The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Half note triplet comping: four against three and three against four; one bass note against a three note chord, first, four chords versus three bass notes; then four bass notes against three chords, and then back again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very brief improv using the half note triplet concept: three against four and four against three, bass against the soprano . Yes the B-flat note on the sixth string requires a fret leveling . Yikes

User Info Menu

I've missed all of this...

I think a very authentic jazz rhythm is perhaps not the straight quarter triplet, but in fact the quarter triplet starting on beat 2 or 4, or the second triplet of beats 1 and 3 (Kresiberg teaches students to swap back and forth between them).

This aligns with:

The classic 2 and 4 tension beats...
    Charleston
    Ride Pattern
    Bembe clave
    Both Cuban Claves
    The Conga rhythm often used in 60s Blue Note Records

It's very cool

Half Note triplet is a little more latent in jazz, simply because unlike West African music, the 4/4 and 2/2 beat has primacy - but it's in there....
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-15-2017 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I've missed all of this...

I think a very authentic jazz rhythm is perhaps not the straight quarter triplet, but in fact the quarter triplet starting on beat 2 or 4, or the second triplet of beats 1 and 3 (Kresiberg teaches students to swap back and forth between them).

This aligns with:

The classic 2 and 4 tension beats...
    Charleston
    Ride Pattern
    Bembe clave
    Both Cuban Claves
    The Conga rhythm often used in 60s Blue Note Records

It's very cool

Half Note triplet is a little more latent in jazz, simply because unlike West African music, the 4/4 and 2/2 beat has primacy - but it's in there....
    I may have asked you this before, but how do you compare Longo's and JK's approaches?

I love the half note triplet, and worked a ton on it--it all started from DVD 2 of Longo's series, where he taught the quarter note triplet and half note triplet to those three students. The interesting thing is that Longo taught the quarter note triplet in order to teach the half note triplet, which was his primary goal.

I have not seen JK's videos (and given that I have now immersed myself in Barry Harris' 8 DVDs, will not get there in some time), but I did talk to him about the quarter note triplet when he came here to give a series of master classes.

JK was absolutely adamant that you have to feel it in 4 and has a specific way of counting it out (one-trip-let method I noted above). That way, the feel is locked in. Longo seems like it doesn't matter, either way, you can feel in four or six.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I may have asked you this before, but how do you compare Longo's and JK's approaches?
    There's a lot of overlap. I got the displaced quarter triplet idea from Larry Koonse although JK also suggests you practice it.

JK is a lot more practical and material oriented. Longo seems interested in connecting you with a rhythmic flow and a wider well of musicla intuition. YMMV. I haven't practiced Longo's stuff for a while.

(BTW The big advances in my time/feel recently have come from samba and upbeats, playing percussion and being told off for having lazy upbeats when playing Cavaquinho. Nothing to do with triplets directly .... but really it's a constant experience of revisiting rhythms and getting deeper and more specific about them.)

Personally, I know whose feel I prefer, but a player's feel is governed by many elements and not merely what they teach.

And some players, irritating though it is, are just rhythmic naturals. (I am not.) I have taught some myself. It's humbling.

So just because someone swings like a barn door doesn't mean they have any idea how to teach it. In Longo/Dizzy's case - well this is interesting no? Dizzy was very interested in rhythm.

I love the half note triplet, and worked a ton on it--it all started from DVD 2 of Longo's series, where he taught the quarter note triplet and half note triplet to those three students. The interesting thing is that Longo taught the quarter note triplet in order to teach the half note triplet, which was his primary goal.

I have not seen JK's videos (and given that I have now immersed myself in Barry Harris' 8 DVDs, will not get there in some time), but I did talk to him about the quarter note triplet when he came here to give a series of master classes.

JK was absolutely adamant that you have to feel it in 4 and has a specific way of counting it out (one-trip-let method I noted above). That way, the feel is locked in. Longo seems like it doesn't matter, either way, you can feel in four or six.
    Dunno, you have to draw your own conclusions. FWIW I feel JK is just much more nuts and bolts. The thing about jazz education is there is no right or wrong really. Barry Harris would contradict JK's suggestion you tap your foot on 2 and 4 for instance. But Emily tapped on 2 and 4 and could swing like a MF. Ron Carter I think too. *shrugs*

There is no effective established pedagogy about this stuff (although Longo is trying to develop one) precisely because it was not learned in a practice room or classroom by the masters... Even Barry Harris glosses over it a little - although his advice - learn where the ands are, and triplets rule the world - is basically what I have been looking at for 5 years.

My advice - FWIW - is keep trying different stuff. Develop rhythmic independence, and refine your ear and sensibility. Physicalise rhythm in different ways and don't get too obsessed with the metronome.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey NSJ - I editted and expanded my post. It's a complex topic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

(BTW The big advances in my time/feel recently have come from samba and upbeats, playing percussion and being told off for having lazy upbeats when playing Cavaquinho. Nothing to do with triplets directly .... but really it's a constant experience of revisiting rhythms and getting deeper and more specific about them)

And some players, irritating though it is, are just rhythmic naturals. (I am not.) I have taught some myself. It's humbling.
    me too man. I have so much work to do on this area. It's all about the "ands".

Displacing a rhythm that originally started on the downbeat and putting it such that it starts on an upbeat is really hard for me.

User Info Menu

Displacing a rhythm that originally started on the downbeat and putting it such that it starts on an upbeat is really hard for me.
    Then that is an excellent thing to practice for 5m a day.

User Info Menu

Barry said to tap on the one and the three, because the two and the four are so important they should be already ingrained in your heart

User Info Menu

Barry said to tap on the one and the three, because the two and the four are so important they should be already ingrained in your heart
    I've heard him say it a few ways - 1 and 3 is lower body, 2 and 4 is upper body. Or '1 and 3 is to keep the devil away.'

Swing dancers get this actually.

Hobbyist ramblings below.

Some of this is pretty rough, but I couldn't get my thing to work today. Ended up just doing the webcam. Wanders a bit. Sorry. For some of what I'm doing in this video, I explained it more in another take and then forgot to add it into this one. Anyway, most of these triplet patterns I'm playing are of the "2nd 8th note triplet" variety that you guys are talking about. I learned to play it basically with fingers, but - with a pick - for me, it basically started as a ghost note on the downbeat. That makes it pretty easy with a straight physical reference like alternate picking or fingers. It's easier to aim for something on 1 than to aim for something "not on 1". At least for me....

I need to check out the Mike Longo material. Which product is the starting point?
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 09-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Hobbyist ramblings below.

Some of this is pretty rough, but I couldn't get my thing to work today. Ended up just doing the webcam. Wanders a bit. Sorry. For some of what I'm doing in this video, I explained it more in another take and then forgot to add it into this one. Anyway, most of these triplet patterns I'm playing are of the "2nd 8th note triplet" variety that you guys are talking about. I learned to play it basically with fingers, but - with a pick - for me, it basically started as a ghost note on the downbeat. That makes it pretty easy with a straight physical reference like alternate picking or fingers. It's easier to aim for something on 1 than to aim for something "not on 1". At least for me....

I need to check out the Mike Longo material. Which product is the starting point?
    Hes got 3 DVDs the crux of it is DVD 2, where he interacts one on one with students on all kinds of instruments I haven't seen the third one . The first two are well worth getting. As well as his little book on improvising a melodic line .

preview

User Info Menu

My instructor is always trying to get me to start and end way more phrases on the and. Something I'm working on. I've been working from a pdf 'Getting in Time' for the last 3 weeks and it's helped immensely.

User Info Menu

I'm stuck at work til Midnight (!) so I conceive music in my mind and tap it out on the table, staring at a computer screen.

I wonder if this is familiar?

Quarter note triplet + 8th Note triplet + 2 8th notes?

Split the bar into two two beat phrases:

1st phrase: Duh-du-ga-da (quarter note triplet)
    2nd phrase: ta-ki-ta + ta-ka

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Very cool. What specifically are the names of the products you're talking about?
    Here is the link to Mile Longo's site. http://store.fastcommerce.com/jazzbe...d556127-c.html

Both Mike Longo CDs on this page, To My Surprise and Step On It, come with the extra CD for the drumming rhythms that go with his dvd series on the Rhythmic Nature Of Jazz. Great series. I have Series I, II and III of the dvds but haven't listened yet to III yet which is actually a download instead of a dvd. Great material. Would be awesome to use in group but haven't been in a combo since I went to Abersold last summer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall
    Here is the link to Mile Longo's site. Jazz Education

Both Mike Longo CDs on this page, To My Surprise and Step On It, come with the extra CD for the drumming rhythms that go with his dvd series on the Rhythmic Nature Of Jazz. Great series. I have Series I, II and III of the dvds but haven't listened yet to III yet which is actually a download instead of a dvd. Great material. Would be awesome to use in group but haven't been in a combo since I went to Abersold last summer.

Don't see any link to DVD 3 content.

User Info Menu

Here is the link to the main page
    The CDs I gave links to may just be for Volume II and III as Volume I is the introduction video.

Jazzbeat Home

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Anyone feel like recording some video of how they utilize 6 against 4 in the context of, say, practicing lines or comping? I hear rhythms in jazz as being quite a bit more complicated than how they're generally transcribed, and I appreciate the discussions and important of subdivisions, quarter and eighth note triplets, but so far haven't found a way of working them into my playing in a more meaningful way.

Are we talking about things like, say, playing swing eighths that sound behind the beat because they are actually starting on the 2 of an eighth note triplet? Or even on perhaps the 1-and of an eighth note triplet?
    Thought about this question yesterday and wondered if I'd really addressed it properly. To your last couple of questions, I'd view using triplets to phrase behind/ahead is really the whole point of them. Anyway, I tried to play a mostly "behind" chorus of this tune using triplets. Maybe it makes some sense. I did another one more on process and how I learned to hear them some. (I'm still working on all of this.) This is in the context of chord melody or solo playing, but you can apply similar to non-CM as well. It would be cool to discuss that aspect if you're interested (or not interested in the CM part). Incidentally, the 2nd chorus of the first vid is just my cheesy comping using this feel, but it's probably a little more straight ahead and easier to hear, re. the triplet patterns etc.

I'm just a student of this stuff myself, but I'm happy to answer questions on my thoughts etc. Thanks.
    [EDIT: At 3:26 of the 2nd one, I should have said "Quarter note triplets" instead of dotted quarter notes. Youtube has apparently 86'd annotations. So, I can't correct it on-screen.]

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Hes got 3 DVDs the crux of it is DVD 2, where he interacts one on one with students on all kinds of instruments I haven't seen the third one . The first two are well worth getting. As well as his little book on improvising a melodic line .

preview

I hear this and get it BUT can someone point out an example of Dizzy and or Parker playing Polyrhythmically ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    I hear this and get it BUT can someone point out an example of Dizzy and or Parker playing Polyrhythmically ?
    Here's a couple of examples to get your started:
    Charlie Parker discography - Wikipedia

List of works by Dizzy Gillespie - Wikipedia

More seriously, swing feel itself is polyrhythmic. Basic jazz swing feel can be understood as a 12/8, with upbeats generally - but not always - occurring on the 3rd 8th of each beat. As there are different ways of grouping this 12/8 we have quite a lot of freedom already. 4/4 is prevalent, but we also have 6/4 and 3/2 groupings, and in the case of Bembe, the ride cymbal beat, the swing conga rhythm, the charleston and the clave, the displaced 6/8 starting on the 2nd 8th of the bar.

This is a West African concept of time layered over 4/4 or 2/2. A mixture of the European march beat and West African drumming traditions.

That's why I found the hand drum exercises so useful. It gets you out of thinking over 4/4 all the time.

As you yourself have mentioned you also have straight upbeat phrasing against that, so we can think of 16/16 and 8/8 being superimposed on top of that basic matrix - double time or straight upbeats.

And that's just for starters.

So all jazz musicians play poly-rhythmically. In fact Charlie Parker was just particularly adventurous in his use of rhythm. Check out this article for more info:

THE DOZENS: STEVE COLEMAN ON CHARLIE PARKER (edited by Ted Panken & Steve Coleman) | Steve Coleman

So often I think people are looking for examples of polyrhythmic playing in jazz that are more overt, with hard accents like maybe you would see classical music. Growing up in school, you basically learn to play syncopation with the accents which are implied by the syncopation, and that's appropriate in most Western styles.

But in Jazz , you hear a lot of phrasing 2 against 3 where the accents are basically the same as they "would have been" in normal duple phrasing. That's what really typifies the sound of "playing ahead". If the cross rhythm was explicitly accented , it would sound like more classical syncopation, as opposed to playing ahead/behind.

User Info Menu

Good point.

User Info Menu

I already Swing now but do it by feel....and tuplets are in my lines- it is natural for me to do.

I just never thought of them as Polyrhythms though..

On the Video where Longo was Playing in 5/4 and 7/4 against the other Player- I thought that was really cool but I do NOT hear that in Gillespie or Parker....

IF that video was longer I should be able to play Rhythm Guitar over it in 6/8 AND in 5/ 4 and get 2 completely different 'feels' from the Backbeats.

( a great exercise for a Composer who thinks he's Rhythmic - lol -IMO )

I have experimented with 5/4 or 7/4 Rhythm Guitar Parts in
    4/4 but those are Polymetric and Polyrhythmic ...right?

When Rhythms go over the Bar Line but Sync on the
    1 every 4 bars or 7 bars- those are technically Polyrhythmic and Polymetric ...where 6 against 4
    12-8 as in Jazz Swing usually resolve within the Bar ( or are in continuous Sync ) so are Polyrhythmic
    but not Polymetric ?

Sorry for redundant examples..

Or is Longo engaging in abstracts to explain a 'feel' ?

I guess I always thought of over the Bar lines Patterns as being Polyrhythmic - I don't hear that in early BeBop...

I hear it when I copy some of Brecker's quintuplets and other tuplets ...which go over the Bar Lines and eventually 'Sync' on the 1 .

Longo should have played 6/8 and 4/4 and 12/ 8 over 4/4 ..

Just an odd note grouping here and there does not mean Charlie Parker or Dizzy were playing 7/4 or 5/4
    against 6/8 does it ?

@Christian- I can hear 12/8 and 4/4 simultaneously - if I hear it correctly - it would be a good way to get Classical Musicians to Swing...have them Play in 12/8 and then Count in 4/4 ...then Play in 4/4 ...?

Am I getting your Point ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-07-2017 at 01:01 PM.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't think they're talking about imposing something over an entire tune or over a great many bars of music necessarily. That's more theoretical practice type stuff I would think.

There are some snippets as well. Charleston or quartets note triplets are pieces of polyrhythms. Beyond all of that, there's an implied poly metric ground rhythm, clave etc. which can be implied by multiple elements at once. Melody very often implies rhythm which isn't overtly accented.

User Info Menu

The example Mike Longo gives of the hidden five in Gillespies playing is the first track of the album he did with Basie - the Gifted Ones.

YMMV - to me hidden five sounds related to the displaced 6/8 Bembe triplet