The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 124

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti study group working through his Ticket to Improv series is continuing into Volume 2!

Our first solo is based on the changes to "One Note Samba." We who have worked through Vol. 1 will be pressing on, but we also invite any who wish to join in this journey to feel welcome!

We've evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

So, if that's agreeable (I can edit this post if anyone has suggested revisions, PM me) how's this schedule:

August 8: Measures 1-8
    August 15: Measures 1-16
    August 22: Measures 1-24
    August 29: Measures 1-32
    September 5: Measures 1-40
    September 7: Final Posting!

It might be good if everyone planning to do this would post a simple "I'm In!" reply.

Let the games begin! And really, when we practice, the odds are always in our favor!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson for getting the thread set up for Conti TTI V2: One Note Samba. I'm all the way in! The study group's guidelines certainly served us well for TTI V1. I'm hoping we can add a few new members to our well-functioning group. Regards, Joe

User Info Menu

I have a question.

bars 3&4. I can't make out what he is doing on the bit where he shows how to make a " hip sounding Line"

Any ideas guys?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I have a question.

bars 3&4. I can't make out what he is doing on the bit where he shows how to make a " hip sounding Line"

Any ideas guys?
    Hi Andy -- I'm at work and going from memory but I believe he uses two sets of 3-note hammer-ons (2 notes preceding the target note, target note makes 3) to make the line sound "hip". I'll provide more exact info later tonight.

BTW, I think this is a very cool sounding solo. I just started working on bars 1-4 last night (but it needs work).

Update:
    Yes, in bar 3 (Eb to D/Tab 4th string 13 to 12) and bar 4 (Bb to A/Tab 5th string 13 to 12), Conti slurs/hammers into the target note instead of just playing the single note. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 08-01-2017 at 01:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on mm. 1-8, played through twice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have a question.

Any ideas guys?
    I will take a close look at this tomorrow and try to say something intelligent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Sounds great Lawson !!
    I like the sound of this solo much better than the previous solos.

User Info Menu

Way to get us started Lawson. Beautiful tone and smoothly played.

User Info Menu

Very nice Lawson, I'm struggling with bars 3-4 at about 11:30 on the DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Sounds great Lawson !!
    I like the sound of this solo much better than the previous solos.

I do too. I actually figured out that Conti is not only teaching us riffs and ideas in terms of notes, he also incorporated a recurring set of rhythmic figures and chromatic moves in Vol. 1 that the 4 solos really ingrained into us. I bet on this volume he'll layer on a handful of other riffs and rhythmic figures, occasionally using those from vol. I

I can't comment btw on mm. 3-4. I'm on vacation right now and haven't got the video here to watch. But I'll be home and back in business on Monday and I'll check it out.

User Info Menu

Very nice Lawson, I'm struggling with bars 3-4 at about 11:30 on the DVD?
    Struggling with playing them as written or with the elaboration he demonstrates? I didn't catch the elaboration.

The key to playing 3-4 as written is that the E natural that slurs up to the F is played firmly on the downbeat of 1. The instinctive tendency of jazz players to start the line on the upbeat must be resisted. Play that E natural solidly on the downbeat of 1, slide up to the F on the 10th fret.

That lick is basically a Joe Pass lick I've heard him use many times. It can end either with a resolution to the I chord, or resolve to the I7 to move to the IV. Pretty versatile phrase. I learned it with a different fingering, so I'm enjoying using Conti's fingering which will allow me to use the lick in more places.

User Info Menu

I did a quick recording of bars 3&4, to show where I'm at.
    Andy, if you were working on Conti's hip version for Measures 3-4, try this:

One Note Samba: Conti's Ticket to Improv, Vol. 2-bars-3-4-jpg

Mike

User Info Menu

Video of Bars 1-4

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-06-2020 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Andy, if you were working on Conti's hip version for Measures 3-4, try this:

Mike
    Thanks Mike, thats it.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Now lots of practice before I get those first 8 bars recorded.
    Last edited by andyb; 08-02-2017 at 01:45 AM.

User Info Menu

One Note Samba Improvisation
    Bars 1-8

Here's my go at the first eight measures.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    One Note Samba Improvisation
    Bars 1-8

Here's my go at the first eight measures.

Mike
    Well done! We're off and running!

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I recorded Bars 1 - 16 because I am going away for a week and I wanted to get this in before my holiday.

I recorded the first 16 bars chords because I love the decending chord progression. I love the Robert Conti program, however I wish there would be some discussion of chords because I think the development of melodies, improv and chords should be simultaneous.

I feel that Conti's rhythmic development in this solo is far superior to the rhythms in Vol 1.

Anyways here it is

One Note Samba Bars 1 - 16

Analysis

I altered a few things

Bars 1-2 - Nice phrase - I altered the rhythms so that they would be the same in Bar 1 and Bar 2 (ala Keith Jarrett)
    Bars 3 - 4 - Nice Phrase - A Bb phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bars 5 - Nice Phrase - A D- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 6 - Classic Conti Double Stops
    Bars 7 - Nice Phrase - A C- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 8 - Similar rhythmic motif as Bar 5
    Bars 9 - Nice Phrase - A F- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 10 - Not a lot of notes but a nice simple rhythm that will be back
    Bar 11 - Similar to Bar 9. In fact I tried to play them with the same rhythm. This would tie Bar 11 and Bar 9 and . . . .
    Bar 12 - Conti Double Stops with the rhythm from bar 10. This puts a rhythmic bow on bars 9 through 12
    Bar 13 - Similar to Bar 1
    Bar 14 - Similar to Bar 2
    Bars 13 and 14 - Having these 2 bars be similar bars 1 and 2 binds the entire section together. It makes it sound cohesive as opposed to random improvising over chord changes
    Bars 15 and 16 - A nice octave phrase to wrap up the section.

As always, tell me what you think

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I recorded Bars 1 - 16 because I am going away for a week and I wanted to get this in before my holiday.

You owned that Doublea A! Way to go for the octaves in bars 15-16. Thanks for the analysis. I'm loving this solo and expect to post something this weekend. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Sorry guys I'm out. I am having a rough run here at home and need to concentrate all my efforts on home and work.

I wish you all the best, and thanks for your support and support.

andyb

User Info Menu

Sorry guys I'm out. I am having a rough run here at home and need to concentrate all my efforts on home and work.

andyb
    Best wishes Andy. Hope to have back here soon.

User Info Menu

andyb
    Andy, I hope to see you back here soon.

Mike

User Info Menu

Sorry for intruding, but I thought you guys might enjoy this - especially Al Gafa @1m38 - because the changes resemble what you're working on:

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I recorded the first 16 bars chords because I love the decending chord progression. I love the Robert Conti program, however I wish there would be some discussion of chords because I think the development of melodies, improv and chords should be simultaneous.

I feel that Conti's rhythmic development in this solo is far superior to the rhythms in Vol 1.

Anyways here it is

One Note Samba Bars 1 - 16

Analysis

I altered a few things

Bars 1-2 - Nice phrase - I altered the rhythms so that they would be the same in Bar 1 and Bar 2 (ala Keith Jarrett)
    Bars 3 - 4 - Nice Phrase - A Bb phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bars 5 - Nice Phrase - A D- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 6 - Classic Conti Double Stops
    Bars 7 - Nice Phrase - A C- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 8 - Similar rhythmic motif as Bar 5
    Bars 9 - Nice Phrase - A F- phrase that you can learn and transpose into other keys.
    Bar 10 - Not a lot of notes but a nice simple rhythm that will be back
    Bar 11 - Similar to Bar 9. In fact I tried to play them with the same rhythm. This would tie Bar 11 and Bar 9 and . . . .
    Bar 12 - Conti Double Stops with the rhythm from bar 10. This puts a rhythmic bow on bars 9 through 12
    Bar 13 - Similar to Bar 1
    Bar 14 - Similar to Bar 2
    Bars 13 and 14 - Having these 2 bars be similar bars 1 and 2 binds the entire section together. It makes it sound cohesive as opposed to random improvising over chord changes
    Bars 15 and 16 - A nice octave phrase to wrap up the section.

Well played indeed!

User Info Menu

andyb
    you'll be keenly missed! Hope you can re-join down the road somewhere.

User Info Menu

andyb
    Hi Andy -- I'm glad we got to work through Conti V1 together. Thanks for your efforts and support. I look forward to seeing you around the Forum and hope we get to study together again. You know where to find us! Best of luck with the home situation. Cheers, Joe