The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 402

User Info Menu

Same here. When practicing a certain etude I often catch myself suddenly slipping into a phrase that comes from a different etude because I "hear" it in my head. I think that this a good thing because I'm starting to build kind of a repertoire of phrases of different length that I hopefully will be able to mix and match in the future - going to "real" improvisation from there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah TOMMO, my guess is Frank would see no problem in that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah TOMMO, my guess is Frank would see no problem in that!

I'd think that it's his goal in teaching via those etudes

I have a couple of TrueFire Frank Vignola Data Discs for Sale on Ebay in case anyone is interested.
    I tend to use the app on my iPad so I do not need the the disc.

It was sent to me by TrueFire Department of Redundancy Department. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I have a couple of TrueFire Frank Vignola Data Discs for Sale on Ebay in case anyone is interested.
    I tend to use the app on my iPad so I do not need the the disc.

It was sent to me by TrueFire Department of Redundancy Department. LOL
    Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Do you have a link?
    Frank Vignola Chord Melody Essentials

Frank Vignola 1 2 3 Jazz

Instead of just recording the etude, I tried to perform this as I would in a club.

1. Play the melody (to I Got Rhythm)
    2. Play the solo (Frank's Solo)
    3. Play Chords ( while the bassist takes his solo)
    4. Another solo (I wouldn't normally do that, but more on this later)
    5. Melody out

During the fourth chorus, I tried to incorporate a couple of things that Frank was stressing in his solo.
    Namely;
    1. Start and stop your phrases on off beats ( I can't believe how often I don't do that. So simple and so hip)
    2. Go up an arpeggio and down a scale or vice versa
    3. Leave space, let the music breathe
    4. I loved his use of sixths in bars 23, 24, 30, 31 (why don't i do more of that ?)
    5. Just because there is a diminished chord does not mean I need to stuff an entire diminished scale in 2 beats (Less is more)

Please let me know if I accomplished my goal

Frank Vignola Rhythm Changes #1

User Info Menu

Goal accomplished! I like that approach - putting an etude in an actual musical context!

Beautiful guitar, btw!

User Info Menu

Nicely done !! It's something I keep meaning to do myself - ie actually use this stuff instead of just learning it...gotta get organised...nice tone as well...

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola Etude # 2 - Video Dailymotion

Etude #2, can't say I enjoyed this one & the video's not great....time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Goal accomplished! I like that approach - putting an etude in an actual musical context!

Beautiful guitar, btw!
    The guitar is a D'Angelico EXL. I replaced the original pick up with a Benedetto. That pick up brought this guitar to life. I have had this guitar for about 8 years. I have 4 different pick ups and several different strings. I am now settled on the Benedetto with D'ADDARIO chrome 11's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Getting Etude #5 up to speed has taken longer than I expected. Still not there but day by day I'm getting closer.

User Info Menu

Third etude....I like this one too, another keeper. I'm planning to spend some time playing these first three with the backing tracks before tackling #4.

I kept on playing after the etude ended but luckily for us all the recorder's memory crashed after about 10 seconds so I faded it out.

Frank Vignola Etude # 3 - Video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Getting Etude #5 up to speed has taken longer than I expected. Still not there but day by day I'm getting closer.

Are you posting 'em ?

or am I not seeing the links again...damn Java/Flash ****'s...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Are you posting 'em ?

or am I not seeing the links again...damn Java/Flash ****'s...?
    No, I'm not recording them, much less posting them. When I get it up to tempo, I'll record it.

User Info Menu

Good job, dot75!

User Info Menu

No, I'm not recording them, much less posting them. When I get it up to tempo, I'll record it.
    I got a nasty surprise when I got a looper pedal & found some major holes in my playing...I started recording stuff even if it's not there yet just to concentrate my mind...

User Info Menu

A looper is a great tool, isn't it?

User Info Menu

I played to a backing track but you can't hear it on this video.

This is definitely an "I had to do something" take rather than a, "Gee, this is so good I should share it with the world" take.

Tomorrow is another day.

Love this etude, especially the final 8 bars.

User Info Menu

I played to a backing track but you can't hear it on this video.

This is definitely an "I had to do something" take rather than a, "Gee, this is so good I should share it with the world" take.

Tomorrow is another day.

Love this etude, especially the final 8 bars.

Another keeper..he does write good melodic lines..I'm resisting the urge to skip ahead.

Backing track comes through fine using headphones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    A looper is a great tool, isn't it?
    I'm a fan - got one of these,

Ditto Looper - Intuitive looper made by guitarists for guitarists | TC Electronic

dead simple - doesn't do anything but loop, recommended

User Info Menu

Yes - that's the one I have, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I'm a fan - got one of these,

Ditto Looper - Intuitive looper made by guitarists for guitarists | TC Electronic

dead simple - doesn't do anything but loop, recommended

One of these days.....

One of these days.....
    You sound great Mark !!
    We want want to hear your playing not the backing tracks.
    We hear you loud and clear. Good Work.

Hello All,

I am planning on starting up a Study Group in May 2017 based on Randy Vincent’s book “The Cellular Approach”. I figured that we could give everybody a month to check out the book and decide whether or not they would like to commit to the group. The book explores cellular improvisation. A cell is a four note group with at least 3 chord tones. It is meant to lead to building improvisations that are melodic and follow the chord changes logically.

The Introduction reads: “This book is a collection of things to practice on the guitar that will help to develop the vocabulary of jazz improvisation while simultaneously developing and maintaining single-note technique. . . . the focus will mainly be on “cellular” improvisation, which is using very short melodic cells strung together into longer lines. Once we get to the place where we are using strings of cells for “outside” and “free” playing we will move beyond the cellular concept and into some other approaches. I have included many lines and phrases transcribed from the recordings of several master guitarists to demonstrate the validity of the concepts behind the exercises given.”

There are 5 chapters in this book: Chapter 1 - Cycles and II-V Sequences (247 examples). Chapter 2 - Turnarounds (163 examples). Chapter 3 - Longer Progressions (192 examples). Chapter 4 Outside and Free Playing (113 examples). Chapter 5 - More Outside Lines - All Purpose Licks including Chromatic Intervals, Serial Tone Rows, and 23rd Chords (99 examples)

I have had this book on my shelf for the past 2 years but I have only played the first 5 pages. Maybe a group will help motivate me and others to incorporate this concept into my own playing.

The book does not come with a CD (at least my book didn’t). I use iRealPro for backing tracks.

1. My plan right now is to learn 10 examples a month. Each example is only 2 to four bars long. I have completed the first 12 with minimal effort. I would estimate that this is a 1 to 2 hour commitment per month. We may want to change this depending on the pace maintained by the group once it gets going, plus at that rate it would take us 6 years and 9 months to complete the book.
    2. Discuss or post your performing of the examples.
    3. Discuss or post where to play the “Cells” on the neck of the guitar. Even though Randy does give some indication where he would like the cells to be played, as we know they are always alternative fingerings.
    4. Discuss or post the application of these “cells” into Jazz Standards. I think that this is the most vital part of the exercise. A concept is only a concept until it is made a reality (I just made that up. It is not a famous quote)
    5. At some point, (maybe at the conclusion) I would combine this with Randy’s other famous book “Line Games” and see how it relates to the playing of great guitarists like Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow, Pat Martino and Joe Pass

I will be posting this on several threads so I apologize if you seeing this more than once.

Let me know what you think.