The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Posts 326 to 350 of 402

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Frank Vignola's Rhythm Changes #5

I really like this one.
    Me too, I think they're all great (although I still don't like #2)...I didn't know there were so many when I got the book but I'm planning to keep on keepin' on.

Well played...nice analysis too...I'm seeing some of his ideas coming round again with little variations, the diminished line you like in bar 23 turns up in the same place in #6 for example.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here is my take on Frank Vignola's Rhythm Changes #6

Today is July 29. I am way behind my own self imposed schedule. this should have been done a month ago.

I made a few changes to the fingerings that he suggested.

Rhythm Changes #6

As always, let me know what you think.

I would also like to know, who is still in the room ? Am I playing to the walls ?

What i found interesting about this one:

1. The accidentals: The Eb in bar 1 accentuates the b9 in D7b9
    He often uses B natural to lead to C.
    C# to lead to to D (bars 3 and 5)
    Ab - The flat 3 on an F chord
    F# - To accentuate the F# dim chord
    Ab - To accentuate the Ab dim chord
    B - To accentuate the B dim chord

2. I love his downright bluesy ending (Bars 29 - 32)

3. The Bridge - Bar 17 and bar 21 are mirrors of each other.

4. I love the silence in the first 2 beats of bar 24. Brilliant.

I added octaves to bar 20

I added chords to bars 16 and 29.

Tell me what you think.

User Info Menu

Well done! You're not talking to an empty room. During the last two years I have twice been so obsessed with studying rhythm changes to the detriment of learning and playing over standards that it wasn't funny anmore so I'm taking a bit of a break from RC which doesn't mean that I'm not practising to improvise over them from time to time.
    When time comes I'll be back in the game, I guess - still lots of etudes in the three volumes. Glad that you keep the flame burning.
    Wonder if Mark is still around - he stepped down as moderator but does it mean he's also not around anymore?

I found this one to be much easier than the last 2

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes #7

Let me know what you think

I would also like to know how many guitarists are still in the room. It's awfully quiet around here.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Just found this thread and I would love to participate also . Rhythm changes is my current project of study.

- Rhizomeman

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizomeman
    Hi,

Just found this thread and I would love to participate also . Rhythm changes is my current project of study.

- Rhizomeman
    Please join us !!

Let me know if I can help out in any way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I would also like to know how many guitarists are still in the room. It's awfully quiet around here.
    I'm still following although not posting any recordings. You must be feeling pretty lonesome 'round here.

User Info Menu

I'm ordering the book right now . Really looking forward to digging into some Vignola rhythm changes!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes, I think that is the book. It's the one I'm getting.

User Info Menu

looks correct, I ordered the e-book. The first etude is "easy," but I'm certain the goal is to burn the sound into our ears as a smooth set of guide tones for our own solos. I didn't read much of this thread, so it might have been discussed already. I very quickly memorized the first two A sections of the first etude and immediately felt compelled to fill in the space with 8th notes utilizing just the major scale, diminished chord tones, and chromatic notes. I think I'll give etude #1 it's due study time

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758

Yes, there is a part 2 and a part 3 to this series. I think there is a version which contains all 3.

Hello, to the new joiners in the group. We outlined a very rough curriculum in post #270. Please do not feel that you need to stick to it or catch up as it were. Please feel free to look back at earlier posts and ask questions if necessary. This is meant to be group learning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could say a lot about this version of RC. I think I will wait to see how many viewers/listeners I have before I spill my thoughts.

RC#8

User Info Menu

Good job - interested in what you'd have to say about it. I seem to hear quite some CC phrasing there....

User Info Menu

Ok y'all - kids back at school so I've got my recording studio (aka kid's bedroom) back.

#6 finally recorded, got some catching up to do...

comments welcome as ever.

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes # 6 - Video Dailymotion

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Ok y'all - kids back at school so I've got my recording studio (aka kid's bedroom) back.

#6 finally recorded, got some catching up to do...

comments welcome as ever.

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes # 6 - Video Dailymotion
    Sounds great !!

User Info Menu

Nice playing, dot!

User Info Menu

Here's the next one - simple ideas, almost going back to the 'Basics' the book starts with but effective all the same (at least when Frank plays 'em). Easier than the previous etudes...

Did it in a rush before kids arrive to claim their space but...

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes # 07 - Video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

Doublea A

Join DateAug 2013Posts577

Rhythm Changes #8
    I could say a lot about this version of RC. I think I will wait to see how many viewers/listeners I have before I spill my thoughts.

You got me hooked ...?

Here's my take on it, another less busy one, (seems to be a theme for Book 2?)

fewer arps/scalar runs & more repeated motifs, lots more space. Some new rhythmic figures are used, previous etudes are largely 8th notes. The opening riff is revisited to close out the piece

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes #08 by dot75 - Dailymotion

User Info Menu

Yep,I have the books and would like to work through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Torito
    Yep,I have the books and would like to work through them.
    Join us !!

User Info Menu

Where is the group at now? (In Frank's book, I mean.) I might have time to get back into this series. I love the way Frank plays.

I am working on RC #9