The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

To be fair, I've heard other jazz guitarists using it as well, but it was one that Emily used to use quite often. On this track, she starts doing it at 1.40 - a fast triplet thing, just wondering what the fingering/picking involved would be, if anyone can help?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is what I think she does. Or at least how I would play that lick. Here's the first bar: not sure if this is the position she plays it in. I have the feeling, judging from the sound of it, that she plays it in 11th position on strings 3 and 4.
    Decode this Emily Remler lick?-emilytripletlick-jpg
    Last edited by wannabebopper; 08-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I agree although I think the second note of the first half of the 6/8 phrase is ghosted or not played. That's what I hear.

I hear it as a series of descending pentatonic motifs in 6/8 time on a 4/4 time signature. Thus riff can be played starting on any degree of a pentatonic scale. I hear thus one used a lot in fusion styles and rock styles too.

User Info Menu

Chuck Mangione's guitarist (same era, same riff, essentially). Starts about 1:59:

User Info Menu

in my opinion, this lick should be avoided at all costs. : )
    Tim

User Info Menu

that's a very coryell line..he used it all the time...eleventh house era

long time coryell fan, & they sound very similar in style at that ^ point...they must have been playing quite a lot together

cheers

User Info Menu

Lee Ritenour likes it as well, although he might have copied this solo note for note from another recording. Solo starts at 2:25.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Chuck Mangione's guitarist
    Grant Geissman--an outstanding player.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses, even the one advising against using this lick, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

That was a popular guitar lick back in the 70's and 80's. Jimmy Page used it on Whole Lotta Love off of The Song Remains The Same towards the end. Very cool lick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    in my opinion, this lick should be avoided at all costs. : )
    Tim
    Why do you feel this way please?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Why do you feel this way please?
    If I had to guess, I think that phrase has been so heavily used and borrowed across so many genres that it has fallen from grace and slipped into cliche.

User Info Menu

Speaking as the OP - and obviously I liked something about the lick to start the thread - I do understand the cliche thing. It could easily get irritating and with a shoehorned in quality, regardless of musical situation/taste. I get that - I feel the way Emily used the phrase had a vitality and zest about it though, and that potential is still there. FWIW, I prefer to thing of any lick primarily as a musical idea (which of course they are), and one needs to be inspired by the idea, and use it naturally.

User Info Menu

I think Reg's videos for the forum, with their fantastic groove, show how effective that lick can be in the right hands*. I wish I could do what he does.

*EDIT So - of course - does Emily @1:40 in the clip posted by the OP.
    Last edited by destinytot; 08-30-2017 at 05:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    If I had to guess, I think that phrase has been so heavily used and borrowed across so many genres that it has fallen from grace and slipped into cliche.
    Perhaps 'a cigar is just a cigar' - but I read Tim Lerch's comment as subtle praise (of Emily's skills) by way of kidding. (I wish I could do that, too.) EDIT The point about clichés is an obvious one, but doesn't preclude their judicious use.
    Last edited by destinytot; 08-30-2017 at 05:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Decode: diatonic sequences. In this case a play on 1-2-3-5. The first is Dmaj (5-3-2-1) then Dm (5-b3-2-1) then Cmaj then Cmin (b7-5-4-b3).

Tabbed:

Dmaj
    B- 10 7 10 7
    G - 9 7

Dm
    B- 10 6 10 6
    G - 9 7

Cmaj
    B- 8 5 8 5
    G - 7 6

Cmin
    B- 11 8 11 8
    G - 10 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    The point about clichés is an obvious one, but doesn't preclude their judicious use.
    along similar lines ^ -

yesterdays cliches are tomorrows archetypes

if you think it sounds good, play it...there's always somebody out there that's never heard it before..and they might just really like it..

and put it to even better use!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Perhaps 'a cigar is just a cigar' - but I read Tim Lerch's comment as subtle praise (of Emily's skills) by way of kidding. (I wish I could do that, too.) EDIT The point about clichés is an obvious one, but doesn't preclude their judicious use.
    I don't disagree. It pops in to my playing now and again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx
    Decode: diatonic sequences. In this case a play on 1-2-3-5. The first is Dmaj (5-3-2-1) then Dm (5-b3-2-1) then Cmaj then Cmin (b7-5-4-b3).

Tabbed:

Dmaj
    B- 10 7 10 7
    G - 9 7

Dm
    B- 10 6 10 6
    G - 9 7

Cmaj
    B- 8 5 8 5
    G - 7 6

Cmin
    B- 11 8 11 8