The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Posts 326 to 350 of 432

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I think we are all saying the same thing. We have have slightly different ways of seeing the shapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. The guitar is a unique instrument in that you could for all practical purposes learn to play from a completely geometric viewpoint, with no regard for notes of a scale, arpeggios, modes, or pretty much any of the trappings of conventional theory. If you can translate chord symbols to shapes and then have a system of corresponding scalar/arpeggiated shapes that sound good around those chord shapes, you could visualize the whole thing (tensions, resolutions, etc) in terms of relative geometric patterns. Of course on some level what you would end up doing would connect back to more conventional theory, but there is certainly a possibility to navigate the guitar purely based on concepts of fretboard positioning. Though perhaps more importantly, you would lose fluency in communicating with other musicians. Just interesting how that possibility is there with the guitar like no other instrument (other than cousin string instruments of course).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It may be a good time to see where we are as a group and where we want to go.

This group was slow to get rolling. (I accept full responsibility for that.) Now it's moving along. Is everyone okay with the pace and direction? (I guess we'll move on to "Bounce Blues" as more of us work through "Blues In C.")
    I thought I'd replied this this earlier but anyway, sounds OK to me, gotta couple more choruses to go on C blues but I'm happy enough with the pace & enjoying everyones' posts. Keep on keepin' on...

User Info Menu

Here is today's take of the first chorus. (I apologize for the false start.)

User Info Menu

Very nicely done, Mark.

User Info Menu

I can't believe how hard this was

Bars 1 -36 @ 104bpm

I had more flubs on this one than all my other ones combined today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I can't believe how hard this was

Bars 1 -36 @ 104bpm

I had more flubs on this one than all my other ones combined today
    Glad to see I'm not the only one trailing Mark...

the trouble I have playing this is that I can't always 'hear' what he's doing rhythmically at the turnarounds - the accents don't always fall where I want them too. I loop those bits & play along until I get it in my head but it takes me a while.

I'm a chorus away from finishing so I'll try & get it sorted...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Glad to see I'm not the only one trailing Mark...

the trouble I have playing this is that I can't always 'hear' what he's doing rhythmically at the turnarounds - the accents don't always fall where I want them too. I loop those bits & play along until I get it in my head but it takes me a while.

I'm a chorus away from finishing so I'll try & get it sorted...
    I agree. There are sections where I feel off balance. Like I am going to fall off my stool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Couple of fluffs towards the end & my time's not great, I blame the 'rhythm' (Ha!) guitarist clunking away in my ear...glad I got to the end tho'

Blues In C - Video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

Couple of fluffs towards the end & my time's not great, I blame the 'rhythm' (Ha!) guitarist clunking away in my ear...glad I got to the end tho'

Blues In C - Video Dailymotion
    Well done !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Glad to see you're still in the game - may the craziness end..

User Info Menu

First 12 bars of Bounce Blues...

Bounce Blues 12 Bars - Video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

First 12 bars of Bounce Blues...

Bounce Blues 12 Bars - Video Dailymotion
    That sounded real good, good tone and good time.

User Info Menu

Time flies out the window about halfway through. Sorry about that. But I felt like I was falling behind and needed to record several things this morning. This was the third one.

User Info Menu

Good stuff - nice guitar too...I've started recording a backing track with herb in my headphones, then I play along with that...if it's out of time then it's clearly herbs fault...

User Info Menu

Hello All,

I am planning on starting up a Study Group in May 2017 based on Randy Vincent’s book “The Cellular Approach”. I figured that we could give everybody a month to check out the book and decide whether or not they would like to commit to the group. The book explores cellular improvisation. A cell is a four note group with at least 3 chord tones. It is meant to lead to building improvisations that are melodic and follow the chord changes logically.

The Introduction reads: “This book is a collection of things to practice on the guitar that will help to develop the vocabulary of jazz improvisation while simultaneously developing and maintaining single-note technique. . . . the focus will mainly be on “cellular” improvisation, which is using very short melodic cells strung together into longer lines. Once we get to the place where we are using strings of cells for “outside” and “free” playing we will move beyond the cellular concept and into some other approaches. I have included many lines and phrases transcribed from the recordings of several master guitarists to demonstrate the validity of the concepts behind the exercises given.”

There are 5 chapters in this book: Chapter 1 - Cycles and II-V Sequences (247 examples). Chapter 2 - Turnarounds (163 examples). Chapter 3 - Longer Progressions (192 examples). Chapter 4 Outside and Free Playing (113 examples). Chapter 5 - More Outside Lines - All Purpose Licks including Chromatic Intervals, Serial Tone Rows, and 23rd Chords (99 examples)

I have had this book on my shelf for the past 2 years but I have only played the first 5 pages. Maybe a group will help motivate me and others to incorporate this concept into my own playing.

The book does not come with a CD (at least my book didn’t). I use iRealPro for backing tracks.

1. My plan right now is to learn 10 examples a month. Each example is only 2 to four bars long. I have completed the first 12 with minimal effort. I would estimate that this is a 1 to 2 hour commitment per month. We may want to change this depending on the pace maintained by the group once it gets going, plus at that rate it would take us 6 years and 9 months to complete the book.
    2. Discuss or post your performing of the examples.
    3. Discuss or post where to play the “Cells” on the neck of the guitar. Even though Randy does give some indication where he would like the cells to be played, as we know they are always alternative fingerings.
    4. Discuss or post the application of these “cells” into Jazz Standards. I think that this is the most vital part of the exercise. A concept is only a concept until it is made a reality (I just made that up. It is not a famous quote)
    5. At some point, (maybe at the conclusion) I would combine this with Randy’s other famous book “Line Games” and see how it relates to the playing of great guitarists like Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow, Pat Martino and Joe Pass

I will be posting this on several threads so I apologize if you seeing this more than once.

Let me know what you think.

User Info Menu

Made an adjustment to how my right over fits over the guitar and I think it will make a big, positive difference. But there's an adjustment period....

This is three takes, with several versions of the ending phrase. My pick position has to change a bit because my arm position has changed. Think this will make me much more consistent. Eventually...

User Info Menu

Stuck...I can't get the next 12 bars , especially can't play the triplets it starts with

1. using downstrokes (sounds better to me)

2. anywhere near up to speed

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a little while...

User Info Menu

Stuck...I can't get the next 12 bars , especially can't play the triplets it starts with

1. using downstrokes (sounds better to me)

2. anywhere near up to speed

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a little while...
    It takes the time it takes. Try not to waste energy fretting about it. I often start things at 48 bpm on the metronome. Almost everything is playable at that tempo. If that's not slow enough, cut everything in half. (Play eighth notes as quarter notes, quarter notes as half notes, make each measure two measures. Whatever it takes. Then build from there.)

You can play. Never think you can't play. If you can't play THIS yet, well, that's not such a big deal. You can learn it just like you've learned a lot things you once couldn't play at all but can now play fluently.

(The above pep talk is one I've needed to hear a few hundred times now. ;o)

User Info Menu

Advice duly taken, there's a metronome at 100 bpm, although you probably can't hear it...

Herb Ellis Bounce Blues 24 Bars..Slowly - Video Dailymotion

First 2 choruses Bounce Blues...Slow as you like.

User Info Menu

Advice duly taken, there's a metronome at 100 bpm, although you probably can't hear it...

Herb Ellis Bounce Blues 24 Bars..Slowly - Video Dailymotion

First 2 choruses Bounce Blues...Slow as you like.

Nice! If you can make the lines flow---and you do---at any tempo, you can make them flow a little faster. (But a lot of classic jazz blues is played at less than 100 bpm.)

I didn't hear the metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    If you can make the lines flow...
    I still have trouble 'hearing' some of his lines rhythmically, the accents don't fall where I want them to.

My bad clearly but it makes 'em hard to play...

User Info Menu

I still have trouble 'hearing' some of his lines rhythmically, the accents don't fall where I want them to.

My bad clearly but it makes 'em hard to play...
    Herb had a great sense of rhythm. Sometimes what he's playing is (arguably) not-quite-the-same as what is written in the book. One approach is to find a way to make the line sound good by itself and then work out the nuances. After all, our mission is not to play it exactly as Herb did (-not that there's anything wrong with that!) but to learn good lines, and how they work, so we can use them in our own solos.

User Info Menu

Just finished "Blues in C" from Swing Blues, one thing I don't understand, why Herb used shapes not from the chord to create lines?

First 9 bars from "Blues in C" is pretty straight forward, if you see C7 use Shape 1, F7 = Shape 3, G7 = Shape 5. Just like he shows us how the shapes are related to the chords from previous examples in the beginning of the book. But when we go to bar 10th, he didn't change to Shape 3 for F7, instead keep using Shape 5, which is a shape related to G chord. Same thing happens to the rest of the song. Can someone please explain this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    I'm far from qualified to actually explain this, but I doubt that Herb was "drawing by numbers" all the time, so to speak. Even if for the most part he focussed on the chords of the given moment and played mostly lines that emphasized chordtones - and therefore made use of shapes which put the arps and scales fitting the given harmony right under the fingers - he surely could and would use chord-scales or just play in the key center whilst improvising whenevver he felt like it. Actually, that's why I'd like to work with his very first blues-centered book first - in it he starts introducing his concepts at a slower pace, introducing only two shapes per study and thereby making it much easier to follow his application of the shapes. But as I said, those are just a poor man's two cent - until know I only finished "Blues in C", so what do I know...
    Thank you tbone, I'm trying to learn all the songs from this book first, without thinking too much about the "shapes" thing.
    Btw, does anyone know where the changes from "Bounce Blues" & "Bay Blues" come from?
    According to the tape, Herb said "Bounce Blues" is "the most common progression played by jazz artists."
    But I couldn't find this progression anywhere else, all the "jazz blues" progressions are quite different from this one.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

First post to the forum, long time lurker! So I was inspired by this thread to get the three Ellis books. I really like the premise of using shapes as the foundation for solo lines. Going through the blues volume, I could mostly see how the shapes relate to the lines Herb is playing. It made sense and it was super helpful.

However as I get into the Rhythm Changes book, I'm having a hard time seeing how the shape is really at the root of his solos.

For instance, the book starts out with a bunch of examples over the A part and says that Herb is playing out of the first shape for the first 8 bars.

In my mind, and maybe this is where I go wrong, that means he would be kind of sticking around B flat, playing B flat arpeggios and major scale, kind of how he does in the blues book.

But looking at what he's doing, it looks like he's following the harmony - he's playing C-, F, Bb arpeggios in a way that to my mind would imply he's playing out of more than one shape. At that point is the really just playing that one shape or is something more complicated going on there? Feels like 3 shapes or more.... If someone can help make me make sense of this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!