The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 113

User Info Menu

This thread is installment 4 for a group working through Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv instructional video set. We are learning his solo based on the changes to "Take the A Train" at a pace of 8 measures per week. In this project we are using lines and phrases learned in the previous 3 solos in a new context, so this ought to be really easy right? I mean, we know the lines already, right? Yeah. Right.

Every Tuesday we try to post clips of our progress for the week. Naturally, some weeks, any one of us might be delayed or have to post a little later, which is totally fine. We also are focusing on accountability to work through the solo, and encouragement, to keep ourselves moving, as opposed to a lot of critique and coaching. We assume that a post is not asking for critique unless the person posting has a particular problem they ask for help on. Some will re-post a better version of the week's clip, sometimes we play around with tempos, it's really open to whatever is helping you learn and keep on pace without getting bogged down.

Some people like also to learn the chords and melody to the tune, which is fine, but not required. It's okay to post those clips, but this is not the "Practical Standards" group. We're focused on learning Conti's solo. Also, we talk a little about how the lines and language he's using apply and might be oriented to the changes, but we aren't doing theory here. Focus on theory is CONTI-rary to Conti's method!
    This is a group for people who want to play these solos and want to talk about the process of playing them and learning from them, and to have encouragement and accountability.

Here's our schedule of Tuesday post goals:

May 30: Measures 1-8
    June 6: Measures 1-16
    June 13: Measures 1-24
    June 20: Measures 1-32
    June 27: Catch-Up and time for anyone to make a final, more polished post if they wish.

So, all you Conti-rarians, or Contians (which is not to be confused with the famous German philosopher who could not play crap though he wrote lots of books!), have at it!

Maybe we should have a series of replies here indicating who is "in" on this stage of the journey?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. I'm in! -- Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This thread is installment 4 for a group working through Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv instructional video set. We are learning his solo based on the changes to "Take the A Train" at a pace of 8 measures per week. In this project we are using lines and phrases learned in the previous 3 solos in a new context, so this ought to be really easy right? I mean, we know the lines already, right? Yeah. Right.

Every Tuesday we try to post clips of our progress for the week. Naturally, some weeks, any one of us might be delayed or have to post a little later, which is totally fine. We also are focusing on accountability to work through the solo, and encouragement, to keep ourselves moving, as opposed to a lot of critique and coaching. We assume that a post is not asking for critique unless the person posting has a particular problem they ask for help on. Some will re-post a better version of the week's clip, sometimes we play around with tempos, it's really open to whatever is helping you learn and keep on pace without getting bogged down.

Some people like also to learn the chords and melody to the tune, which is fine, but not required. It's okay to post those clips, but this is not the "Practical Standards" group. We're focused on learning Conti's solo. Also, we talk a little about how the lines and language he's using apply and might be oriented to the changes, but we aren't doing theory here. Focus on theory is CONTI-rary to Conti's method!
    This is a group for people who want to play these solos and want to talk about the process of playing them and learning from them, and to have encouragement and accountability.

June 27: Catch-Up and time for anyone to make a final, more polished post if they wish.

So, all you Conti-rarians, or Contians (which is not to be confused with the famous German philosopher who could not play crap though he wrote lots of books!), have at it!

Maybe we should have a series of replies here indicating who is "in" on this stage of the journey?
    Love it !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Does anyone know who to contact about putting a "Sticky" on this thread, since Mark Rhodes is no longer a moderator?

User Info Menu

I'm in!

Mike

User Info Menu

I've sent a note to the moderators requesting a "Sticky" for this thread. I also told them they can "un-stick" the Autumn Leaves thread.

User Info Menu

I thought I would get us started. I'm using my mid-1980's Yamaha AE1200s through a Brunetti Singleman amp. I'm still struggling with both the Gibson and Yamaha guitars to get a balanced tone between chords and notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Bars 1-8, this has been an exciting week for me. First of all I thought I would start using a looper pedal and doing my own comping, I think this will make me work on comping, and make recording easier.
    and the second thing is, I bought a new guitar, its a 10 year old Epiphone Elitist Broadway, I bought it form a really nice guy on the forum.

I only got it yesterday and did my recording today.
    Andy,

Good job on this one and the comping. Nice guitar! It has a nice tone.

Mike

User Info Menu

Bars 1-8, this has been an exciting week for me. First of all I thought I would start using a looper pedal and doing my own comping, I think this will make me work on comping, and make recording easier.
    and the second thing is, I bought a new guitar, its a 10 year old Epiphone Elitist Broadway, I bought it form a really nice guy on the forum.

Oh yeah! That's the tone, for sure! Sounds fabulous. Great start on the project.

I hadn't thought of laying down a comping track. That's a fun idea!

User Info Menu

So when I got into this project I faced a problem. I am leaving the country for 6 weeks very soon, so I need to work ahead. I hope that's not irritating to anyone! But fortunately, the lines are from the earlier solos, and these first 16 measures contain some of my favorites.

In honor of Andy's new Elitist Broadway, I've recorded mm. 1-16 on my own Elitist Broadway, then on my Gibson L5ces. I doubt anyone could find a huge difference. Yes they sound a little different, but I can't say my Gibson sounds "better" than the EEB. The Epiphone is a serious, pro-level, life-long guitar and worth hunting down.

BTW I'm using the backing track from the Aeborsold Vol. 12 "Duke Ellington" set. It has this tune at 160 bpm (OUCH!) but I've slowed it down to our tempo on this project.

And... I don't know where the blinding glare on the pickups came from, so I'm sorry about that! It is not an angelic glow or anything!

Last edited by lawson-stone; 05-29-2017 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=In honor of Andy's new Elitist Broadway, I've recorded mm. 1-16 on my own Elitist Broadway, then on my Gibson L5ces. I doubt anyone could find a huge difference. Yes they sound a little different, but I can't say my Gibson sounds "better" than the EEB. The Epiphone is a serious, pro-level, life-long guitar and worth hunting down. [/QUOTE]

Great playing Lawson, its quite understandable that you want to get this project finished before your trip.

Thanks for your help with the new guitar, I am really pleased with it, hopefully it will be with me for a long time. The seller had recently bought an L5, so that was his reason for selling the Broadway. He very kindly let me play the L5, and the biggest difference to me was the frets, and the finish. It was a beauty though.

User Info Menu

Great playing Lawson, its quite understandable that you want to get this project finished before your trip.

Thanks for your help with the new guitar, I am really pleased with it, hopefully it will be with me for a long time. The seller had recently bought an L5, so that was his reason for selling the Broadway. He very kindly let me play the L5, and the biggest difference to me was the frets, and the finish. It was a beauty though.
    The Epiphone Elitist Broadway does not need to surrender any territory to the L5ces in most areas. It isn't carved, the L5ces is, though it is still solid wood, and very good wood as well. The fit and finish on the Gibson is often a little better, but honestly, I have a hard time looking at my EEB and seeing anything less than stellar.

Unless you just have the Gibson Addiction Syndrome (the real meaning of GAS) your EEB will be your ideal full-size, long-scale archtop guitar for the rest of your life. Other than the L5ces, there isn't a step up from a near-mint EEB, in my opinion. And if you factor in the cost, wow, the EEB is a nuclear bang for your pound-sterling!

I suggest you set up your amp totally flat, same EQ for Low, Mid, Treble. Then start with the guitar's volume & tone at 10. Experiment then with where you pick. These longer-scale archtops show a lot of variation as you move from near the bridge up to the end of the fingerboard. Picking right over the neck pickup can produce a truly fat, golden tone.

Then start backing off the tone. I find the tone control on the EEB to be very even in its effects. But as you turn it down, there is a spot where it will go from "softer" to "muffled." Just a tiny bit above "muffled" and you have something that is a lovely, 50's era tone to complement the clear, warm tone with the knob at 10. These are my two "baseline" settings. Tone at 10, and then tone at about 4 (just before it goes all muffled and muted).

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new guitar Andy. Sounds great!

User Info Menu

So when I got into this project I faced a problem. I am leaving the country for 6 weeks very soon, so I need to work ahead. I hope that's not irritating to anyone! But fortunately, the lines are from the earlier solos, and these first 16 measures contain some of my favorites.
    Way to swing the solo Lawson! Glad you could work in this project before your trip.

User Info Menu

I have been thinking about Lawson's trip and the fact he will be missing for a few weeks.

Can I make a suggestion, when we get to the end of this last project, we have a short break from the TTI lessons.
    We could pick a new tune and make our own solo over the changes, re-using the lines we have leant so far?
    I think it would be interesting to see how we approached it in different ways.

Then when Lawson is back we can start TTI V2.
    Last edited by andyb; 05-30-2017 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I have been thinking about Lawson's trip and the fact he will be missing a few weeks.

Can I make a suggestion, when we get to the end of this last project, we have a short break from the TTI lessons.
    We could pick a new tune and make our own solo over the changes, re-using the lines we have lean so far?

That is so kind for you to even think of. I was really regretting missing out on basically a whole solo in Volume 2. I could learn it on my own, I guess, but the conversation here, the sharing clips, all makes it so much more satisfying and also more fruitful for learning.

I get back in late July and will re-join the group regardless of whether you hit the pause button or keep moving forward. But it might be useful to have a pause between volumes for a variety of reasons. Maybe even to get all 4 solos up to speed, work on re-applying lines, etc.

User Info Menu

A-Train Improvisation
    Bars 1-8

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    A-Train Improvisation
    Bars 1-8

Mike
    Wow we are all jumping on this new solo with some real initiative! The whole idea of each of us taking these lines to a standard of our own choosing is really buzzing in my head...

User Info Menu

I have been thinking about Lawson's trip and the fact he will be missing for a few weeks.

We could pick a new tune and make our own solo over the changes, re-using the lines we have leant so far?

Well it looks like my suggestion is popular, should we:

A, Pick a tune and we all learn the same tune, and then make our own solo, preferably in C major or A minor.
    B, Chose our own tune, and do our own thing.

If we go A, we will need a list of tunes perhaps we could all put 2 tunes forward?

my 2 would be
    "St Thomas" Sonny Rollins" 16 bar latin swing and do the improv twice

and "Exactly Like You" 32 bar AABC med swing Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields
    Last edited by andyb; 05-31-2017 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

A, Pick a tune and we all learn the same tune, and then make our own solo, preferably in C major or A minor.

If we go A, we will need a list of tunes perhaps we could all put 2 tunes forward?

my 2 would be
    "St Thomas" Sonny Rollins" 16 bar latin swing and do the improv twice

and "Exactly Like You" 32 bar AABC med swing Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields
    I like those ideas. I also like "Fly me to the moon".
    There are also some suggestions that are not in C.
    I like "All the things you are"
    We could also try a ballad like "Misty" or "Body and Soul"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I like those ideas. I also like "Fly me to the moon".
    There are also some suggestions that are not in C.
    I like "All the things you are"
    We could also try a ballad like "Misty" or "Body and Soul"

Great tunes, I was thinking of C because the solos so far have been in C.

Also what about the practical standards thread, perhaps we could get involved with that, does anyone know what tune is up next there?

User Info Menu

Great tunes, I was thinking of C because the solos so far have been in C.

Also what about the practical standards thread, perhaps we could get involved with that, does anyone know what tune is up next there?
    Sure.
    In that case, here are my choices:

Exactly like you
    Black Orpheus
    Night and Day
    I could write a book
    Fly me to the moon
    Pennies from Heaven
    All of Me
    Time after time
    S'Wonderful
    Let's Fall in Love

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Sure.
    In that case, here are my choices:

Exactly like you
    Black Orpheus
    Night and Day
    I could write a book
    Fly me to the moon
    Pennies from Heaven
    All of Me
    Time after time
    S'Wonderful
    Let's Fall in Love

I'd just observe some of these tunes are a good deal more complex than what we've been doing and some might struggle with adapting a line for a Dm7 G7 line to Bbm7 Eb7 or the like. Moving the lines around and re-deploying them is the goal, but at least in my experience that is a lot harder than it might seem. I don't know for example if I could do "All the Things You Are" with the Conti lines (yet). I've been trying "Misty" but even there I'm having trouble making them fit.

It might be good if we all choose our own tune and present it to the group. Then we could all benefit from hearing several tunes applying the same lines we've been learning.

User Info Menu

Hi Group -- Great idea Andy. I would vote for "B" as it would allow me to take a tune I know and rework the Conti lines. Cheers.

User Info Menu

I'd just observe some of these tunes are a good deal more complex than what we've been doing and some might struggle with adapting a line for a Dm7 G7 line to Bbm7 Eb7 or the like. Moving the lines around and re-deploying them is the goal, but at least in my experience that is a lot harder than it might seem. I don't know for example if I could do "All the Things You Are" with the Conti lines (yet). I've been trying "Misty" but even there I'm having trouble making them fit.

It might be good if we all choose our own tune and present it to the group. Then we could all benefit from hearing several tunes applying the same lines we've been learning.
    Sure. Sounds good to me.
    I have a hard time making decisions (obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk