The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Every time I go browsing on Amazon I stumble upon new jazz guitar books from authors I've never heard of, there seems to be a lot of stuff out there, I'm definitely in the mood to check out something new. Anybody have any favorite newer jazz guitar books, or maybe books that are a little less well known but are awesome?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi SP,

Being a devotee of pianist/educator Barry Harris, I'm a big fan of Roni Ben-Hur's book 'Talk Jazz Guitar'. It's based on Barry's teachings and is a detailed look at scales and arpeggios (with patterns, enclosures etc) that form the basis of bebop vocabulary.

There is a table of contents and some preview pages at Welcome To Roni Ben-Hur's Website

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-talk-jazz-guitar-ben-hur-roni-9780974494326-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 08-13-2016 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-chordability_sq_011419-jpg

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-mcjg-jpg

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-ccjg-jpg
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-13-2016 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Pat Martino all books.

User Info Menu

This is a good book by Bunky Green. (It's made up of two books, "Inside Outside" and "Jazz in a Nutshell.") A treasure trove of top-drawer ii-V-I material. (Not a guitar book---Bunky plays sax----but the lines are first rate.)

Attachment 34662

Jamey Aebersold Jazz: Shortcut to Jazz - Essential Jazz Licks by Bunky Green
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 08-13-2016 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Jazz School Online - Shop barry harris harmonic method for guitar! the author is a forum member here and a hell of a guy. changed my playing for the better more than any other book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-chordability_sq_011419-jpg

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-mcjg-jpg

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-ccjg-jpg
    Big fan of both of these Jabs, he's a great player, think he lives in Germany?

User Info Menu

Highly recommend both books in this series, a lot of the triad plus one note Jordan is into in his "4 note blues" thread is well presented in this book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"How to Sight Read Jazz and other Syncopated Type Rhythms' by Mike Longo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Jazz School Online - Shop barry harris harmonic method for guitar! the author is a forum member here and a hell of a guy. changed my playing for the better more than any other book.

Aw shucks.

Thanks Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
    Every time I go browsing on Amazon I stumble upon new jazz guitar books from authors I've never heard of, there seems to be a lot of stuff out there, I'm definitely in the mood to check out something new. Anybody have any favorite newer jazz guitar books, or maybe books that are a little less well known but are awesome?
    I'm a big fan of anything by Bill mcCormick, especially the the 3 Rhythm changes books

Bill McCormick | mPub | Jazz Guitar Books for Sale

User Info Menu

Favourite lesser-known jazz guitar books?-img_0803_zpsqhznionx-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I'm a big fan of anything by Bill mcCormick, especially the the 3 Rhythm changes books

I've heard about those books but never seen a copy, so I have no sense of what they're like. Could you enlighten me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've heard about those books but never seen a copy, so I have no sense of what they're like. Could you enlighten me?
    you can buy them at the link I provided.

As best as I can tell, McCormick had to give up playing guitar for physical reasons, and so started composing for jazz guitar. I get the idea he was a Mick Goodrick disciple for a while, but I'm not sure. In any case, all his stuff is firmly in the tradition although it can get pretty modern. Everything is cleverly/carefully thought out in terms of how it lays on the guitar.

Some of his things are complete "chord melody" arrangements, others are comping studies that range from very traditional 4-to-the-bar diatonic stuff to very out/extended harmony stuff.
    Those rhythm changes books are basically etudes that cycle through the keys
    each chorus with a certain vibe or approach.

some of the tunes were recorded by some great guitarists in a CD he put out, so I'f you're willing to pay 10$ for the CD (well worth it in my opinion) you'll hear a range of what his arrangements are.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mu...-1/id140026861

The rhythm changes books are closest to instructional books, some of the others are more chord melody arrangements/compositions, but this ain't Howard Morgen, it goes way beyond.
    Last edited by pkirk; 08-14-2016 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds good, Paul. There's so little out there on Rhythm Changes (an out-of-print Joe Diorio book is worth investigating). Most of the best material is now on video. Tom Lippincott's two-part series for Mike's Master Classes is excellent and very thorough, covering all stylistic bases. It comes with a ton of examples and commentary in PDF form that I bound so I guess that counts as a book!

Tom Lippincott
    Rhythm Changes - Modern Jazz Guitar Approach - Part I | Lesson by Tom | Mike's Master Classes
    Rhythm Changes - Modern Jazz Guitar Approach - Part II | Lesson by Tom | Mike's Master Classes

User Info Menu

One I've raved about in other threads is Randy Vincent's The Celullar Approach. Each chapter contains enough information to constitute a separate book. For instance, the examples and concepts in the "turnaround" section can all be applied to rhythm changes, in itself one big turnaround (with the B section as a kind of fractal expansion of the A). This book gets students thinking laterally - and I mean that both in terms of concepts and the guitar neck - and in-position. It promotes great phrasing via the written articulations without the author even drawing attention to that bonus. All of Vincent's books are worth picking up but this one is particularly well put together.

Jazz Guitar Soloing: The Cellular Approach by Randy Vincent | Sher Music Co.

User Info Menu

I used to have a copy of Murphy Gripwolf's "Woodshed Essentials - Basic Arpeggios and Chainsaw Repair Manual".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I used to have a copy of Murphy Gripwolf's "Woodshed Essentials - Basic Arpeggios and Chainsaw Repair Manual".
    Useful if you have an electric chainsaw with a broken cord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk

Thank you very much Paul. My books can be purchased at Bill McCormick | mPub | Jazz Guitar Books and CDs.

Cordially,

-Bill McCormick

User Info Menu

My forthcoming tome - Advanced Email Sending for Jazz Musicians