surprised if your just showing up and dropping a bomb on Mr. B. is not at all welcome. This gentleman is a good player, a good educator, and someone who posts clips of his own playing, whether at his best or as he is learning something new, and participates in the give and take of dialogue here with insight and maturity. He is simply giving his own impression of the solos and of the material we are studying through. He has participated in our conversations on and off the whole time we've worked on this material and has been quite helpful.

My own view is that if you don't want to do the work, post the clips, and be part of the conversation, your certainly have the "right" to post your remarks here, but you do not have the right to expect anyone to respect them.

User Info Menu

thanks
    Hi there,

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Conti but I get the impression through this video series that he is the type of person that likes to puts as much as he can into everything he does. His solos reflect his personality. He puts so many great ideas into his solos that they sometimes lose their musicality. If you are new to this material, I can tell you from my experience that it takes a little time to get "into" this style. It is sort of like walking into a small room with 267 guitars. It feels like, "here's a great idea, and here is another, and another, or and here is another one". I find it helpful to first try a 4 or 8 bar sequence on my own, then I watch the video description, then I return to the practice room.

I know that these are rather simple solos comparatively speaking to others out there, however, I believe that you can always learn something from accredited teachers. I have been playing professionally for over 30 years and I have been teaching Jazz Guitar for 25 years, I still find that there is something that you can learn from new approaches. That is what led me to these study groups. I find that being in a group like this makes you accountable and gives your practice a definitive direction. I try to combine these Conti solos with other methods as a way of comparing approaches to Jazz Standards.

I would say try a couple of the Conti solos, maybe even goo back to Volume 1 and see if this method will work for you. If you think that it is helpful in any way stick with it. This is a great group of guys to "hang" with !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, I think I took a few bars and messed with that one.

The phrasing on the Conti stuff is really square and corny...but the nuts and bolts are there...

I do think that's the most useful exercise to do with these things...and I think it's what Bob suggests, isn't it?
    I do find that the Conti phrasing is the most disappointing aspect of these solos. I agree that it is "square and corny". I think that it is the by-product of Conti's method of trying to stuff so much "stuff" into 32 bars that leaves the phrasing a little lacking in creativity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Well! Before this study group I had never recorded myself and never posted a video. So I feel your pain. I ended up buying a Logitech webcam and use some old Windows XP software (Windows Movie Maker) and my daughter's Blue USB microphone. I then upload my videos to YouTube (marked as "unlisted").

Many...many...takes...

I'm not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to studying with you.
    Once I have perfected a section, I record 3 or 4 times and I post the best take.
    I sometimes get it in one sitting, but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 days.
    You need to enjoy the process !!