The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Here is a really nice lesson from Dirk Laukens on There Will Never Be Another You.

There Will Never Be Another You (For Guitar)

Now back to learning the Conti solo!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There Will Never Be Another You
    Improvisation Bars 1-16

Here is my take on measures 1-16.

Mike

User Info Menu

So today I made it through the whole thing at a pretty good tempo, but still with a few clams and the time for measures 23-24 drives me a little crazy. Something about m. 24 just doesn't feel right. Anyhow, for your delectation, here is the solo at about 130, using the Hal Leonard RealBook backing track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So today I made it through the whole thing at a pretty good tempo, but still with a few clams and the time for measures 23-24 drives me a little crazy. Something about m. 24 just doesn't feel right. Anyhow, for your delectation, here is the solo at about 130, using the Hal Leonard RealBook backing track.
    Well played Lawson! Getting the solo up to 130 bpm and not feeling rushed is good stuff. At about 120 is where the wheels come off for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Well played Lawson! Getting the solo up to 130 bpm and not feeling rushed is good stuff. At about 120 is where the wheels come off for me.
    I actually don't think this tune should be played much faster than 130-140, though I know many players like it really up-tempo. Since I know the words and all, I like to try to evoke the performance, and the really hot tempos seem to just use the chord progression. That's okay, it's just not my preference. So I think 120-140 is just fine as a tempo.
    I still have a hard time getting the connections between the phrases. This solo has seemed to me to be the most disconnected of the 6 we've done now. I like it, but it's not as engaging as Autumn Leaves or One Note Samba seemed.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1-24 (110 bpm). I'm still hoping to clean it up in a few places and perhaps pick up the pace for the full solo.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1-24 (110 bpm). I'm still hoping to clean it up in a few places and perhaps pick up the pace for the full solo.
    Sounds really nice, Joe! Well played!

User Info Menu

Here is Week 4, and I take a second solo doing some comping--solo along!

I'm playing with two cameras, one on the headstock looking down the fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Here is Week 4, and I take a second solo doing some comping--solo along!

I'm playing with two cameras, one on the headstock looking down the fingerboard.
    I enjoyed everything about that Lawson! Congrats.

User Info Menu

A trip to the East Coast and an upcoming family wedding have cut into my practice time. I am still planning on posting the full solo and another video with the head plus solo. I just need a little more time in the shed. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24

Running a little behind and trying to catch up. Here's my take on measures 1-24.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Bars 1-24

Running a little behind and trying to catch up. Here's my take on measures 1-24.

Mike
    Do you still have the Conti guitar? I was curious because you haven't been using it recently.

User Info Menu

Do you still have the Conti guitar? I was curious because you haven't been using it recently.
    Yes, I do. I'm going to use it to finish the last eight measures.

Mike

User Info Menu

Hi Group,

Here's my mash-up of the full solo. The first take is at 110 bmp. The second take is a 130 bmp. I had less time than usual to work on this material but it feels good to get another Conti solo under my fingers. I'm still hoping to post a final video (head + solo) before moving on to the next project. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Hi Group,

Here's my mash-up of the full solo. The first take is at 110 bmp. The second take is a 130 bmp. I had less time than usual to work on this material but it feels good to get another Conti solo under my fingers. I'm still hoping to post a final video (head + solo) before moving on to the next project. Cheers.
    Very nicely done! Lovely tone, nice phrasing, dead-on accurate playing. Super!

User Info Menu

Time to put this project to bed...

I lifted the first 32 bars from Freddym223 (check out his videos on YouTube). The solo is straight from Conti TTI Volume 2.

Good luck to those in the group still working on this project. I look forward to seeing you at our next project (Volume 2, Project 3: All The Things You Are).

User Info Menu

I lifted the first 32 bars from Freddym223 (check out his videos on YouTube). The solo is straight from Conti TTI Volume 2.

Good luck to those in the group still working on this project. I look forward to seeing you at our next project (Volume 2, Project 3: All The Things You Are).

That was great. I will be checking out Freddym223. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That's a lovely playing of the head. Does Freddym223 put up notation for these anywhere?

User Info Menu

Freddy plays some nice chord melodies. I don't believe he has transcribed anything other than a lesson he did on playing White Christmas. He's a very nice down to earth person who likes to play jazz.

Mike

User Info Menu

That's a lovely playing of the head. Does Freddym223 put up notation for these anywhere?
    Thanks Lawson. As Mike pointed out, I don't believe Freddym223 puts out transcriptions. I would be glad to share my "faux" transcription of the first 32 bars. By "faux" I mean: no measures, no notes with time values, just tab to show (me) where the fingers should go. I can pretty much guarantee that the transcription will have all the notes that I played. Freddy plays it faster, smoother, better...

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. As Mike pointed out, I don't believe Freddym223 puts out transcriptions. I would be glad to share my "faux" transcription of the first 32 bars. By "faux" I mean: no measures, no notes with time values, just tab to show (me) where the fingers should go. I can pretty much guarantee that the transcription will have all the notes that I played. Freddy plays it faster, smoother, better...
    I would certainly be grateful for that. I loved the fills, and the use of a fill in the first A-B section to shift up an octave. Wonderful!

User Info Menu

Yes. I would love that too !!
    That was great

User Info Menu

*** EDIT: It looks like the PDF attachment didn't make it. Send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send you a copy. ***

Attached is a PDF of my transcription of the first 32 bars of Freddym223's performance of There Will Never Be Another You.

The Original:

My take on the first 32 bars:

Caveat: This transcription provides fingering only (tab). You will need to work out the timing and feel of the solo. Proceed at your own risk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 10-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Improvisation Bars 1-32
    Conti Guitar
    Equity Model

Still working on this one. Here goes.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Improvisation Bars 1-32
    Conti Guitar
    Equity Model

Still working on this one. Here goes.

Mike
    Nicely done Mike! Congrats on getting through another 32 bar Conti solo.