The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 124 of 124

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Nice tone on both instruments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Those are two guitars where a guy just can't go wrong.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1-40. I've included two (almost identical) takes. The first one is at 110 Beats Per Minute. The second one is at 120 BPM.

I'm hoping to post a final video (head and solo) before the September 7th target end date for this project. Now I just need to learn the tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here is my take on bars 1-40. I've included two (almost identical) takes. The first one is at 110 Beats Per Minute. The second one is at 120 BPM.

I'm hoping to post a final video (head and solo) before the September 7th target end date for this project. Now I just need to learn the tune!
    Really nice! I'm enjoying seeing what everyone is doing with those "uncertain" measures where the notation didn't match the video. Possibly something intentional to get us to do our own thing?

I"m looking forward to hearing you play the whole thing. I'm working on it, I just haven't gotten a take yet where I got the head and the solo both right!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm working on it, I just haven't gotten a take yet where I got the head and the solo both right!
    Thanks Lawson. I'm really struggling with the basic timing of the melody from the Real Book. Too many syncopated beats in the A Section.

User Info Menu

Joe, you nailed it!! Did you notice a big difference between 110 bpm and 120 bpm other than the obvious faster tempo?

Mike

User Info Menu

Great job. That is clearly your best performance on the Robert Conti stuff. Well done !!

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. I'm really struggling with the basic timing of the melody from the Real Book. Too many syncopated beats in the A Section.
    Find a version with vocals and imitate what you hear. Don't worry about what is on the page.

User Info Menu

Find a version with vocals and imitate what you hear. Don't worry about what is on the page.

Yes most bossa nova is best learned by ear and then you use the chart to clean up any confusion. And I normally prefer to read a chart then go by ear, but with BN I start by getting the feel and flow by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my attempt to marry the tune and the solo. The backing track I use is still giving me some problems, I guess I just don't have that slippery latin feeling going on or something! I seriously miss a few key beats on the tune. On the solo, I still find mm. 26-30 a bit shaky, and I flat out miss them on this take, but I'm done now and am ready for "Another" tune, as soon as I've enjoyed listening to everyone else's takes on the solo or the tune+solo!

User Info Menu

Here's my attempt to marry the tune and the solo. The backing track I use is still giving me some problems, I guess I just don't have that slippery latin feeling going on or something! I seriously miss a few key beats on the tune. On the solo, I still find mm. 26-30 a bit shaky, and I flat out miss them on this take, but I'm done now and am ready for "Another" tune, as soon as I've enjoyed listening to everyone else's takes on the solo or the tune+solo!

Sounds great. You have inspired me to do the same.

User Info Menu

It's 2 weeks early, of course, but I'm going over the thread here to see if everyone has actually completed this solo. Has everyone posted their final solo?

Are we ready to go ahead and set up the next project?

User Info Menu

It's 2 weeks early, of course, but I'm going over the thread here to see if everyone has actually completed this solo. Has everyone posted their final solo?

Hi Lawson and the rest of the team,

I would prefer to stay close to the original schedule (i.e., wrap up around September 5). I missed 2 weeks of playing due to vacation and would love to use the Labor Day weekend to post a final take and do my usual review of the previous Conti solos.

At the same time, I can't wait to see what the next project has in store for us. I have no objections if folks want to get started a bit early. I'm energized by this group's enthusiasm and support.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson and the rest of the team,

I would prefer to stay close to the original schedule (i.e., wrap up around September 5). I missed 2 weeks of playing due to vacation and would love to use the Labor Day weekend to post a final take and do my usual review of the previous Conti solos.

At the same time, I can't wait to see what the next project has in store for us. I have no objections if folks want to get started a bit early. I'm energized by this group's enthusiasm and support.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Hey we're a small group and so we can operate on the "Nobody gets left behind" philosophy as far as I'm concerned. I'm up to my nose in the Jimmy Raney group trying to learn this wicked-fast Rhythm changes solo that is only playable if one's fingers actually become detached from one's hands.... so I am fine with staying on the original pace. This has been a pretty dedicated group, so I doubt we'll lose anyone in the interim.

User Info Menu

Lawson I really enjoyed that! Another great final take. If they call out that tune at a jam session, you've got it covered, big time. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Below is the text of the message I'll post to start the "Another You" thread. Before starting it I thought I'd run it past you guys to see if anything needs changing or adjusting. If nobody suggests any changes by, say, Monday, I'll start the new thread.
    -------
    The Robert Conti study group working through his Ticket to Improv series is continuing in Volume 2!

Our next solo is based on the changes to "There Will Never Be Another You." We who have worked through the previous solos will be pressing on, but we also invite any who wish to join in this journey to feel welcome!

We've evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

So, if that's agreeable (I can edit this post if anyone has suggested revisions, PM me) how's this schedule:

September 12: Measures 1-8
    September 19: Measures 1-16
    September 26: Measures 1-24
    October 3: Measures 1-32

It might be good if everyone planning to do this would post a simple "I'm In!" reply.

Let the games begin! And really, when we practice, the odds are always in our favor!

User Info Menu

Below is the text of the message I'll post to start the "Another You" thread. Before starting it I thought I'd run it past you guys to see if anything needs changing or adjusting. If nobody suggests any changes by, say, Monday, I'll start the new thread.
    -------
    The Robert Conti study group working through his Ticket to Improv series is continuing in Volume 2!

Our next solo is based on the changes to "There Will Never Be Another You." We who have worked through the previous solos will be pressing on, but we also invite any who wish to join in this journey to feel welcome!

We've evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

So, if that's agreeable (I can edit this post if anyone has suggested revisions, PM me) how's this schedule:

September 12: Measures 1-8
    September 19: Measures 1-16
    September 26: Measures 1-24
    October 3: Measures 1-32

It might be good if everyone planning to do this would post a simple "I'm In!" reply.

Let the games begin! And really, when we practice, the odds are always in our favor!
    Looks good! I'm in.

Mike

User Info Menu

-------

Fantastic Lawson! It really captures what the study group is all about. I'm looking forward to wrapping up One Note Samba over the long weekend and then getting started on TWNBAY. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Just about ready for the next one

User Info Menu

Here's my final take on One Note Samba. I really enjoyed learning this solo as well as learning a new standard. I had not previously worked on this tune. Getting 80 bars on video without a complete train wreck is also a new personal best. See you all at TWNBAY!

User Info Menu

Here's my final take on One Note Samba. I really enjoyed learning this solo as well as learning a new standard. I had not previously worked on this tune. Getting 80 bars on video without a complete train wreck is also a new personal best. See you all at TWNBAY!

Great job.
    I hope to post mine today

User Info Menu

Well played! those single note lines on the bridge I play an octave lower, and I keep telling myself I want to learn them up higher, but never got around to it. You have inspired me to try it!

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Robert Conti's One Note Samba

One Note Samba

Let me know what you think

User Info Menu

One Note Samba

Well done Doublea A! I applaud your use of octaves in a couple of spots. I am learning a lot by watching how each member of the group approaches the solo and in some cases the head of the tune. Congrats on finishing the project.

User Info Menu

One Note Samba

You've definitely made the solo your own and it was fun to hear your take on the head as well.