Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

So I've got the arpeggios down..what to practice next?

Hi.

I'm working on my jazz blues chops, and have practiced the arpeggios in a standard Bb blues schema.
    There are so much information out there on different approaches, so I'm not sure what my next practice point should be:
    • Practice the scales: Play a chord note on on every beat, and a diatonic tone on off-beats
    • Play a chord note on on every beat, and play a random note on off-beats
    • Superimposing other scales/arpeggios on top of the basic chords
    • etc

Just to mention it: For the time being, most of the time I don't actually practice to backing tracks, so I prefer making lines that sound good on their own.

What do you suggest I practice to get my jazz blues chops up to speed?

How about transcribing a solo in a blues you like from like Wes or some other authority, see how it fits what you had practiced and then incorporate the phrases or methods in your playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blille View Post
    How about transcribing a solo in a blues you like from like Wes or some other authority, see how it fits what you had practiced and then incorporate the phrases or methods in your playing?
    That's as simple as it is a great advice - the best way to learn a language is actually using it.
    I usually use my mobile phone (with headset) while practicing guitar. Do you know of any apps or something I could use to slow down songs, making the easier to transcribe?

By the way, these days I spend more time practicing just short periods of time throughout the day (let's just say I have small kids) when I get the change, and often won't have the time to get sit down transcribing music, so advice on simple exercises I can do by my own will also be appreciated.

I should probably add that I'm not exclusively interested in jazz blues, but also bebop, Mike Stern stuff, and so forth. As long as it's more colorful than standard blues and rock sounds I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneho View Post
    That's as simple as it is a great advice - the best way to learn a language is actually using it.
    I usually use my mobile phone (with headset) while practicing guitar. Do you know of any apps or something I could use to slow down songs, making the easier to transcribe?

By the way, these days I spend more time practicing just short periods of time throughout the day (let's just say I have small kids) when I get the change, and often won't have the time to get sit down transcribing music, so advice on simple exercises I can do by my own will also be appreciated.

I should probably add that I'm not exclusively interested in jazz blues, but also bebop, Mike Stern stuff, and so forth. As long as it's more colorful than standard blues and rock sounds I'm all ears.

There may be better or cheaper options, but I use Amazing Slow Downer. It works and it's simple to use.

Many people prefer Transcribe, which I found more complicated to use, although it has more features.

This goes back some years, so there may be better options.

I practice with background tracks. Not the same as playing with a live band, but better than nothing. But, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I'm trying to be a competent combo player.

Learn songs. Learn licks. Apply the licks to the songs. TrueFire has some great videos that teach licks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all, I LOVE Mike Stern.

Now that we got that out of the way, regarding playing back songs slower: what I do 99% of the time is use the play at 75% or 50% speed on YouTube.

Do you know of any apps or something I could use to slow down songs, making the easier to transcribe?
    Audipo.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed