The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 91

User Info Menu

If it still works with everyone, let's stick to our "Tuesdays With Conti" schedule. In order to give folks who also participate in other study groups a little breathing room, I suggest that the "deadline" for posting the first 8 bars not be until April 4.

Let me know what you think of the following pacing guide:

April 4: Bars 1-8
    April 11: Bars 9-16
    April 18: Bars 17-24
    April 25: Bars 25-32

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a hard time with this tune. (I'm not talking about Conti's solo but about the tune, "Green Dolphin Street.") It never seems to hang together in my head. I'm now leaning heavily on this version by Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass. Ella tends to sing tunes "straight" (at least the first time through.) So I assume this is an accurate reading of the melody. Joe's playing is lovely, but I'm mainly interested in the melody and lyric. I realize GDS is a "must-know" standard, but I've yet to warm to it.

User Info Menu

I'm kinda glad to be skipping the Latin style for the A sections. That always seemed kind of a jolting structure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm kinda glad to be skipping the Latin style for the A sections. That always seemed kind of a jolting structure.
    Me too, Lawson, though I think that approach is common at jam sessions. It may be one reason for its appeal---two different feels. (I certainly don't think it's the lyric!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Me too, Lawson, though I think that approach is common at jam sessions. It may be one reason for its appeal---two different feels. (I certainly don't think it's the lyric!)
    True, but I think the solo choruses are all swing style, aren't they? My Jam session experience is pretty limited here in the wilds of Central Kentucky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It never seems to hang together in my head.
    That's a good way to put it -- the melody is one that [took] me quite awhile to memorize. I've tried to learn it several times in the past, but it never stayed with me. Once I decided to go "all in" with Ticket To Improv as the focus of my study, I was finally able to get it.

For me, at least, part of the problem was being pulled in too many different directions because of all of the materials that are available. Deciding to learn tunes -- and choosing a way (one way) to learn improv -- has made a big difference.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 03-27-2017 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

This is nice

User Info Menu

This is my favourite version. Canadian guitarist Lenny Breau and Bassist Dave Young recorded right here in my hometown (Toronto)

Enjoy

User Info Menu

Can't forget Miles.

User Info Menu

Here's my first installment. I also decided, since I don't know this tune, to try to learn the melody 8 bars at a time as I study the solo. So I play the melody, then there is a little turn-around, then the solo portion. It's a little off-kilter with the transition, but I hope by the end to have the melody and solo nicely joined.

Observations, advice and encouragement welcome!

User Info Menu

Way to get us started Snailspace and Lawson! Here's my first 8.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's my first installment. I also decided, since I don't know this tune, to try to learn the melody 8 bars at a time as I study the solo. So I play the melody, then there is a little turn-around, then the solo portion. It's a little off-kilter with the transition, but I hope by the end to have the melody and solo nicely joined.

Observations, advice and encouragement welcome!

Nice Job Lawson, the new Gibson sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Way to get us started Snailspace and Lawson! Here's my first 8.

And again great job, sounds nice and you have got the timing spot on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    OK here is my first 8 bars, with the thin pick.
    Nice job Andy! Loved the tone. If I didn't see it, there is no way I would have guessed that you were playing a tele with a .38 pick.

User Info Menu

You guys are sounding good!

I'll practice this tonight and record something tomorrow (Monday, 3 April) or Tuesday.

Great to see how much enthusiasm there is for this group.

User Info Menu

Hectic day here. This is a placeholder take---no backing track and I rushed the start of the last eight bars. But I'm in. And as writers like to say, "You can't revise a blank page." It's a start...

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1-8.

Mike

User Info Menu

Way to go Mark and Mike! Bars 1-8 in the books.

User Info Menu

How is everyone getting on with bars 9+10. The Doozie!

Its like a tongue twister for your fingers, a finger twister

User Info Menu

OK here are bars 1-16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    OK here are bars 1-16
    Well done Andy! Great playing and I like the production value (tone, backing track, balance).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Well done Andy! Great playing and I like the production value (tone, backing track, balance).
    Thanks very much. There are a few timing issues here and there I think.

I did things a bit differently this time. I live in a busy house with a quite a bit of noise, and its difficult to have quiet time to record my amp.
    So I have been playing about with Garage band to improve the Conti backing track, and I used a Line 6 sonic port with the mobile pod app, in to garage band on the iPad. No amp involved.
    Last edited by andyb; 04-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

On Green Dolphin Street Bars 9-16

Mike

User Info Menu

Still struggling with video and sound but wanted to get this to print. May post a second, if I can get the new webcam working.

User Info Menu

Here's my post for this week, measures 1-16. It's funny, these lines are not technically hard, but they are for some reason a little tricky to play in time with the right phrasing, which I suspect is part of the pedagogy going on here. I'm hearing some figures that repeat in different ways, and when I get them in the pocket, it really clicks, but until then, it... doesn't.

So this is a pretty slow tempo, too slow if I want to play the head of OGDS eventually. I'm using iRealPro for my backing track. I also did this one by clamping my GoPro camera to the headstock of the guitar, and the recording is just via the microphone on the GoPro.

I hope it doesn't make you motion-sick as the camera kind of moves with the guitar... or any other kind of sick!