The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 402

User Info Menu

I re-enrolled in Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Workshop and doing some serious 'shedding on material for that. Have less time for things here. (Things should balance out within the month.)
    Perhaps I'll take Etude #6 8 bars at a time, the way the Conti group is taking solos. Just a thought.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I re-enrolled in Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Workshop and doing some serious 'shedding on material for that. Have less time for things here. (Things should balance out within the month.)
    Perhaps I'll take Etude #6 8 bars at a time, the way the Conti group is taking solos. Just a thought.

I think that 8 bars at a time is a great idea. That is how I break my work down.
    Do whatever works for you Mark. I feel like way ahead of most of the group. I am still working on Etude #4.
    I have the first 16 bars up to 96 bpm but the last 16 bars are only at 80 bpm.

User Info Menu

I'm still in but due to family issues am behind....

User Info Menu

Another good (tuneful) one...

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes Etude # 4 - Video Dailymotion

I'm going away for a week soon so trying to get ahead of things, also trying to catch Mark up !

Sounds great dot75!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all. This group seems to be losing a bit of steam so I thought that I would re post our time line for anyone that has fallen off the tracks.

March - Etudes #1 and 2
    April - Etudes #3 and 4
    May - Etudes #5 and 6
    June - Etudes # 7and 8
    July - Etudes #9 and 10
    August - Etudes #11and 12
    September - Etudes #13 and 14
    October - Etudes #15 and 16

I posted Étude # 1 in March and I am planning on posting Étude #4 this weekend.

Do we want to discuss anything thus far ?
    What we have learned ?
    What we liked ? Didn't like ?
    What was difficult? Easy ?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Hello all. This group seems to be losing a bit of steam so I thought that I would re post our time line for anyone that has fallen off the tracks.

March - Etudes #1 and 2
    April - Etudes #3 and 4
    May - Etudes #5 and 6
    June - Etudes # 7and 8
    July - Etudes #9 and 10
    August - Etudes #11and 12
    September - Etudes #13 and 14
    October - Etudes #15 and 16

I posted Étude # 1 in March and I am planning on posting Étude #4 this weekend.

Do we want to discuss anything thus far ?
    What we have learned ?
    What we liked ? Didn't like ?
    What was difficult? Easy ?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

All good from my end - was hoping to post #5 before the weekend, trying to get a bit ahead.

I'm away from a computer (electricity for that matter) for a week but it turns out I'm up to date anyway.

I'm enjoying them (except #2, which I might go back & revisit to work out why), they're melodic & outline the changes clearly. One every couple of weeks is about right given that I'm doing other stuff too.

looking forward to the next one...

User Info Menu

I've been sick (nothing serious, but it really cut into my practice time) the past several days though I seem to be back to normal today.

Since #6 isn't due until next month, I may take a break from it and go back to earlier ones and see how they sound to me now and if any previous trouble spots can be smoothed out.

User Info Menu

I apologize for abandoning this group. I find memorizing 32 bars of note-for-note solos was becoming a chore I dreaded. 16 bars seems to be my limit. Perhaps I'll post two 16 bar segments for #3, if that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I apologize for abandoning this group. I find memorizing 32 bars of note-for-note solos was becoming a chore I dreaded. 16 bars seems to be my limit. Perhaps I'll post two 16 bar segments for #3, if that's OK.

Yes. Post what you can. It is not necessary to memorize the pieces. I definitely do not memorize them.

User Info Menu

Breaking them up into 8-bar sections seems natural. (One advantage of this approach is that it allows one, eventually, to mix-n-match sections from different solos into something new.

User Info Menu

Breaking them up into 8-bar sections seems natural. (One advantage of this approach is that it allows one, eventually, to mix-n-match sections from different solos into something new.
    I'm not memorising them either, I still need to glance at the music as I play.

I've started 'learning' the first 16 bars before going on to the B section, & I break that into 4 or 8 bar sections, depending where the lines go....

I learn 2 bars at a time at a very slow speed usually about 60 bpm. I will learn bars 1 and 2, then bars 3 and 4 and then I attach them. Learn 5 and 6 and attach them. Learn bars 7 and 8 and attach them. At this point I try to speed the whole bars up to about 80 bpm. This is when it starts to sound like music.

User Info Menu

Need to try that. I usually work on both of the A sections in their entirety until I have them halfway figured out, then I go to the B section and then the final A section. I always memorize the parts, too.

I am terrible at memorizing. So I don't.
    Know your strengths, know your weaknesses.

Not sure who is still in the room but thought I would submit my April contribution.

It is a little sloppy at the end but this was the best take I could muster

Rhythm Changes #4

May's assignment is Rhythm changes #5 or #6

Who's in ?

User Info Menu

Not sure who is still in the room but thought I would submit my April contribution.

It is a little sloppy at the end but this was the best take I could muster

Rhythm Changes #4

May's assignment is Rhythm changes #5 or #6

Who's in ?
    Still here - back from my week off & trying to get my fingers working again, post coming up

Yours sounds good btw...

User Info Menu

I think I did #5. I'll get back into this soon. Playing some others things of Frank now (-doing some triad studies and ii-V-I licks) Lately been playing etude #18 (think), from Volume 3, which is in G. Really like that one.

Glad the group is still moving along, albeit a little slower than it was in the beginning.
    That's not bad, though.
    Some who didn't have time to start then might start now... ;o)

I think I did #5. I'll get back into this soon. Playing some others things of Frank now (-doing some triad studies and ii-V-I licks) Lately been playing etude #18 (think), from Volume 3, which is in G. Really like that one.

Glad the group is still moving along, albeit a little slower than it was in the beginning.
    That's not bad, though.
    Some who didn't have time to start then might start now... ;o)
    If you want to check out some other Frank Vignola material, there is some really good user friendly stuff out there.

He has a couple of books published by Mel Bay. I have "Jazz Standard Chord Progressions". It looks like it re packaged and added additional songs to the series called "Jazz Solos". I believe there is a Volume 1 and a Volume 2. I think that they will be the focus of my next Study Group once this Study Group has run its course (wink, wink).

The stuff that he has done with TrueFire is also pretty good, especially "50 Jazz Guitar Licks you must know".

The teacher in me always wants to state what I have learned. So here are my thoughts on Frank Vignola's RC #4:

1. He is using much more chromaticism. Right off the bat we have Bb, C, Db, D. And, you can see chromaticism being used all over this piece. Bar 3, Bar 5, Bar 13, Bar 17, Bar 18, Bar 19, Bar 30, Bar 31.

2. Encircling target notes. The C on beat 1 of bar 2 is preceded by a B and a D. The B on beat 3 of bar 19 is preceded by an A and a C. The E on beat 1 of bar 22 is preceded by a D and an F. The Bb on beat 1 of bar 23 is preceded by a C and an A. I am sure that is at least one more example that I am not finding, but you get the picture.

3. The chords in this version offer many more substituted chords from the original Rhythm Changes. For example;
    The Bdim in Bar 1 is a substitution for the G7 which was the original chord in this song, likewise in Bars 3and 14
    The A-7 in bar 17 is an added chord from the original.
    The F7b9 in bar 24 (an F7 in the original).
    The D-7 and Db-7 in bar 25.
    The Bbdim in bar 27,
    The Edim bar 30.

Frank accentuates these substitutions by outlining them in some places. For example;
    Bar 3, beats 3 and 4 (and beat 1 of bar 4), clearly outlines Bbdim chord (Db, E, G, A, Bb).
    Also look at Bar 14. Frank holds a Db over an Edim chord, once again accentuating that chord.
    Over the F7b9 in bar 24, he plays Gb, Ab, resolving to F. Not necessarily something you would do over an F dominant chord.
    Bar 25, he plays B and Ab over a Db-7. The Ab "sticks out" because it is not a part of the Bb scale however, it fits perfectly with the substituted chord.
    Bar 27 features the same notes as the bar 3 example stated above, this time played an octave lower.
    Bar 30 also features a those same notes in a slightly different order over the Edim (which is the same as Bbdim). the notes are Db, E, A, G.

4. Bar 31 is a study on to itself. The tune ends with 2 bars of Bb. Frank could have resolved the song with a chord tone on beat one of bar 31 or anywhere on that bar. However, he does not do that. The first four notes are E, G, F# and E. they have nothing to do with Bb. By doing this Frank suspends the resolution until Bar 32. He basically preps us for the resolution in beats 3 and 4 of bar 31 with a pseudo arpeggio (F, D, Bb, G) and then resolves it on the F (much hipper than resolving it on the Bb). But the interesting part is beats 1 and 2 of bar 31. He is once again circling the target note (F) with a F# and an E. He precedes that by circling the F# with a E and a G. And he precedes that by circling the E with 2 G's. All this to say he delays the resolution by a few beats by inserting this lick which incorporates notes that have nothing to do with the Bb chord. Brilliant !!

As always, let me know what you think.

I have looked ahead to RC#5 and RC#6. I am going to try to do them both this month.

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola Etude # 5 - Video Dailymotion

Not sure who else's still around, it seems to have gone a bit quiet recently here but goes number 5.

It's only just occurred to me that I only know FV from these studies - anyone care to recommend some of his recordings ie music not instructional stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by dot75

Not sure who else's still around, it seems to have gone a bit quiet recently here but goes number 5.

It's only just occurred to me that I only know FV from these studies - anyone care to recommend some of his recordings ie music not instructional stuff...
    My favourite Frank Vignola recordings are "Vignola plays Gershwin" and "Playing the Standards" both are available on iTunes.

User Info Menu

My favourite Frank Vignola recordings are "Vignola plays Gershwin" and "Playing the Standards" both are available on iTunes.
    Cheers - don't know why it didn't occur to me before. I'll check those out...

Quote Originally Posted by dot75

Great job !!
    I love your tone.
    Well done !!

Frank Vignola's Rhythm Changes #5

I really like this one.

A lot of clever usage of Chromaticism and Arpeggios. A couple of Bluesy tones sprinkled in.

Here is what I learned from this:

Bar 1 - You don't have to start on the tonic.
    Bar 2 - When is a Gm not a Gm ? When you arpeggiate a Bb. Brilliant
    Bars 3-4 - F# to A resolving to G. Simple and Brilliant.
    Bar 6 - The Ab makes it Bluesy
    Bar 8 - I filled the void with little chord shots
    Bar 10 - When is a Chromatic line not a Chromatic line ? When it is playedI like the Chromatic line from Bb A G Ab A Bb. Brilliant
    Bar 13 - I slightly altered Frank's suggested fingerings.
    Bar 14 - Another way to approach Chromaticism. F D. F Db. F C and then . . .
    Bar 15 - more Chromaticism Bb G Ab A. and . . . . You don't have to end on the tonic.
    Bar 16 - I filled the void with little chord shots
    Bar 17 - Is essentially an arpeggio, but going straight up
    Bar 18 - More Chromaticism - D B C C#
    Bar 19 - Ending the phrase on the F# anticipates the upcoming D7 chord
    Bar 20 - I filled the void with little chord shots
    Bars 23 and 24 - My Favourite line in this whole piece. In fact I am planning on doing a video based on this line. Stay tuned.
    Bars 25 -28 - This sounds like a quote from an old Broadway song. Anyone out there know which song
    Bar 29 - The Eb makes it Bluesy
    Bar 30 - The Ab makes it Bluesy
    Bar 31 - More Chromaticism - C B Bb Ab A leading into an arpeggio. It would have been more chromatically correct to play C B Bb A Ab. However by flipping the last 2 notes, it accomplishes 2 things. 1. It's a little more interesting and less predictable. and 2. The Bb to Ab encircles the A which is the note that Frank wants to use to start his final arpeggio. Brilliant
    Bar 32 - Arpeggio. You can end on a tonic after all. Ahhhhh

Let me know what you think