The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 113

User Info Menu

Great stuff guys, option B it is, pick your own tune and do your own thing, using the Conti lines from TTI V1 in the solo. I think it will be fun.

When we get there, should we continue with a weekly update?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would love a weekly update myself. In traveling, I won't have good time to work on lines, but I'll be able to log onto the forum and burn with envy over you guys being able to do it!

I'll also have to slip out of the Jimmy Raney group, too, which is also breaking my heart.

Consolation: I'll be playing the archaeologist in Israel for real! Pretty hard to beat.

My alternate identity June 11-July 22:
    Take the A Train - Robert Conti Ticket to Improv. Vol I Project 4-hallway_pics-4-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I would love a weekly update myself. In traveling, I won't have good time to work on lines, but I'll be able to log onto the forum and burn with envy over you guys being able to do it!

I'll also have to slip out of the Jimmy Raney group, too, which is also breaking my heart.

Consolation: I'll be playing the archaeologist in Israel for real! Pretty hard to beat.

Take the A Train - Robert Conti Ticket to Improv. Vol I Project 4-hallway_pics-4-jpg
    We will miss you Lawson.

Is anyone taking over the Raney group while you are gone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Or are we waiting for you to return?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Or are we waiting for you to return?

Gosh I wasn't "in charge" of the Raney group. I just posted the sticky for the solo, figured out the schedule, and then proceed to butcher the solo to the best of my ability!

All it needs is somebody to copy-paste the current OP in the present thread, change the name of the solo, adjust the dates for the next 16 week period, and it's done.

I hope to try and catch up when I return. I usually work about 16 measures at a time. It still takes me 4 weeks, but I'm working with the whole section the whole month. I hope I will be able to fold back in when late July rolls around.

User Info Menu

Here's my post for Conti TTI: Take The A Train -- Bars 1-16.

Note: In measure 16, I substituted one of his double stop lines from a previous project. I may go back to the original line in the next post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe

Note: In measure 16, I substituted one of his double stop lines from a previous project. I may go back to the original line in the next post.
    Hey I love how you pitched mm. 9-10 up an octave. It sounds muddy (to me) down low, but I like it up where you do it.

Sounds like the riff at the end of Satin Doll showing up there in 15-16 too!

We're already swapping lines around, which I think is the idea!

User Info Menu

I hope it's not irritating that I'm running ahead here, but I leave the country for 6 weeks a week from tomorrow and I want to finish this solo before I leave.

So I can hack this through to about measure 28, so this is mm. 1-28. Also, I've shamelessly hi-jacked losaltosjoe's transposition of mm 9-10 up an octave. That's just too, too, good not to adopt! Thanks Joe!

Problem I'm having with this is that while I know each line, the "logic" of the solo escapes me. For the most part, this feels like what it is: a collage of lines. I can't discern much flow between the phrases, although listening to the clip, I suspect a listener would think it sounds fine. I just find at the end of a line, sometimes I proceed to change over to playing the other solo using that line! Or I just freeze and can't remember what comes next. Possibly age-related!

An experienced musician might think it didn't develop a concept, maybe not. I do think the double-stop section helps to accelerate the solo toward the final A section, and m. 25-26 is very similar to 23-24, perhaps creating a since of unity and building toward a high point.

I notice also the figure E-F-A-C-E for starting an idea repeats 3 times in the solo, m. 17, 23, 31, but over different changes. M. 17 puts it over the Fmaj7, 23 over the Dm7 (not much different of course) then in 31 over the C6. I recall from Satin Doll also this was used over the Dm7-G7 and again over the Em7-A7 in the first A section. Clearly we have some little nugget of improvisational savvy here, a bit of complex theory rolled into a bite-sized chunk. It's also in two different fingerings, which is cool.

Anyhow, I hope I'll be able to take a standard and create a solo from our lines, but I might have to settle for enjoying yours and envying you while I'm having an entirely different kind of fun!

Last edited by lawson-stone; 06-03-2017 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey I love how you pitched mm. 9-10 up an octave. It sounds muddy (to me) down low, but I like it up where you do it.

Sounds like the riff at the end of Satin Doll showing up there in 15-16 too!

We're already swapping lines around, which I think is the idea!
    Thanks Lawson. I forgot to mention taking bars 9-10 up an octave.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. I forgot to mention taking bars 9-10 up an octave.
    And I've totally hi-jacked that idea in my clip! I did edit my post to give you a shout-out on that. It really helps me like this solo.

User Info Menu

I hope it's not irritating that I'm running ahead here, but I leave the country for 6 weeks a week from tomorrow and I want to finish this solo before I leave.
    Not irritating at all! Glad you could work it in before you leave.

So I can hack this through to about measure 28, so this is mm. 1-28.

Problem I'm having with this is that while I know each line, the "logic" of the solo escapes me. For the most part, this feels like what it is: a collage of lines. I can't discern much flow between the phrases, although listening to the clip, I suspect a listener would think it sounds fine. I just find at the end of a line, sometimes I proceed to change over to playing the other solo using that line! Or I just freeze and can't remember what comes next. Possibly age-related!
    I hear ya. For me, the next step will be to combine the "collage of lines" with variations on the song's melody to create better solos. This will take time. Age is my go to reason for lots of issues.

I notice also the figure E-F-A-C-E for starting an idea repeats 3 times in the solo, m. 17, 23, 31, but over different changes.
    Nice catch. I missed that one.

Lastly, I really enjoyed your take on bars 1-28. You have the chops to make these solos sound very musical.

User Info Menu

Not irritating at all! Glad you could work it in before you leave.

I hear ya. For me, the next step will be to combine the "collage of lines" with variations on the song's melody to create better solos. This will take time. Age is my go to reason for lots of issues.

Nice catch. I missed that one.

Lastly, I really enjoyed your take on bars 1-28. You have the chops to make these solos sound very musical.
    thanks! I've struggled with improvisation for years, decades, but in the last 2 years or so I've been learning solos like this, and like the Jimmy Raney solos, and it has made a huge difference. I feel like I'm making progress and no long just playing lame arpeggios and pentatonic licks.

User Info Menu

Hello people, this is my first post here. I was lucky enough to meet Andy B last week as he bought the Epiphone Elitist Broadway he was playing in an earlier clip from me. I hope he is enjoying playing it, it is a lovely guitar, but I can't keep too many unfortunately. Anyway he suggested I try this study group so I have had a go at the first 8 bars. I'm struggling with the tempo as I only have an old Aebersold backing track so the timing is a little scrappy but here goes, don't laugh!

Last edited by plasticpigeon; 06-04-2017 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Hello people, this is my first post here. I was lucky enough to meet Andy B last week as he bought the Epiphone Elitist Broadway he was playing in an earlier clip from me. I hope he is enjoying playing it, it is a lovely guitar, but I can't keep too many unfortunately. Anyway he suggested I try this study group so I have had a go at the first 8 bars. I'm struggling with the tempo as I only have an old Aebersold backing track so the timing is a little scrappy but here goes, don't laugh!

It's great to have you on board, your playing is fine don't be worried about posting your clips.
    I am enjoying the Broadway thanks, she is a beauty.

User Info Menu

Welcome platicpigeon! Nice job with the first 8 bars. The tempo of the Aebersold track is a bit too brisk for me. The pace of this study group should allow you to catch up. We're a very low maintenance group. Cheers.

User Info Menu

A-Train Improvisation
    Bars 1-16

Mike

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Study Group!

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    A-Train Improvisation
    Bars 1-16
    Mike
    Two thumbs up Mike!

User Info Menu

Love it !! I love the tone you are getting from that guitar and I also love the laid back feel you have in your playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So I can hack this through to about measure 28, so this is mm. 1-28. Also, I've shamelessly hi-jacked losaltosjoe's transposition of mm 9-10 up an octave. That's just too, too, good not to adopt! Thanks Joe!

An experienced musician might think it didn't develop a concept, maybe not. I do think the double-stop section helps to accelerate the solo toward the final A section, and m. 25-26 is very similar to 23-24, perhaps creating a since of unity and building toward a high point.

I notice also the figure E-F-A-C-E for starting an idea repeats 3 times in the solo, m. 17, 23, 31, but over different changes. M. 17 puts it over the Fmaj7, 23 over the Dm7 (not much different of course) then in 31 over the C6. I recall from Satin Doll also this was used over the Dm7-G7 and again over the Em7-A7 in the first A section. Clearly we have some little nugget of improvisational savvy here, a bit of complex theory rolled into a bite-sized chunk. It's also in two different fingerings, which is cool.

Anyhow, I hope I'll be able to take a standard and create a solo from our lines, but I might have to settle for enjoying yours and envying you while I'm having an entirely different kind of fun!

Sounds great. If I was that close to taking a long trip, I would frantically packing. Kudos to you, Lawson !!

User Info Menu

I agree that this feels more like a collage of lines than the previous solos did.

You are correct about that nugget on bars 17, 23 and 31. It can be used over many chords as we have seen E-F-A-C-E contains an Fmaj7, Dmin9, Amin, C6 as well as Cmaj7.

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard!

I import the Aebersold and other backing tracks into "Capo!" and then slow them down to a doable pace. That software does a nice job with changing the speeds. There are others too, but Capo! works for me.

User Info Menu

Here's Adam Hinchliffe's solo on A-Train that we are currently doing. After playing the initial solo, he shows what can be done using Robert Conti's lessons in reusing the lines and making the solo his own. This is something I'm having a problem with. Adam's solo is a good example of what can be done studying this material. I'm going back to the woodshed.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Here's Adam Hinchliffe's solo on A-Train that we are currently doing. After playing the initial solo, he shows what can be done using Robert Conti's lessons in reusing the lines and making the solo his own. This is something I'm having a problem with. Adam's solo is a good example of what can be done studying this material. I'm going back to the woodshed.

Mike
    Thanks for putting that up Mike, it gives me hope that someday we can all get there. It would be great to have Adam's input here, is there any way we can get in touch with him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks for putting that up Mike, it gives me hope that someday we can all get there. It would be great to have Adam's input here, is there any way we can get in touch with him?
    I only know Adam from his participation a while back on a Facebook page dedicated to Robert Conti's study materials and seeing a couple of his videos on the Conti site. He initially started just like us with Satin Doll and worked his way through the material. I wouldn't know how to contact him.

Good job on your solo!!

Mike