The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 124

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Bars 1-8. I played it twice through only changing the pick. Take 1 (Dunlop Tortex .50mm). Take 2 (D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm).

I will be on vacation Aug. 11-25 and won't be able to record, so I'm trying to get as far along as I can this weekend. I'm sure I will be able to keep up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here is my take on Bars 1-8. I played it twice through only changing the pick. Take 1 (Dunlop Tortex .50mm). Take 2 (D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm).

I will be on vacation Aug. 11-25 and won't be able to record, so I'm trying to get as far along as I can this weekend. I'm sure I will be able to keep up.

Very nice. You achieved a real smooth tone on this take. Well done !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-16. As I mentioned, with vacation looming, I've got to submit these early.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-16. As I mentioned, with vacation looming, I've got to submit these early.

Nice. I could tell you that you have really achieved some sweet tones on this ones but I would be repeating myself. Bravo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes, very nice. You make that L5 sing!

User Info Menu

I don't know how far I will go with this because I've been pretty busy lately, but I happened to have this DVD and never cracked it open before. I got it as a bonus when I bought other material some years ago. This seemed like the moment to give it a whirl.

Here goes bars 1-8:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I don't know how far I will go with this because I've been pretty busy lately, but I happened to have this DVD and never cracked it open before. I got it as a bonus when I bought other material some years ago. This seemed like the moment to give it a whirl.
    Welcome to the group rlrhett. You are off to a great start!

User Info Menu

Here goes bars 1-8:
    Welcome to the party!

I love groups like this where instead of talking and wrangling all day, we PLAY. Basic stuff, to be sure, but the Conti group PLAYS. Love that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Welcome to the party!

I love groups like this where instead of talking and wrangling all day, we PLAY. Basic stuff, to be sure, but the Conti group PLAYS. Love that!

User Info Menu

Here goes bars 1-8:
    Well done! Welcome to the Study Group.

Mike

User Info Menu

Here goes bars 1-8:

Very nice !!
    Welcome !!

User Info Menu

Here's an effort on Mm. 1-16. First I play a draft of the tune's first 16 measures, sort of a cobbled-together chord-melody. Then Conti's first 16 measures, then, well... after all, Conti said you could just play blues over mm. 1-8 and 13-16, so I gave it a shot, throwing in a random II-V-I-V7 line for mm. 9-12.

User Info Menu

Here's an effort on Mm. 1-16. First I play a draft of the tune's first 16 measures, sort of a cobbled-together chord-melody. Then Conti's first 16 measures, then, well... after all, Conti said you could just play blues over mm. 1-8 and 13-16, so I gave it a shot, throwing in a random II-V-I-V7 line for mm. 9-12.

Sounds great Lawson!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Sounds great Lawson!!

Thanks!

I confess I was stunned when Conti illustrated how you can "just play blues" over the basic progression in ONS. I've played at that tune for 20 years and never felt confident improvising over it. Then, in one fell swoop, Conti reduces it to a single idea. Granted, "just playing blues" over it can get thin. But as a second chorus or change of pace, it is something to try! I should note that I'm using the Bb "Major" Blues scale, i.e. the Bb major Pentatonic with the "blue note" (b3) thrown in. You could also call it the G Minor blues scale.

Also, he's right about it just being a iii-VI-ii-V progression. Dm7 is the iii of Bb; Db7 is the tritone of G (the VI of Bb), Cm7 is the ii, of course, and B7 is the tritone of F (the V of Bb). All of which suggests that one could even improvise using the Bb major scale and some chromatic ideas. I might try that on my next effort.

User Info Menu

Now that's how it is done Lawson! You keep raising the bar.

User Info Menu

Now that's how it is done Lawson! You keep raising the bar.
    Thanks! You know, on this solo I think Conti is also moving to more extended melodic ideas and motif development. He's clearly got WAAAAAAY more method in his "just play" madness than meets the eye. I like the pedagogy.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

I confess I was stunned when Conti illustrated how you can "just play blues" over the basic progression in ONS. I've played at that tune for 20 years and never felt confident improvising over it. Then, in one fell swoop, Conti reduces it to a single idea. Granted, "just playing blues" over it can get thin. But as a second chorus or change of pace, it is something to try! I should note that I'm using the Bb "Major" Blues scale, i.e. the Bb major Pentatonic with the "blue note" (b3) thrown in. You could also call it the G Minor blues scale.

Also, he's right about it just being a iii-VI-ii-V progression. Dm7 is the iii of Bb; Db7 is the tritone of G (the VI of Bb), Cm7 is the ii, of course, and B7 is the tritone of F (the V of Bb). All of which suggests that one could even improvise using the Bb major scale and some chromatic ideas. I might try that on my next effort.
    I love your analysis (I am such a geek for this stuff). I guess that i always knew that this song was primarily in Bb and I agree with you that "just playing blues" over it can get thin". I feel that the genius of Conti is is not making it sound like a blues solo.

Your analysis of the chord progression is bang on. A classic case of tritone substitution.
    Think of this : D-7 G7 C-7 F7 Bbmaj7
    iii VI ii V I
    Now tritone substitute the G7 and the F7.

The new progression is D-7 Db7 C-7 B7 Bbmaj7
    iii biii7 ii bii7 I

A similar progression occurs in the last eight bars of Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

Thanks! You know, on this solo I think Conti is also moving to more extended melodic ideas and motif development. He's clearly got WAAAAAAY more method in his "just play" madness than meets the eye. I like the pedagogy.

Agreed. So far Vol 2 is far superior to Vol 1 in terms of solo development.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I love your analysis (I am such a geek for this stuff). I guess that i always knew that this song was primarily in Bb and I agree with you that "just playing blues" over it can get thin". I feel that the genius of Conti is is not making it sound like a blues solo.

Your analysis of the chord progression is bang on. A classic case of tritone substitution.
    Think of this : D-7 G7 C-7 F7 Bbmaj7
    iii VI ii V I
    Now tritone substitute the G7 and the F7.

The new progression is D-7 Db7 C-7 B7 Bbmaj7
    iii biii7 ii bii7 I

A similar progression occurs in the last eight bars of Autumn Leaves.
    Yes, it's funny because I regularly use the chromatically descending bass line when I play a iii-VI-ii-V in other contexts. It took me a long time to realize what was going on in ONS.

User Info Menu

I've been working on the "bridge" in mm. 17-24 and have found it tricky. You wouldn't think a line of 8th notes could be hard, but I'm finding it hard to play with a good sense of the time. Seems like the line lays over the beats in a nice, but rather tricky way!

I also tried a different recording method than usual, so figured I'd post this effort and see how it works.

User Info Menu

I've been working on the "bridge" in mm. 17-24 and have found it tricky. You wouldn't think a line of 8th notes could be hard, but I'm finding it hard to play with a good sense of the time. Seems like the line lays over the beats in a nice, but rather tricky way!

I also tried a different recording method than usual, so figured I'd post this effort and see how it works.
    Hi Lawson, I agree the bridge (bars 17-24) is a bit tricky. But to my ear, you nailed it. I liked the tone as well. I enjoy seeing you play different guitars.

User Info Menu

Here is my 1-16. Just like in the Rhythm changes study group, I am finding it hard to play 16 bars of a memorized piece. 40 is going to be possibly insurmountable for me. But for now, here it is with some flubs. Perfect is the enemy of done.

User Info Menu

Here is my 1-16. Just like in the Rhythm changes study group, I am finding it hard to play 16 bars of a memorized piece. 40 is going to be possibly insurmountable for me. But for now, here it is with some flubs. Perfect is the enemy of done.
    I liked it! One bar at a time is my motto... Cheers.

User Info Menu

You did good on this one. I believe it was Mr. Conti who said something to the effect, by making mistakes you will learn what not to play.

Mike

User Info Menu

Great job !!

I have a hard time memorizing as well. So I don't memorize.