The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 91

User Info Menu

Nicely played Lawson, I should think you could easily speed it up now you have it under your fingers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So here is my clip for the week at the "normal" tempo of Conti's backing track. Believe it or not, it has been so long since I worked with midi files, I couldn't figure out how to play it! But that's done now.

This is at the tempo of his file, which is about 100-110 I think. The count-off and lead-in throws me every time, but I've edited out the false start at the end of the count-off!

User Info Menu

I decided to try doing the first 16 bars of the head, followed by mm 1-16 of the solo, then repeat the first 16 of the head again. I'm using iRealPro 8 (beta) for the backing track.

User Info Menu

On Green Dolphin Street
    Bars 17-24

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    On Green Dolphin Street
    Bars 17-24

Mike
    Nice going Mike! I really like this 8-bar phrase.

User Info Menu

Here's shot at mm. 1-24. I found the figure in 17-18 hard to get the hang of, and then the triplet picking in 21-22 was hard to nail on the beat.

Anybody taken Conti up on the idea of doing mm. 17-20 in octaves? I am going to try it… stay tuned for an upcoming musical 9-1-1 call!

User Info Menu

I'm curious about how you guys are handling the RH part for measures 21-22, the triplet pattern. With the 3rd note of the triplet on a lower string, I'm finding I have to think about how to pick it. At the moment, I'm doing up-down-down. Plus it has to be done so that it's easy to meld with the preceding and following phrases.

Here's a quick clip I did of mm. 17-24, first slowly, then at tempo, zooming in mainly on RH. I'm not trying to tell you guys how to do it--far from it! I'm wondering if you have figured out a way that works for you to make it playable smoothly, cleanly, and transitioning from the previous phrase and into the following phrase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm curious about how you guys are handling the RH part for measures 21-22, the triplet pattern. With the 3rd note of the triplet on a lower string, I'm finding I have to think about how to pick it. At the moment, I'm doing up-down-down.
    Lawson - I'm currently picking measures 21-22 with down-up-down. (And taking it very slowly to make sure I get the timing, feel, and articulation.)

User Info Menu

I'm curious about how you guys are handling the RH part for measures 21-22, the triplet pattern.
    I am finding this tricky as well, I am trying to use down up up , then that sets you up for the E on bar 23 with a down.

Great playing by the way everyone.

User Info Menu

I was having some fun with this solo trying different guitars and amps (the ones that work, that is!) and thought I"d post this one with the ES175 through an old Polytone BabyBrute closed-back.

User Info Menu

I'm curious about how you guys are handling the RH part for measures 21-22, the triplet pattern. With the 3rd note of the triplet on a lower string, I'm finding I have to think about how to pick it. At the moment, I'm doing up-down-down. Plus it has to be done so that it's easy to meld with the preceding and following phrases.
    Down, Up, Up on the Triplets measures 21 and 22, and Down on the first beat of measure 23.

An Up stroke on the last beat of the Triplet puts me in position for the next Down stroke.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.

I'm curious about how you guys are handling the RH part for measures 21-22, the triplet pattern. With the 3rd note of the triplet on a lower string, I'm finding I have to think about how to pick it.]
    So, how does Conti do it in the video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I have looked at it several times, it looks like, down, up, up, to me. But I am not finding it easy, it's just 2 repeated notes, it should be straight forward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I just watched the video and it looks like he is doing Down, Up, Up on the triplets. It looks like a sweep motion up through the fourth string.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-15-2017 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Having played it a lot over the last couple days, I'm very happy with Down-Up-Up. For some reason it also allows me to hit the E natural on a downstroke with some definiteness when the triplet passage ends.

User Info Menu

Here's my post for Bars 1-24.
    New web cam: Logitech HD Pro C920
    New strings: Thomastik JS113 Medium Flatwound Jazz Swing
    Same old guitar player
    (Golden retriever barking in the background wants his walk)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Same old guitar player
    It doesn't get much better than this. Good job!!

I just bought a Logitech HD Pro C920. It's a lot better than the other one I was using.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-15-2017 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Same old guitar player

Spot on, sounds great. I will have to get my version recorded ASAP.

User Info Menu

Same old guitar player
    I'd say you "owned" the solo on that one. Well played. I enjoyed your own touches on it.

User Info Menu

I'll tell you the truth, I am totally struggling to keep up. I still can't get Outdoorsy one to come together, but I don't want to give up. So...
    I'm working on my first 8, and trying to "see" the chords I'm working out of. Plus I could comp it better. I found a couple of jam sessions locally and I "have a dream"
    Can someone gives me a good grip for bars 7&8?
    I've got for C6: x-7-5-5-5-5. Picturing it is helping me.

(It's that a normal notation? Frets, low to high, like open E would be E: 0-2-2-1-0-0. )

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Outdoorsy should have read "project" . Did you ever play something that sounded like a auto spell was putting in the notes? ????

User Info Menu

I haven't been worried about chords, I see this as a soloing thing only.

For me comping and chords are a completely different thing, and to be worked on separately. All the jam sessions I have been to have a pianist as part of the rhythm section, they would normally play the chords, and would prefer the guitarists stay out of the way. It can start sounding messy with everyone playing the chords. You can work with the pianist, but that is for another topic of study that we are not working on here.

My my advise would be to learn the lines, as Mr Conti explains. Eventually we should start seeing how to alter and fit the lines in to different tunes. You could look at the connection of the chord and the position of the line in relation to each other, perhaps putting a mark on the sheet music to give a reference point. I have been putting a red letter Q as my visual pointer or cue to where I see the relashonship normally on the E and A strings. And perhaps a short note if for example we play a minor pentatonic over the major chord.

I am sure if you focused on that you could catch up quite quickly, remember although this is aimed at the beginner jazz player, it's still tricky stuff to learn.

I hope this is helpful, perhaps at the end of this second tune we could have a couple of rest weeks for you to catch up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    I'll tell you the truth, I am totally struggling to keep up. I still can't get Outdoorsy one to come together, but I don't want to give up. So...
    I'm working on my first 8, and trying to "see" the chords I'm working out of. Plus I could comp it better. I found a couple of jam sessions locally and I "have a dream"

(It's that a normal notation? Frets, low to high, like open E would be E: 0-2-2-1-0-0. )

Thanks.

You are over-thinking this. Seriously, look at the tab, watch the video, use the fingerings he tells you. Don't sweat the theory. Learn the lines and let the pedagogy method he's using do the work.

I've taught language this way, simply starting people off with minimal grammar but teaching phrases, learning basic conversations, and later there is a better framework for learning the theory.

I studied chord-scale theory for over 20 years, learned CAGED, learned all kinds of grips and shapes, but still struggled to play anything. Conti's method, of simply imitating him, is making things fit together for me. It's so refreshing to take a break from all the "What's that grip? What's that scale?" obsession.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez

Hi Denny,

Let me echo Andy and Lawson's advice... listen to Mr. Conti, look at the tab, watch the video, use the fingerings he tells you. Conti has other products to help you with comping and chord progressions.

This is my second time through TTI Volume One. The first time was all about learning Conti's fingering protocol, improving my technique and phrasing, and getting jazz licks under my fingers and into my ears.

Going through it a second time has been a revelation as I can spend a little more time integrating the solo into the full song and try to figure out how to make the phrases reusable in other songs. I'm sure there will be a third time for me. There is just so much useful info here.

Regarding bars 7-8 of Green Dolphin Street, Conti uses C6 - B7#5 - Bb13 - A7#5#9. The lead sheet in the Real Book, Fifth Edition simply uses a Cmaj7 for 2 bars. Works great.

Send me a PM and I'd be glad to share my chord choices for the first 8 bars.

Hang in there!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. I DO want to play the song, 'cuz that's what I do.
    I had too many versions of Satin Doll and got messed up, so I thought I'd stick with Conti on this one.