The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 104 of 104
    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I've enjoyed the thread.

On the one hand,I think that to reduce language to a set of patterns is to trivialise it. On the other, I find that what works in theory only works in practice if its message lands home.

I think that, in 'jazz', hitting below the belt ought to be de rigueur.
    Agreed, and is the reason why, say, Coltrane used patterns to such devastating effect - it still sounds visceral.

BTW, who is a jazz guitar player in your opinion that did the Tyner quartal/pentatonic thing well in that style?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Agreed, and is the reason why, say, Coltrane used patterns to such devastating effect - it still sounds visceral.

BTW, who is a jazz guitar player in your opinion that did the Tyner quartal/pentatonic thing well in that style?
    I really wouldn't know because I haven't listened widely, but simple (?) repetition of ascending sol-la-re from Grant Green is more than enough to float my boat.

User Info Menu

This thread made me think about that Nutcracker theme - Pas de Deux. Ionian scale coming down as plain as it is, has a very slight rhythmic tension and voila, you got a great tune. Later with aeolian - even better. It's just something so chilling to see that you can use so simple idea to make something terrific happen. Jazz language tends to be so complex from start. I guess, it doesn't have to be. It's all about the ideas imo, not so much about the language itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet

I bought Jimmy Smith's "The Boss" when it finally got a CD release for George Benson's contributions (a few great tracks from that album had surfaced on compilations over the years) but what really knocked me out was the one tune featuring Nathan Page. There weren't many players getting into quartals and altered pentatonics back in 1968 but the unsung Page sounds very comfortable here (forward to 6'20"):